Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Hampton relishes leadership role

BIG SNACK!

Steelers' Hampton relishes leadership role

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, June 4, 2007

Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton is talking more than ever. Funny, because the new season is still three months away.

Hampton is taking his role as one of the team's new leaders more seriously than a double-team block.

He promised to upgrade his 2006 performance, despite making the Pro Bowl for the third time in four years. He isn't too proud to admit that his numbers were good, but not nearly good enough as the Steelers finished 8-8 the year after winning Super Bowl XL.

Hampton realizes he can't ask more from his teammates, to implore them to take their play to a whole new level, without doing likewise.

In taking more ownership of the defense with the departure of fiery linebacker Joey Porter, he also accepts more responsibility.

"I have been a leader. I have been a vocal guy in the locker room. People didn't know it because Joey was our vocal leader. That was who you always saw out front talking," Hampton said. "Now that he's gone, I'll probably step up and talk more. I know the guys look at me as a leader."

Hampton picked apart his own game.

"I think I can play a lot better than I did last year," said Hampton, whose 33 tackles in 2006 tied his rookie numbers and was his second-lowest total in six NFL seasons. Hampton recorded 17 tackles in 2004 when he played in only six games because of a knee injury.

"I think I played good," Hampton said, "but I feel like I can play a lot better."

Hampton is a powerful two-gap nose tackle who engages two blockers on every play so his linebackers can roam freely and make the bulk of the tackles on running plays.

On pass plays, Hampton is asked to shove the center back toward the quarterback so that the quarterback can't step up in the pocket and evade the outside rush of the defensive ends.

Hampton is learning to counter how teams are preparing for him.

"Teams block me a lot different now," Hampton said. "Linemen don't really try to block me straight up, they just try to get in my way. It takes away from me making big plays.

"A lot of teams in the league play the 3-4, but nobody's nose tackle plays the way I play. A lot of teams let their (nose tackle) run behind blocks and get up the field and make plays. My job is way different than anybody else's."

Add increased leadership to Hampton's expanding resume. He plans to lead by words and example.

Hampton said his teammates are somewhat uneasy under new coach Mike Tomlin, which has made for spirited workouts at the Steelers' South Side facility.

Tomlin arrived agenda-free. He'll play who he wants, sit who he wants.

With few exceptions, no job is safe.

Because Tomlin doesn't play favorites, the players -- from big names such as Hampton to role players such as backup nose tackle Chris Hoke -- don't really know what to expect.

"You don't know what they're thinking about you, how they feel about your play," Hoke said. "Coach Tomlin says it doesn't matter what you've done in the past. You've got to prove you can play."

Prove it or lose it.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_510833.html
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,302 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Hampton relishes leadership role

I like hampton he is a very good player.I think his leadership role will play a key for the steelers.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Hope he'll be a great leader. He on defense, Ben on offense. Things are really looking good.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

All hail "Big Snack."
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
All hail "Big Snack."
"HAIL BIG SNACK, WE WHO ARE ABOUT TO DIE SALUTE YOU!"

Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

lol. its cool hes not shy about saying what a unique and good player he is. he definitely has the 'tude of a leader. does this mean we get to see him roll up his shirt half way and bark at the opponents from the 50 yd line in pre game warm ups? that would be cool.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lol. its cool hes not shy about saying what a unique and good player he is. he definitely has the 'tude of a leader.
I like the fact that he admitted last season wasn't his greatest year (even though he made the pro-bowl) and he feels he can play a better game instead of making excuses or passing the blame onto others. Signs of a true leader in my book.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

I think it is interesting that the Steelers have a reputation for there amzing line of Pro Bowl Centers, that have contributed to our dominate runnung games over the years. If you think about it we have had a pretty amazing run of Nt's as well (at least when we have been Super Bowl bound) that have been a major force in our consistent ability to stop the run. Starting with Mean Joe (technically maybe not a NT, but similar purpose). We made our Super Bowl in 96 with Joel Steed anchoring the middle. And finally the big game in 06 with Casey as a dominate force. It all seems to start in the middle regardless of which side of the ball we are talking about.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I like the fact that he admitted last season wasn't his greatest year (even though he made the pro-bowl) and he feels he can play a better game instead of making excuses or passing the blame onto others. Signs of a true leader in my book.
definitely. and if he relishes the leadership role as well as he obviously relishes hot dogs were in great shape!

Hail Big Snack!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

That's a great pic.

Wasn't it Hines Ward who gave Casey the "Big Snack" nic.? Proof that Ward is not only witty, but brave as well.