Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,282 Times in 2,880 Posts
Default Re: Will Roethlisberger be cashing in early?

Based on Ben giving an interview this afternoon, I retract my previous comments about Ben being a diva for blowing off yesterday's interview request.

As for whether Ben still has an attitude, this interview, which is posted here in full, has some comments where Ben certainly does not lack for self-esteem.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger knows his next contract is not far off, but that he might have to wait until next year to get it.

"I have enough to think about right now," Roethlisberger said today. "Job security is always important but there's a lot going on right now with other guys and so I'm not going to sit here and gripe and complain. I'm just going to let things happen that happen."

Typically, the Steelers wait until their quarterback has two years remaining on an existing contract before they are willing to sign him to an extension. Roethlisberger's six-year deal he signed as a rookie runs through the 2009 season.

Roethlisberger admits there was some resentment toward him in the Steelers locker room early in his career because of the big money he made as a No. 1 draft choice, but he sees a change.

"I think there was at first, but I think guys have learned that it's OK, we've grown into that," he said

"As in everything, I always want to get better and I'll want to get better at being a leader -- not taking over, just being a presence in there for guys. I want guys to know that if they're in any kind of problem, if they need to come talk to someone, if they need a place to stay, a car, anything I can help them with, I will be more than happy and willing to do that. I just want them to always know that and I think guys are starting to understand that more, especially the younger guys as they come up."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07144/788797-66.stm

My understanding was the vets' resentment of Ben was because of his demeanor, not because of his contract, but I guess Ben sees it differently.

Sounds like Ben recognizes the old guard still has little regard for him. Anyone think Faneca is coming to Ben for advice?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Sounds like Ben recognizes the old guard still has little regard for him. Anyone think Faneca is coming to Ben for advice?

Maybe if Fanca wants to try being a hood ornament over the summer lol.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:03 PM   #13
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
"Roethlisberger admits there was some resentment toward him in the Steelers locker room early in his career because of the big money he made as a No. 1 draft choice, but he sees a change."

My understanding was the vets' resentment of Ben was because of his demeanor, not because of his contract, but I guess Ben sees it differently.
Ed Bouchette is not quite accurate that Ben was a "No. 1 draft choice," but he was a first round draft choice, and was paid comparably to other first round picks. My guess is that any locker room resentment really was more about money, because the kid started winning games as soon as he stepped under center.

Winning has a habit of making everyone feel all warm and fuzzy. When the Ws are piling up, nobody complains about personality or work ethic.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I'm not shocked that he decided to skip the interview. Not a bad idea, keep things quiet while they go on.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Based on Ben giving an interview this afternoon, I retract my previous comments about Ben being a diva for blowing off yesterday's interview request.

As for whether Ben still has an attitude, this interview, which is posted here in full, has some comments where Ben certainly does not lack for self-esteem.
I think c0ckiness in a QB is a desirable trait, as opposed to a QB with no confidence and who is scared of his own shadow (Maddox).
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
Ed Bouchette is not quite accurate that Ben was a "No. 1 draft choice," but he was a first round draft choice, and was paid comparably to other first round picks. My guess is that any locker room resentment really was more about money, because the kid started winning games as soon as he stepped under center.

Winning has a habit of making everyone feel all warm and fuzzy. When the Ws are piling up, nobody complains about personality or work ethic.
Myron Cope unloaded on Ben for making a big splash about donating his 2004 playoff check in the Jets game to tsunami victims as showing up the vets. At that point Ben had not lost a game - my bet is Myron had some locker room sources who backed him up on that.

There is a difference between being a brash leader and a showboat. I think that is what drove Cowher up the wall when Ben complained about playing through the "broken toes" and the "broken thumb."

Those issues had nothing to do with salary.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Myron Cope unloaded on Ben for making a big splash about donating his 2004 playoff check in the Jets game as showing up the vets. At that point Ben had not lost a game - my bet is Myron had some locker room sources who backed him up on that.

Seriously, who cares what he does with his money. Its his money do it with and donate it to whatever he likes. Sounds like some guys were jealous that he wanted to be generous and not greedy.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
Seriously, who cares what he does with his money. Its his money do it with and donate it to whatever he likes. Sounds like some guys were jealous that he wanted to be generous and not greedy.
Myron said it far better than me:

[Cope] said he would excoriate Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers' rookie quarterback, for announcing that he would give his game's salary to tsunami relief, then challenging his teammates to do the same.

"I love the kid, but this stinks," Cope said during an interview at his condominium. "You shouldn't make contributions to charity public. And for all he knew, someone else in the locker room was donating twice as much."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/15/sp...9lI71hHiMm0c4A
Old 05-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #19
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Myron said it far better than me:

[Cope] said he would excoriate Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers' rookie quarterback, for announcing that he would give his game's salary to tsunami relief, then challenging his teammates to do the same.

"I love the kid, but this stinks," Cope said during an interview at his condominium. "You shouldn't make contributions to charity public. And for all he knew, someone else in the locker room was donating twice as much."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/15/sp...9lI71hHiMm0c4A

maybe he was jealous that he didnt want to depart with his money as ben did. (dont kill me for saying that.) i always think its a good thing when a public figure does something good for the less fortunate. We always hear about the bad stories, when there are many good stories that dont get told about high profile people actually trying to do something good. And if I were Ben at the time I would have told Cope to stick.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
maybe he was jealous that he didnt want to depart with his money as ben did. (dont kill me for saying that.) i always think its a good thing when a public figure does something good for the less fortunate. We always hear about the bad stories, when there are many good stories that dont get told about high profile people actually trying to do something good. And if I were Ben at the time I would have told Cope to stick.
I think Cope had a problem with Ben tooting his own horn for it, rather than the act of donating his playoff game paycheck itself. I have to admit it does make a person look somewhat disingenuous - it makes it look like they had alterior motives for donating the money in the first place. It almost makes that person look like they donated money just to generate pub for themselves rather than to genuinely help those in need.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote