Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Another Terrorist Plot Thwarted (JFK)

and once again, hats off to homeland security.....

Three Arrested, 1 Sought in Terror Plot on New York City's JFK Airport
Saturday, June 02, 2007

NEW YORK ? Three people were arrested and one was being sought in an alleged terror plot which involved blowing up the fuel line that feeds an international New York City airport, the FBI announced Saturday.

The plot, which never got past the training stages, would have set off explosives in a fuel line that feeds the John F. Kennedy Internation Airport in Queens and runs through several residential neighborhood, officials said.

Russell Defreitas, the plot's mastermind and a Muslim U.S. citizen from Guyana, was arrested Friday night in Brooklyn. Abdul Kadir, a citizen of Guyana who has served as a member of the Guyanese Parliament, and Kareem Ibrahim, a citizen of Trinidad, are in custody in Trinidad. The fourth suspect, Abdel Nur, is a citizen of Guyana. The United States plans to seek their extradition.

The group, which been planning the attack since January of 2006, were targeting a pipeline that carries fuel from a facility in Linden, N.J., to the airport and runs through several residential neighborhoods. An FBI released statement said the plotters conspired to destroy buildings, fuel tanks, and fuel pipelines at JFK airport with explosives.

Defrietas said in a transcript released by the FBI that the alleged attacks would destroy "the whole of Kennedy," according to an FBI press release, and that only a few people would survive the attack. In carrying out the alleged plot, Defreitas unknowingly recruited an FBI informant.

He also compared the plot to 9/11, saying "even the Twin Towers can't touch it," and it would destroy the economy of America for some time."

"Anytime you hit Kennedy, it is the most hurtful thing to the United States. To hit John F. Kennedy, wow ... they love John F. Kennedy like he's the man. If you hit that, this whole country will be in mourning. It's like you can kill him twice."

Defreitas was expected to appear in court at 2 p.m. Saturday in Brooklyn.

If convicted, the four suspects could face live in prison.

An FBI spokesman said there is no threat to air safety or the public in relation to the plot.

JFK handles on average over 1,000 flights daily, approximately half of which are international flights, and handles annually approximately 45 million passengers and

more than 1.5 million tons of cargo with an estimated value of $120 billion, according to the FBI.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,277337,00.html
Old 06-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts
Default Re: Another Terrorist Plot Thwarted (JFK)

Great news that they stopped this craziness early on but based on this quote it does not sound like these were criminal masterminds:

Defrietas said in a transcript released by the FBI that the alleged attacks would destroy "the whole of Kennedy," according to an FBI press release, and that only a few people would survive the attack. In carrying out the alleged plot, Defreitas unknowingly recruited an FBI informant.

He also compared the plot to 9/11, saying "even the Twin Towers can't touch it," and it would destroy the economy of America for some time."
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,879 Times in 4,504 Posts

Quote:

"Anytime you hit Kennedy, it is the most hurtful thing to the United States. To hit John F. Kennedy, wow ... they love John F. Kennedy like he's the man. If you hit that, this whole country will be in mourning. It's like you can kill him twice."
definitely doesnt sound too bright. good too know they werent ablt to get beyond the planning stage. planning it is the easy part. to catch them before they were even able to get to materials aquisition or beginning to execute is definitely a good sign.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I have to agree that it's good they stopped this one before anything major really happened.

~PF43
Old 06-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

And another one bites the dust!

Good on ya, DHS!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
"like he's the man"
Apparently this dope is the Paris Hilton of terrorists.

Quote:
were targeting a pipeline that carries fuel from a facility in Linden, N.J., to the airport and runs through several residential neighborhoods.
My sister lives in Jersey, personally I really don't care how smart or dumb these scumbags happen to be, it's better that they nipped this in the butt rather than hearing the news report that there are extensive civilian casualties after a terrorist attack. If they followed through with this plot and it succeeded we would have people complaining that our homeland security is not doing it's job (rightfully so).

Keep up the good work guys.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Nice work Homeland Security.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Apparently this dope is the Paris Hilton of terrorists.

My sister lives in Jersey, personally I really don't care how smart or dumb these scumbags happen to be, it's better that they nipped this in the butt rather than hearing the news report that there are extensive civilian casualties after a terrorist attack. If they followed through with this plot and it succeeded we would have people complaining that our homeland security is not doing it's job (rightfully so).

Keep up the good work guys.
as you know i work on an air force base. its in the middle of nowhere with el paso being the biggest city 100 miles away, and one time i was talking to a Col. (who happened to be a stealth pilot) and out of curiosity i asked him how the base gets all its jet fuel. i said "you never see tankers bringing it in".

he replied "thats a good question".

point is, it seems that it would be so much easier to trip up these terrorists once the plan is beginning to be executed. the fact that the fbi and HS is tapped into the talk and planning (that you would think is the safest and most secretive), phase is definitely reassuring. while they may have been retarded enough to be tripped up you cant underestimate their abilities to recognize and find a target in the 1st place. where theres a will, theres a way.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
where theres a will, theres a way.
It is now being reported that they had connections to the terrorist group Jamaat Al Muslimeen. These animals are the same group that attempted a coup d'etat against the government of Trinidad and Tobago back in 1990. It ended with 40 dead.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #10
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
It is now being reported that they had connections to the terrorist group Jamaat Al Muslimeen. These animals are the same group that attempted a coup d'etat against the government of Trinidad and Tobago back in 1990. It ended with 40 dead.
hmmm. i vaguely remember that. any word if theyre sponsored/grandfathered by al qaeda? or are they their own seperate group?