Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #21
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Faneca a no-show at Steelers practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Not a big deal, only a story because in Pittsburgh everything Steelers is a story.
Tom
If that ain't the God's honest truth!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #22
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

No surprise, but I agree that Faneca needs to grow the h*** up.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #23
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I wish we would just trade him honestly. We have some good young offensive linemen and the sooner the get experiance the better. The Cards were honestly considering trding Larry Fitzgerald earlier in the year and, since he will probably end up there anyway, why not see if we could send Fanceca for the old Pitt receiver? While that sounds very unrealistic I can only imagin what Whisenhunt and Grimm would do to get him. A line with Oliver Ross, Faneca and Levi Brown on it wouldn't be that bad. Fitzgerald with Holmes and Ward makes sense. We don't have a tall go get it receiver... I know, It probably sounds crazy but w/e... I would do it.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:10 AM   #24
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphissteelergirl View Post
No surprise, but I agree that Faneca needs to grow the h*** up.

i couldnt have said it better.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Steelers linemate accepts Faneca's absence

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, May 24, 2007

Marvel Smith has been a mainstay at left tackle. He's the first Steelers offensive lineman in recent memory to open his rookie season as a starter. Smith and left guard Alan Faneca formed the backbone of the line.

When asked what it would be like lining up without Faneca -- he has missed the first two voluntary organized team activity sessions because of a contract dispute and insists 2007 will be his last season with the Steelers -- Smith said he and Faneca make a perfect team.

"Now it's just at a point where we have our own communication out there," said Smith, who has started the past four seasons beside Faneca. "Somebody (else) that might play next to me, it's a completely different communication than what me and Alan use. A lot of times we don't even say anything to each other, because we know what each other sees out there at the same time."

Smith said that while cohesion and continuity are important to effective line play, Faneca's absence isn't a concern.

Faneca is expected to miss all 14 workouts, but he will report for training camp in July.
"The offensive line is the one position in football where if everybody's not on the same page, no play is going to work," Smith said. "Me, personally, I'm not worried about Alan not being here. We've played together for a long time. Him not being here right now isn't a big deal. It's not even mandatory. We all know what we're going to get from Alan when he gets here."

Smith said playing beside Faneca helped make him a better player. A second-round draft pick in 2000, he began as a right tackle before switching to the left side in 2003.

While making the transition to left tackle, which is difficult because it involves protecting the quarterback's blind side, Smith was hampered by a pinched nerve in his neck. He appeared in only six games that season and was placed on injured reserve.

"Moving to the left side was a challenge, but it's easier getting used to playing with a player that plays at his level," Smith said of Faneca. "He helps you play better, and mentally I know I've got to play at the level he plays at."

Smith, considered one of the best left tackles in the NFL, appreciates the shift in philosophy under new coach Mike Tomlin that will allow quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to make the offensive line calls. Previously, the center and two guards made those calls.

"It's good for Ben to see everything that's going on and not rely on us to make the calls," Smith said. "Last year, we made calls, but sometimes we weren't on the same page with him. In a loud stadium, he can't sometimes hear the calls that we're making. If he's back there making the calls, everybody knows what's going on. It makes things a lot more simplified, plus it will help him progress that much more reading the defense."

Asked to compare the Steelers under Tomlin and under Bill Cowher, Smith said, "It's almost like night and day. It's nothing like the way it was when coach Cowher was here. Everything's new, but it's all in how you interpret it and take in the knowledge they're trying to give us. It's some things added to the playbook that the offense didn't do in the past. Once we all get used to it, we're going to be that much better of an offense than we were last year."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_509184.html