Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Marshall begins bid to join Steelers

Quote:
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A regular at his church also happened to be a celebrity.
The teenage boy figured he'd never get near Kordell Stewart, and he wrote a letter that he could give to the then-Steelers quarterback while Stewart was signing autographs or posing for pictures.

But after one service at Macedonia Baptist Church in the Hill District, Rasheed Marshall got a chance to talk to Stewart one-on-one and tell him what he had put in that letter: how he also played quarterback as well and had the same number as Stewart and played for a school that also wore black and gold.

Roughly a decade later, Marshall is hoping to add another similarity between the two, albeit with a twist. The former Brashear High and West Virginia star is trying to catch on, literally, with Stewart's former team.

The quarterback-turned-wide receiver will be among those taking part in the OTAs (Organized Team Activity) that start today at the Steelers' South Side facility. The optional practices that will be held through mid-June are especially critical for Marshall because he is still trying to master a new position, not to mention the Steelers' playbook.

"I think the more reps that I get will be a lot more helpful," Marshall, a Pittsburgh native, said of the importance of OTAs. "I've got to catch up. I think for myself the biggest thing is the mental standpoint of it. I think the athletic ability and talent is there."

The two have never been a question with Marshall, who capped a stellar career at West Virginia by winning Big East Offensive Player of the Year honors his senior season.

His size -- he admits he is 6-foot tall, even though Marshall is listed at 6-1 -- led to a move to wide receiver, and the 49ers took Marshall in the fifth round of the 2005 draft.

He played in 12 games his rookie season, primarily as a kickoff and punt returner, and totaled 575 return yards.

"Going into the second year out there, I think that's when I felt the most comfortable playing wide receiver," Marshall said. "But in any other NFL organization, sometimes it doesn't work out."

Marshall, 25, didn't survive the 49ers' final cut and then fell victim to a different kind of numbers crunch.

Since he had spent more than nine games on an active NFL roster, Marshall was ineligible for any team's practice squad.

With no other team willing to sign the player that was still something of a project to its active roster, Marshall returned to Pittsburgh.

He continued to train, and he worked out for a handful of teams.

Shortly after last season, Marshall signed with the team he used to watch every week on TV.

That was the easy part.

The hard part is sticking with the Steelers, as they return their top four wide receivers from a year ago as well as Willie Reid, who missed most of last season with a foot injury.

"I definitely think there's an opportunity," Marshall said. "At this point and time, I'm just trying to keep picking up on the ins and outs of the playbook. For the most part, I have all of the concepts down. I still need to tighten up on knowing my assignments and things like that because there's a lot of information."

Here are Rasheed Marshalls stats since getting into the NFL:
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552570
Looks like he is strictly a special teamer....has been clocked at 4.45
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Marshall begins bid to join Steelers

As long as he doesn't become another Kordell. We do have lots of receivers, will be interesting to see who make the team.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
skinart82
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3485

He actually owned up to not being a QB
skinart82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Hmmmm, another Antwaan Randel El? Think Tomlin would go for it?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
qbvision.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 5560

Actually I know Rasheed pretty well. I am a WVU ALumni and my brother played ball with him at WVU. He is a really talented athlete and I would love to see him make the squad. I think he would be a great replacement to Randal El. Rasheed we WVU Mounties are pulling for you.

GO STEELERS!!
qbvision.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,338 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It will be interesting to see what kind of lineup we have at widereceiver.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

As long as he inherits the Steelers mentality when on the football field, I'm all for him. Going to school at WVU, I'm sure he's fully aware of the Steelers Fan mentality so that may be of some assistance for him.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
SteelerWatch
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5526

I'd love to see him fill a Randle El-type role, but we lost a special talent when Antwaan left for the Skins. Granted, he's a niche player -- he'll never, never NEVER be a #1 receiver -- but he was a great weapon because of his versatility. If this guy is close to that, I'll be happy, but I'm not gonna count my chickens yet. We have a ton of talent at wideout right now, and considering that we just added one via the draft, I think we'd be hard-pressed to justify having more than six on the roster. Maybe he'll stay on the practice squad for a year and move up when Cedrick leaves (and he WILL leave, because he's not worth the money we're dropping on him).
Old 05-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #9
TX Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5558

Hey, Tomlin wants guys who love football. This guy sounds like he would go above and beyond to play for the Black & Gold.

Best of luck to him.
TX Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #10
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Wow.