Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Steelers putting in the time on special teams

Steelers Revenge Tour '07........

IS ONLY STARTING!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,866 Times in 2,111 Posts

Quote:
I just think Mike Tomlin's attention to detail and fundaments is going to do the Steelers wonders.....
alot of people claim x's and o's werent cowhers strongest traits as a coach.

alot of people also think we have already seen tomlins strengths as a "people person", and they are eagerly awaiting to see if tomlin can handle the x's and 0's and game mgmt aspects of the game.

i will contend that those actually are his strengths and everything else we have seen to this point are just gravy.

he is a student of the game, not a student of interpersonal relationships, and if he couldnt be an upgrade over the old regime in actual game management, the rooneys never woulda hired him. his people skills are just a bonus, not his strength, or else he woulda never climbed up the ranks as fast as he did.

he is the total package, and who knows, while we havent seen him do squat on the field, he could be bill belichick with a personality of somethin other than a curmudgeon. or not. all i know is hes taking over a better franchise than what belichick took over before people knew who he was.

and where did belichicks team make their 1st initial (and biggest) impact? the kicking game against the raiders and the special teams against pittsburgh.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

alot of people also think we have already seen tomlins strengths as a "people person", and they are eagerly awaiting to see if tomlin can handle the x's and 0's and game mgmt aspects of the game.

i will contend that those actually are his strengths and everything else we have seen to this point are just gravy.

he is a student of the game, not a student of interpersonal relationships, and if he couldnt be an upgrade over the old regime in actual game management, the rooneys never woulda hired him. his people skills are just a bonus, not his strength, or else he woulda never climbed up the ranks as fast as he did.
That showed up pretty well last year ESPECIALLY IN the 2-6 stretch. During the 6-2 stretch, he had no problems with it.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
That showed up pretty well last year ESPECIALLY IN the 2-6 stretch. During the 6-2 stretch, he had no problems with it.
actually cowher coached good games in the 2-6 stretch, the players just had problems (lack of focus) executing it. it wasnt x's and o's that caused hines ward to fumble against denver, the meltdown against the bungles or atlanta, ben starting against the raiders. the only one i'd really place of x's and o's is giving up the lead against the chargers. even against jacksonville its possible to say we had the right gamep-lan in but not the right qb.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
actually cowher coached good games in the 2-6 stretch, the players just had problems (lack of focus) executing it. it wasnt x's and o's that caused hines ward to fumble against denver, the meltdown against the bungles or atlanta, ben starting against the raiders. the only one i'd really place of x's and o's is giving up the lead against the chargers. even against jacksonville its possible to say we had the right gamep-lan in but not the right qb.
Or at least we had things go wrong at the wrong time.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:

he is the total package, and who knows, while we havent seen him do squat on the field, he could be bill belichick with a personality of somethin other than a curmudgeon. or not. all i know is hes taking over a better franchise than what belichick took over before people knew who he was.

and where did belichicks team make their 1st initial (and biggest) impact? the kicking game against the raiders and the special teams against pittsburgh.
"and where did belichicks team make their 1st initial (and biggest) impact? the kicking game against the raiders and the special teams against pittsburgh."

I just wanted to copy and paste this post...Since you're totally right.....Thats why I'm glad Mike Tomlin is making the special teams such a focal point.....

I will say this and I won't compare Mike Tomlin to Belichick since its not a fair comparison but in my opinion I don't think the Steelers will ever be out coached by a HC like Belichick again....It wasn't that I don't think Cowher was a bad Xs and Os guy...He was just to damn stubborn at times and feel in love to much with his power running game...
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #17
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post

I will say this and I won't compare Mike Tomlin to Belichick since its not a fair comparison but in my opinion I don't think the Steelers will ever be out coached by a HC like Belichick again....It wasn't that I don't think Cowher was a bad Xs and Os guy...He was just to damn stubborn at times and feel in love to much with his power running game...
and he would abandon that power running game when it was working best, to try and get cute and catch the opposition off guard (when the opposition was most expectin a cowheresque "change of pace".

(see jerome bettis dominating the broncos for a drive in 97 afcc game only for a kordell shot to the endzone, be called on 2nd and 2)
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 AM   #18
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,106 Posts

I think we will have a very good special teams in 07.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 AM   #19
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

My head says be VERY careful... We got a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way to go and many issues to deal with.

My heart says... we are SB bound!

Dang it.. I hate it when they argue like that!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:43 AM   #20
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

It's dissapointing to say the least that Cowher had such a lax attitude about STs. You would think that with the style of football that Cowher played he would have put much more emphasis on STs.

IMO you cannot discount the impact that these changes will have on the team in an overall sense.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote