Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Which deal do you make?
Sign Roethlisberger and Ward 27 79.41%
Sign Faneca and Polamalu 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #31
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: You are the Steelers GM.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1207 View Post
+1

Here is a hypothetical for you, based totally in fantasy, just for discussion purposes, of course.

The Patriots can keep Tom Brady, but they have to cut A. Thomas, R. Moss, and D. Stallworth to pay for his new extension; or they can cut Brady loose right now, keep the other three guys and have Matt Cassels start at QB.

Make a choice, one or the other. If I were the Pats GM I would cut Brady. Hell, I would have cut him last month after he was photographed wearing a Yankees hat.
I'll keep Brady and cut R.Moss, A.Thomas and D.Stallworth to pay for the extension.

My reasoning would be that Brady won 3 rings without those guys and he could probably win another if they had to leave the team again.

See how easy that was?

No whining about 'unrealistic options' no fabricating of options that don't exist ie the mysterious Ben/Troy option that appeared at some point.

Easy.

Next?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #32
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5008

Ben/Troy may not be an option you proposed in your poll, but "realistically" it is the one option that will most likely play out. Fanaca is most likely good as gone, especially considering his comments to the media prior to mini-camp. The Steelers will most likely sign Troy to a lucrative contract this summer, and then concentrate on Ben after that. As for Hines, he just got his deal two years ago, and if he becomes to expensive for his production, he will be asked to restructure, or get the ax.

So, I guess what I am getting at, is how can you have a poll, without the most realistic option as one of the options? It would be like conducting a poll on the Republican Primary race without including McCain, Gulliani, or Romney as choices in the poll.
1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #33
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1207 View Post
Ben/Troy may not be an option you proposed in your poll, but "realistically" it is the one option that will most likely play out. Fanaca is most likely good as gone, especially considering his comments to the media prior to mini-camp. The Steelers will most likely sign Troy to a lucrative contract this summer, and then concentrate on Ben after that. As for Hines, he just got his deal two years ago, and if he becomes to expensive for his production, he will be asked to restructure, or get the ax.

So, I guess what I am getting at, is how can you have a poll, without the most realistic option as one of the options? It would be like conducting a poll on the Republican Primary race without including McCain, Gulliani, or Romney as choices in the poll.
You basically answered your own question for me.

If I put the most obvious answer, which also happens to be the most favorable answer, as an option everyone would have voted for it - therefore negating the need for a poll in the first place.

So we would have learnt that everyone loves Ben and Troy more than Hines and Faneca - I dont think anybody would be fainting with surprise at those findings, right?

I look forward to your forthcoming poll based upon the question : 'Do we want to win the Superbowl this year?'....dont forget to include the most realistic answer
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #34
Stillers43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2322

Troy and Ben

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
Stillers43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #35
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
You basically answered your own question for me.

If I put the most obvious answer, which also happens to be the most favorable answer, as an option everyone would have voted for it - therefore negating the need for a poll in the first place.

So we would have learnt that everyone loves Ben and Troy more than Hines and Faneca - I dont think anybody would be fainting with surprise at those findings, right?

I look forward to your forthcoming poll based upon the question : 'Do we want to win the Superbowl this year?'....dont forget to include the most realistic answer

If you want to go with the most obvious/favorable/popular answer then I will take option "D", the Steelers will keep all four, Ben, Troy, Hines, and Alan; plus they would have found some way to keep Porter; and to top it off they will win the Super Bowl from now until eternity! I beleive if that was an option, it would have received 100% of the vote.

All I am saying is your poll is flawed because the Steelers do not have to choose between Ben/Hines, or Troy/Alan. They have to choose between Ben, Troy, and Alan (most likely being able to keep two out of the three); and in a year or two, decide whether or not Hines is still worth his contract.
1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #36
ircurt11
Water Boy

Member Number: 5359

I voted for Ben and Ward. Faneca is getting older and he only has a good year or two left in him. I'm not saying that Polamalu is an acceptable loss, in fact for a secondary that's struggling like our's, a veteran Steeler back there to take charge is the biggest need right now. But Hines Ward is such an awesome complete package that it would be impossible to pass up on him: he's got the hands of a receiver and can make big, clutch catches and he also is a beast blocking.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #37
BeuffordLTD
Water Boy

Member Number: 5608

Voted Faneca and Troy...Ben and Hines can be negotiated later.

But I guess that's why I am in front of my TV in my office watching the Steelers, instead of in the Steelers Front Office and on TV.
BeuffordLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #38
steelcity58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3251

Sign Roth and Polamalu...

Tell Hines just to be Hines..and that's all he needs...

Tell Faneca to call a cab...his things will be sent to him...COD
steelcity58 is offline   Reply With Quote