Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208
Default Re: Americas Game- '76 Raiders

"Those were the days! Those days are why I come to your site. I loved the rivalry and the bone crushing games the Raiders and Steelers played back then."

I've seen a couple interviews with players from both teams and they both feel like it was them and everyone else. While different players have different feelings about their opponent, they universally agree that in the 70's, the Steelers and Raiders were several clicks above almost everyone else.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Upshaw is a son-of-a-bitch for trying to make sure the old-timers are srewed over,especially since he's one of them.Those guys paved the way for the guys making the millions of dollars.

But what does Upshaw care?He knows he'll be taken care of for the rest of his life because he was lucky enough to land a high-profile gig in the NFL after his playing days...something most former-players don't do.

To me,he represents everything the Raiders were in the 70's: underhanded,dirty,and cheaters to a certain degree.

But the 70's Raiders were one helluva ball club that I hate with a passion but respect tremendously (btw,I am a huge Tatum fan cuz the Assasin went to Ohio State).However,when it comes to Upshaw as the head of the NFLPA,I just hate him with absolutley no respect for him.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:02 AM   #13
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Upshaw is a son-of-a-bitch for trying to make sure the old-timers are srewed over,especially since he's one of them.Those guys paved the way for the guys making the millions of dollars.

But what does Upshaw care?He knows he'll be taken care of for the rest of his life because he was lucky enough to land a high-profile gig in the NFL after his playing days...something most former-players don't do.

To me,he represents everything the Raiders were in the 70's: underhanded,dirty,and cheaters to a certain degree.

But the 70's Raiders were one helluva ball club that I hate with a passion but respect tremendously (btw,I am a huge Tatum fan cuz the Assasin went to Ohio State).However,when it comes to Upshaw as the head of the NFLPA,I just hate him with absolutley no respect for him.

I see you are only 21. You couldn't possibly have seen the Raiders, or the Steelers play in the 70's... let alone have a credible opinion of what went on during that time in the NFL. The only thing you have to go on is what you have heard and seen from the media and other fans that hate the Raiders. that doesn't constitute an educated opinion of a time you weren't around to experience.

Since I am quite a bit older, and a 40 year fan of the Raiders, I will give you a little insight on the Raiders of the 70's.

Most people don't know this. Al Davis, being a Brooklyn native, was a Yankees fan, and a very big admirer of George Steinbrenner. When he took over the Raiders, (became managing general partner) he decided that the Raiders would be run and patterned after the way Steinbrenner built and ran the Yankees, because he felt it was a winning formula... and it was/is.

Yes, the Raiders were comprised of guys that had problems with other teams and generally didn't fit in other places... round pegs in square holes. Al Davis gave these guys a place to be themselves, and John Madden let them do what they wanted, as long as it was leagal, and they came to play on Sunday.

The persona of the Raiders being crimminals is far from the truth. They were a collection of over the top personalities that generally liked to have a good time without being being told they weren't allowed. Al Davis knew that if he gave guys like that their space, and let them be themselves, they could, and would, perform on the football field... and perform they did!

They were rough, tough, physical, in your face guys that made no bones about what they were going to do when they took the field. They used intimidation as a weapon. That meant taking the rules to the ragged edge, and sometimes just beyond. It meant flagrantly breaking the rules on purpose, with a cheap shot, to instill fear, and dare a WR to go over the middle again. The Raiders' modus operadi was... "this is what we are going to do, stop us, if you can"

I don't think the Steelers of that time were much different. A little more polished, and less rough around the edges, perhaps, but the same rough, physical type of players the Raiders were.

Unfortunately those times are gone, never to return. The NFL has turned into a bunch of selfish, me first, all about the money, primadonas. The 70's was the golden age of the NFL. There are a few Steelers fans here who would agree with me on that. The players of today would be considered whiny little sissies by the player of the 70's. They couldn't last 10 minutes on the field with any of those guys.

Not only was I around to watch your Steelers during that time, I do my own research about other teams and their players, coaches and owners, before making broad, sweeping generalizations that are nothing more than here-say, perpetuated by the media and other fans.

It's ok to dislike the Raiders... just be informed about what you think you dislike before making statements you can't back up.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,154 Times in 3,214 Posts

Silver and Black - I too lived through that era (attended the Immaculate Reception and frigid AFC championship game in January 76 at TRS) and agree that the Steelers and the Raiders were cut from the same cloth.

However, I believe that over time the reason the Steelers were regarded as "physical" and the Raiders developed more of a thug image was Tatum's hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley in an exhibition game in 1978. It was not a penalty, but that injury still cast the entire Raiders team in a different light.

In addition, one player from that era I do think was a thug was George Atkinson. I know there are shots of Mel Blount tackling Cliff Branch by putting his helmet into the ground and other hard hits by both teams that were borderline.

However, nothing else approaches Atkinson coming from behind and punching Lynn Swann in the back of the head below the helmet in the September opener for the 1976 season in Oakland rather than attempt to tackle Franco Harris, who was running through the secondary with the ball at the time. That was nothing other than an attempt to injure a player whom Atkinson knew had been knocked out of the January 1976 AFC championship game due to a severe concussion.

Although the Steelers pulled away in the second half of the decade, the Dolphins, Raiders, and Steelers were neck and neck for best team of the decade through the mid-70s.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #15
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Silver and Black - I too lived through that era (attended the Immaculate Reception and frigid AFC championship game in January 76 at TRS) and agree that the Steelers and the Raiders were cut from the same cloth.

However, I believe that over time the reason the Steelers were regarded as "physical" and the Raiders developed more of a thug image was Tatum's hit that paralyzed Darryl Stingley in an exhibition game in 1978. It was not a penalty, but that injury still cast the entire Raiders team in a different light.

In addition, one player from that era I do think was a thug was George Atkinson. I know there are shots of Mel Blount tackling Cliff Branch by putting his helmet into the ground and other hard hits by both teams that were borderline.

However, nothing else approaches Atkinson coming from behind and punching Lynn Swann in the back of the head below the helmet in the September opener for the 1976 season in Oakland rather than attempt to tackle Franco Harris, who was running through the secondary with the ball at the time. That was nothing other than an attempt to injure a player whom Atkinson knew had been knocked out of the January 1976 AFC championship game due to a severe concussion.

Although the Steelers pulled away in the second half of the decade, the Dolphins, Raiders, and Steelers were neck and neck for best team of the decade through the mid-70s.
I never said that some very cheap shots weren't deliverd. The Atkinson shot on Swann was definately an uncalled for, cheap shot. It was a forearm shot, not a punch I remember the Mel Blount tackle of Cliff Branch... also not cool.

Tatum's hit on Stingley was NOT a cheap shot. It was a clean, leagal hit. I have watched it a hundred times, and I can't be convinced otherwise. The outcome was definately unfortunate. That one play ruined two guys' lives... one more so than than the other, but two none the less. If Tatum wasn't the ferocious hitter he was, and he didn't play for the Raiders, the whole thing would be looked at differently today.

I think the games between the Raiders and the Steelers just brought out another level of intensity and emotion from both teams.... I sure miss those games!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,154 Times in 3,214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

I think the games between the Raiders and the Steelers just brought out another level of intensity and emotion from both teams.... I sure miss those games!

For me the NFL prior to the late 70s rules changes was when the game was at its absolute peak

Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote