Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Pirates Select Pitcher in First Round

Just one of many reasons why they suck year after year. They don't want to spend the money. So much for Matt Wieters. Baltimore took him directly after we picked up another pitcher. Committed to winning my a$$. Let the excuses begin to flow...

Pirates select pitcher in first round of MLB draft
Thursday, June 07, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates selected left-handed pitcher Daniel Moskos from Clemson University with the fourth pick in the first round of the 2007 Major League Baseball draft this afternoon in Orlando.

According to MLB.com, Moskos is one of the, if not the top, college reliever in the draft class, helped by the fact he throws from the left side. While some think he can start because of three potential pitches, the bullpen is a more likely permanent home for the hard-throwing southpaw.

The 6-foot-1, 200-pound, 21-year-old California native has been clocked to have a 96 mph. fastball.

Check back shortly for more details.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07158/792315-63.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-07-2007 at 03:13 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Pirates Select Pitcher in First Round

I shook my head when I saw they selected another pitcher....Plus a relieve pitcher at that....lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I shook my head when I saw they selected another pitcher....Plus a relieve pitcher at that....lol
Same old, same old. Further proof that this ownership group doesn't give a damn about winning. Then again why would they when they have sheep giving them money during every home game? The same sheep who will be calling in the local sport shows tonight complaining and acting surprised with this decision.

Wonder what Junker will have to say about this: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_510855.html
Old 06-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Same old, same old. Further proof that this ownership group doesn't give a damn about winning. Then again why would they when they have sheep giving them money during every home game? The same sheep who will be calling in the local sport shows tonight complaining and acting surprised with this decision.

Wonder what Junker will have to say about this: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_510855.html

You're totally right 83....The sheep need to stop attending those games...I try to tell my Dad to stop going to the Pirate games...But he is such a diehard and he loves his Buccos...He actually like baseball more then football....So he will always support the Pirates....I'm still a Pirate fan and always will be but this is getting old how the Nuttens just don't give a damn about fielding a winning team....So I won't attended any Pirate games in the near future when iI'm in the Pittsburgh area.....Its time for the fans to say enough is enough....A pitcher yet again.... I can't wait to talk to my Dad about this one....lol

At least I still can read about the 60 Bucs or the 71/79 Pirates teams....Or I still have memories of the 90-92 Pirates teams...No world series titles in the 90s but at least they were division winners...I don't know what I would do if the Pirates actually won their division in the near future....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Nevermind Millen and the Lions, this is the worst sports franchise in all of sport. They have a chance at getting "that big bat" and yet they pass on the guy because they don't want to cough up the cash. How in the hell are you ever going to win?

I've never seen anything that was funny, sad and pathetic all at the same time. This 'organization' takes the cake by far and yet a good number of fans take it in stride. If Pirates fans put as much heat on ownership as Steeler fans do on the Rooney's maybe some changes would occur.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

They didn't just take A pitcher, but they've now taken TWO pitchers in the first 2 rounds.

It isn't even funny anymore how absolutely pathetic this organization is.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
They didn't just take A pitcher, but they've now taken TWO pitchers in the first 2 rounds.

It isn't even funny anymore how absolutely pathetic this organization is.
Or the level they have went to.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Pirates must be kidding

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 8, 2007

Bob Nutting, who says he's "absolutely" committed to winning, struck out looking.

The Pirates' principal owner watched a belt-high fastball -- otherwise known as Matt Wieters -- cut the middle of the plate.

His bat never moved.

With that, the Pirates should have lowered the Jolly Roger, raised the white flag and changed their silly slogan to, "We Won't."

When it was their turn to pick in the draft Thursday, the Pirates bypassed the best player on the board because they're too cheap. It's that simple.

Say this much, though: They issued a whale of a news release upon selecting Clemson pitcher Daniel Moskos.

Keep in mind, he was the fourth pick overall, the second pitcher taken.

The second paragraph of the release ended like this: "(Moskos) was ranked by Baseball America as the fifth-best pitcher available in the draft."

The fifth-best?

And you thought nothing could top the time the Pirates drafted Bryan Bullington first overall and general manager Dave Littlefield said, "We feel comfortable projecting him as a No. 3 starter."

Moskos might turn out fine. He was Baseball America's eighth-ranked prospect.

But he was neither the highest-rated pitcher nor the highest-rated left-hander still available.

More to the point, Wieters, a switch-hitting catcher out of Georgia Tech, was by far the highest-rated position player available. Baseball America labeled him the best position player in the draft and quoted a scout as saying only Twins star Joe Mauer was better among the amateur catchers he had seen.

Keith Law, director of scouting for ESPN's Scouts Inc., and an analyst on ESPN2's draft coverage, calls Wieters a "once-in-a-decade kind of talent."

Kevin Goldstein of Baseballprospectus.com wrote Wednesday in his draft preview, which appeared on SI.com, "The Pirates would like to take Wieters, but a request submitted to ownership to spend big money was quickly denied."

Littlefield flatly denied the report yesterday.

The only hitters of Wieters' pedigree were high school third baseman Josh Vitters, who went third to the Chicago Cubs, and high school infielder Mike Moustakas, who went second to Kansas City.

That left Wieters as the obvious choice, but, alas, he's a Scott Boras client.

Boras is known for demanding huge signing bonuses and immediate major-league contracts.

Of course, that didn't scare the Royals from taking a Boras client (Moustakas) for the second consecutive year.

It didn't scare Milwaukee from taking a Boras client (Matt LaPorta, seventh overall), either.

And after Nutting whiffed, the Baltimore Orioles took Wieters at No. 5. The Orioles had a history of avoiding Boras.

The Detroit Tigers, who once shared baseball's low-rent district with the Pirates, snagged a consensus top-five talent and Boras client, pitcher Rick Porcello, at No. 27.

You can't get something for Nutting. What was it actor Michael Keaton famously said about his hometown Pirates?

"At some point, you have to write the check."

This was the perfect chance.

If you're grading the draft, give Kansas City, Baltimore and Detroit an A.

Give Bob Nutting a backward K.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_511615.html
Old 06-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
What was it actor Michael Keaton famously said about his hometown Pirates?

"At some point, you have to write the check."
LOL, I remember that. I also remember Keaton taking heat from the media and Pirate fans for making those comments.

"Who is he to come here and say that and then throw out the first pitch?"

"Mr. Hollywood comes back home, criticizes ownership and then hops back on his plane."

Only in Pittsburgh would that guy get bashed for making those comments. Hell, any other city would have applauded and welcomed the guy's comments. I guess the thought of firework and bobblehead nights are just too damn enticing....pffhh.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #10
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I went to a game last week. Last Friday. I had never been to PNC and the opprotunity came up so I couldn't pass it up.

It was college night. I got a free t-shirt, free hat, 10 voucher for food, for a 20 dollar ticket. AND if they would have won (they didn't) I would have gotten 10 bucks at Dick's.

Safe to say I made money last Friday...

The money being spent is totally misdirected. I won't NOT support them, though.

People not coming anymore = No more Buccos...

That is a BAD thing. I don't understand how boycotting the team is productive.