Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-22-2007, 08:00 AM   #21
noto45
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 984
Default Contract Status

It seems to be quiet on the Steelers side lately. is there any word at all on Troys contract or signing any of our draft pikcs?

"You play tough, you play smart, and above all ..... you play physical."
noto45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 AM   #22
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482
Default Re: Contract Status

I havnt heard anything about it. But I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt get done closer to training camp since typically thats what Ive seen.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #23
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Training camp is 2 months away, but Tomlin sees much to do

Training camp is 2 months away, but Tomlin sees much to do
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The whistle around coach Mike Tomlin's neck should be a tip-off that it's not business as usual with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Bill Cowher was never seen tooting a whistle during his 15 seasons as the Steelers' coach. Nor was Chuck Noll during his 23 seasons. So some Steelers players were taken by surprise when Tomlin, and not a designated assistant coach, sent them scurrying to a new drill with a whistle blast during their recent minicamp.

For Tomlin, it might be a way to remind the players that he is in charge, especially given the not entirely enthusiastic response to his hiring four months ago.

Already, the 35-year-old Tomlin has been forced to deal with All-Pro guard Alan Faneca's very-visible unhappiness with his contract situation ? and, by Faneca, some of the strongest in-house criticism of Steelers ownership in club history.

Several other players made it be known they wished the Steelers had promoted from within to replace Cowher, rather than hiring a young former assistant coach with only one season as an NFL coordinator.

If Tomlin is uncomfortable with these off-field issues, he has yet to show it. He appeared to be fully in charge during the required three-day minicamp from May 11-13, drawing praise from some players for being a hands-on and motivated leader who cared not about his lack of experience or his players' opinion of him.

"Their job is to play," Tomlin said. "My job is to evaluate them."

There will be a lot of evaluation this week as the Steelers begin 14 days of voluntary-in-name-only practices that will extend into mid-June, ending five weeks before training camp opens in Latrobe on July 23.

Normally, such workouts are for incorporating new wrinkles into the offense and defense and indoctrinating rookies and new players.

But, with the Steelers overhauling their offense and defense for the first time since Cowher took over in 1992, these practices will involve more than that.

"We're getting into a critical stage of the offseason," Tomlin said. "We're continuing to install our football, continuing to work on situational football, continuing to work the details that will allow us to be successful."

Our football?

"We've been using that phrase quite a bit: our football," Tomlin said. "It's our personality, what kind of culture we are trying to create in this building and with this team. The only way you do that is keep coming together and keep working on the details."

Among those details are new offensive looks on first and second downs that may involve four receivers and no fullback. The offensive checkoff system has been altered so quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be responsible for all changes at the line of scrimmage; before, the linemen and receivers made their own such calls.

"Sometimes," Roethlisberger said, "change isn't necessarily bad."

In the next month, Tomlin plans to rework much more than that.

"We're going to have two-minute emphasis, red zone emphasis, short-yardage emphasis days, hurry-up offense, no-huddle offense," Tomlin said. "Just situations that need to be addressed. We know the outcome of games are defined by what happens on critical downs, in critical field position."

The workouts supposedly are voluntary, but Tomlin has hinted he wants all players around. Faneca promised when the minicamp ended that he wouldn't be back until training camp, and there has been no signal he has changed his mind.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #24
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482
Default Re: Training camp is 2 months away, but Tomlin sees much to do

Quote:
For Tomlin, it might be a way to remind the players that he is in charge, especially given the not entirely enthusiastic response to his hiring four months ago.
It seems like the sherriff has arrived. I like what Tomlin is doing. He is simply letting the players know...this is his team. What is in the past is over with. Time to move forward.

Quote:
Our football?

"We've been using that phrase quite a bit: our football," Tomlin said. "It's our personality, what kind of culture we are trying to create in this building and with this team. The only way you do that is keep coming together and keep working on the details."
I like that phrase. 'Our Football' It shows passion and accountability. Something tells me this is going to be a hard nosed football team that shows Tomlins character and love for the game
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #25
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Training camp is 2 months away, but Tomlin sees much to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
It seems like the sherriff has arrived. I like what Tomlin is doing. He is simply letting the players know...this is his team. What is in the past is over with. Time to move forward.

I like that phrase. 'Our Football' It shows passion and accountability. Something tells me this is going to be a hard nosed football team that shows Tomlins character and love for the game

i am glad to see that Mikey T is showing them who is the boss.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Contract Status

Troy's contract will probally be domne by the end of training camp.I think Troy wants his proccess to stay private so I doubt we will hear much about it.

Rookies from rounds 4-7 will probally start signing contracts come mid-June and the talks for round 1-3 picks normally don't pick up until the second week in July so don't expect to hear much on that front in the next two weeks.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote