Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default 2008 Salary Cap Thoughts

As it stands the Steelers have some pretty big money tied up in some of their top players for next year - some of which clearly have to be restructured.

Hines Ward

2007 - $5.9million
2008 - $7.5million

+$1.6million

Marvel Smith

2007 - $6.5million
2008 - $6.5million

Ben Roethlisberger

2007 - $2.3million
2008 - $5.6million

+$3.3million

Chukky Okobi

2007 - $2.5million
2008 - $3.4million

+$0.9million

The good news is the Steelers 'gain' $700,000 in dead money relative to this year from Duce Staley's contract.

Duce Staley

2007 - $3.9million
2008 - $3.2million

What are the Steeler nations thoughts on these numbers?

Obviously Polamalu's contract runs out this year, so if he gets re-signed it will probably be another $5million toward next years cap.

Will Hines re-sign and restructure or will he be allowed to go his own way?

Marvel Smith has cap numbers similar to Faneca is he worth that?

If Chukky Okobui doesn't win the starters position at centre $3.4million seems a bit extravagent.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: 2008 Salary Cap Thoughts

Dont believe that I agree with ya that McFadden is ready to take over anyone's starting position myself, dont see it happening unless he really see's alot of improvement over last season. If the Steelers dont resign Troy then it just goes to show you that they are very worried about the concussions alot more than what anyone thinks. If Chuki Okobi is Not the starter this season, then they , the Steelers, need to just release the man and count their lost time with him. He has been here long enough and making alot too much mone$$$ to be sitting on the bench.. The Steelers wouldnt have traded up to get a punter that early if they did not plan on him being the starter for years to come would they?... I dont think so..I for one hope that Hines retires a Steeler. And Marvell Smith probably wont be here much longer if he doesnt restructure his contract...
R.I.P. Deuce!!!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,180 Times in 2,659 Posts

the steelers are currently under the cap. including staleys dead money.

Quote:
On or around December 4, 2006, Staley was cut. This resulted in dead money. Since he is a veteran with who was on the opening day roster, his base salary is guaranteed and counts in full. In addition, his prorated signing bonus for 2006 ($1,171,250) will count on the 2006 salary cap. The remainder of his prorated signing bonus ($2,342,500 – dead money) counts towards the 2007 salary cap. His cap value for 2006 remains the same ($2,671,250).
we are out from under his contract in 2008. (im not positive but i think there are league rules that when you cut a player you must "pay off the balance" of their pro rated signing bonus.

faneca - 6.1
duce-----2.3
hartings-- .8
porter--- 1.3
others---- .6 (approx)

$11.1 mil wil be saved (of of our current "budget" by getting rid of these players) the salary cap is said to raise from $109 mil to $116 mil = $7mil

$18.1 mil - $5.8 (for bens, hines, and okolbis payraise = $12.3mil

i'll subtract another 4 mil for players like taylor, willie, etc who also get a little bump in pay (i dont feel like doing all that math right now) = $8.3 mil, but i will add that right back by not resigning clark haggans. i forgot gardocki being gone so that gives us an additional $1.3 mil.

$13.6 mil under the cap is my semi quick guess where we will stand. this gives us alot of wiggle room. if troy is franchised he will count about 4-5 mil against the cap which is easilly affordable. if he is extended long term he will count less than $1 mil and his signing bonus will be pro rated over the entire course of the contract. either way it still leaves plenty of room to extend simmons, marvel smith, anthony smith, and b. mcfadden.

if any desperation measures arose, or if their was a free agent we couldnt live without, we could restructure with hines, not resign tuman, and cut wilson, kirschke.

so getting rid of porter and faneca helps (the cap) alot. granted we didnt get any picks but it looks like the majority of the core is gonna remain and were not focused on gearing up for a mass exodus.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,180 Times in 2,659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I don't see us letting Hines go ever, because he's the veteran face of the team. He'll retire a Steeler unless he goes the way of Jerry Rice and wants to keep playing until he can hardly stand up.

They'll pay Ben and Troy whatever they want. Smith looks like he'll have to restructure or he's gone; same with Okobi -- unless he has a good year, in which case we're getting a decent deal.

I can also see mid-range guys like Wilson, Carter or Clark going in order to free up a couple million. Gardocki is probably gone, which I don't think anyone's too sorry about, and which saves us another million down the road.

And sadly, Farrior is the oldest guy on the team after Batch, so he might not be around much longer. Townsend is only a few months younger, so it's likely they'll try to push him out the door, especially since they've got a guy like McFadden ready to take his place.
with faneca going and hartings gone, i dont think we wanna push smith, simmons and starks all out the door at the same time. pretty much the same guys had a bad year in 2003 and rebounded to win a sb in 05. theres something to be said for keeping some continuity for ben. the coaches are trying to work out last years problems with current personell so lets give it a chance and not throw the baby out with the bath water.

we may not need to pay troy whatever he wants. atlanta dan pointed out a coupla months ago that hes the best candidate to receive the 1st franchise tag weve handed out in years. this article sums up why perfectly:

http://www.steelersalarycap.com/arti...dowithTroy.htm

Quote:
Written by steelersalarycap April 27, 2007

The playmaking safety, Troy Polamalu, has a contract that expires at the end of the 2007 season. The Steelers have several options available to them ? let him sign with another team after the season, wait until after this year to resign him, extend his contract this offseason, trade him now, or use the franchise tag on him next year.

I say franchise him for a year or two, and here?s why.

First, at times, safeties need to make hard, bone-crushing tackles. They need to utilize speed and change directions quickly. They have many chances of getting injured ? more so than defensive line, offensive line, quarterbacks, and wide receivers. These positions have lower rates of injury; therefore, are less risky investment.

In addition, coach Tomlin has played a Tampa Two type defense. It is not known if he will implement this scheme with the Steelers, but over time I would think he would. Polamalu would certainly be great in a Tampa Two, but other players could do the same job for cheaper. In the Tampa Two, he would be asked to drop into coverage much more often than he does now. Signing Polamalu to a long-term contract with a possible switch to the Tampa Two seems like overkill to me.

Also, Polamalu and his agent certainly know the amounts of guaranteed money in the contracts signed this offseason. He would most likely want atleast $15 million guaranteed ? if not a lot more.

A long-term investment in a position that has a higher rate of injury and in a position that may see a reduced role (as the Tampa Two is implemented) seems unwise.

Instead, I believe the Steelers would be better using the franchise tag on Polamalu. This would give them the ability to keep him on the roster without a long-term investment. This past year, the franchise tag for safeties was only $4.49 million. This will certainly go up next year, but even at $6 million ? it is worth it.

Polamalu is one of my favorite players, and I wish he would retire a Steeler. However, the business side of football may not agree. Even after franchising him for a year or two, and long-term contract could be reached in the future. So, he might still retire a Steeler.

Polamalu would not like being given the franchise tag, but those are the rules of the league. Other teams use the franchise tag. At times, other teams have used the franchise tag and later resigned that player to a long-term contract.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Without a doubt I don't see Ben, Hines, or Troy having too much contract trouble unless there is another issue like the current one with Faneca. Okobi and Marvel will probably get a restructured contract. Although, if that doesn't happen I see Marvel leaving before Chukky.

~Polamalufan43
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
ben2hines=6
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2277

i called into savarn last night about the hines contract situation.....he said that he couldnt see hines being willing to restructure his contract this late in his career.....if santionio has a great year and passes ward to be the number 1....i cant see us paying a number 2 recever that much money....what r ur thoughts????
ben2hines=6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2hines=6 View Post
i called into savarn last night about the hines contract situation.....he said that he couldnt see hines being willing to restructure his contract this late in his career.....if santionio has a great year and passes ward to be the number 1....i cant see us paying a number 2 recever that much money....what r ur thoughts????
Hines is what... 30...31? If I'm right and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure his contract has him covered until around the age when he might consdier retiring.

~Polamalufan43
Old 05-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalufan43 View Post
Hines is what... 30...31? If I'm right and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure his contract has him covered until around the age when he might consdier retiring.

~Polamalufan43
It was a four year contract, signed two years ago. Which means, in two years, we will have to sign Hines again, or let him go. However, that does fall right in line with Santonio's contract (within a year or so). Since Hines got his BIG contract from the Steelers, I could see him signing another 1 or 2 year contract for a reduced amount at the end of this career, much like Bettis.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #9
drew102e
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5081

they better not mess with hines, he epitimizes steeler football