Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Movies during the off season

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I found that you actually have to watch the entire movie. If you miss 5 minutes of it, you'll have to go back. I tried watching it a few days after getting it for my b-day but my daughter woke up and by the time I got back, there were too many questions. Didn't feel like going back on it.

It flops back and forth a lot which drove me crazy but I thought overall it was a good movie. I liked the scene at the end when the old man apologized for not being a good father (like he thought he could have done better) and the son said you were a great dad (or something like that).

It was good to hear the story, I'm thinking about getting the Letters from Iwo Jima but movie purchases are on hold right now.
I found that it wasn't as bad as "Letters from Iwo Jima", but I would have preferred if Mr. Eastwood focused more on the battle itself. With "Letters from Iwo Jima", I felt Clint showed the 'Japanese" in a cute and cuddly light. He did not bother showing mothers grasping their kids while jumping off cliffs or the 'Japenese' soldiers executing our boys on site (instead he showed American soldiers executing two Japanese soldiers). After making that film, I hope Mr. Hollywood Clint will make a movie pertaining to the Bataan Death March. Let's show the true colors of the Japanese. I doubt it though, Clint seems to be jumping on the typical Hollywood loon wagon. God forbid we offend a certain group.

To be honest, after watching both films, I'm completely turned off by Clint Eastwood. This is coming from a HUGE Eastwood Westen movie buff. "High Plains Drifter", 'The Outlaw Josie Whales" and "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly" being my all time favorite Western films.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I found that it wasn't as bad as "Letters from Iwo Jima", but I would have preferred if Mr. Eastwood focused more on the battle itself. With "Letters from Iwo Jima", I felt Clint showed the 'Japanese" in a cute and cuddly light. He did not bother showing mothers grasping their kids while jumping off cliffs or the 'Japenese' soldiers executing our boys on site (instead he showed American soldiers executing two Japanese soldiers). After making that film, I would hope Mr. Hollywood Clint will make a movie about the Bataan Death March. Let's show the true colors of the Japanese. I doubt it though, Clint seems to be jumping on the typical Hollywood loon wagon.

After watching both films, I have been turned off by Clint Eastwood. This is coming from a HUGE Eastwood Westen movie buff.
Thanks, it sounds like you saved me from wasting a few dollars on the purchase of it. Maybe now I'll just rent it or wait for it to come out on HBO or something.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:29 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Thanks, it sounds like you saved me from wasting a few dollars on the purchase of it. Maybe now I'll just rent it or wait for it to come out on HBO or something.
It was just my opinion of the movie. I felt Clint showed the Japanese in a positive light. I'd like to hear the opinions from the veterans who fought on Iwo Jima and marched on the Bataan Death March.

I'll take "Band of Brothers", "Downfall", "Schindler's List", "Conspiracy", "Grey Zone" and "Saving Private Ryan" for more recent and accurate WWII flicks.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #14
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
It was just my opinion of the movie. I felt Clint showed the Japanese in a positive light. I'd like to hear the opinions from the veterans who fought on Iwo Jima and marched on the Bataan Death March.

I'll take "Band of Brothers", "Downfall", "Schindler's List", "Conspiracy", "Grey Zone" and "Saving Private Ryan" for more recent and accurate WWII flicks.
Loved Band of Brothers so much I bought the DVD Box Set. There was another movie that I saw on HBO awhile back about the US and Phillipine forces combining to over take the Japanese before they killed the American POWs. They were killing them by pushing them into holes, poring gas on them, lighting them on fire, then shooting any of them that tried to run away...it was a great movie but can't remember the name of it.

But if anyone knows any other great WWII movies, post them. Lately I've really been into that type of film.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Loved Band of Brothers so much I bought the DVD Box Set. There was another movie that I saw on HBO awhile back about the US and Phillipine forces combining to over take the Japanese before they killed the American POWs. They were killing them by pushing them into holes, poring gas on them, lighting them on fire, then shooting any of them that tried to run away...it was a great movie but can't remember the name of it.
The movie you are referring to is "The Great Raid".

Other great WWII movies (there are many, but my personal favorites besides the ones already mentioned in this thread)........

"The Thin Red Line"

"The Longest Day"

"The Big Red One"

"The Dirty Dozen"

"The Great Escape"

"Patton"

"Battle of the Bulge"

"Torra! Torra! Torra!"

"The Desert Fox"
Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
It was just my opinion of the movie. I felt Clint showed the Japanese in a positive light. .
well that sucks. im a huge clint fan myself. i just watched million dollar baby" again about a month ago for its network debut. great movie, but then again, like "shawshank redemption" i may be a little biassed towards any movie morgan freeman nararrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I'll see your 'He Man' Artemis, and raise you a 'ThunderCats'. LOL (Ah yes,...those were different times,...simpler times)

Fantastic Four looks as if it will be better than the first one. Though i will admit that when it comes to the 'Super hero' genre,...i'm looking far ahead to the release of the 'Dark Knight' Batman Joint. And even further down the line to the 'Flash' movie that they're supposedly working on with Ryan Reynolds ?

Never really got into the Potter though. I can't sit through that much British accent,...unless it's a Guy Ritchie film. (Snatch or Lock Stock) LOL
i take it youre more of a DC fan than marvel? "snatch" is one of my favorites (only challenged by the recent "kill bill' series) and i find the "pikey?" spoken much more easilly understandable than what brits consider "english".

i was a fan to the transformers toys, comics, movie, and tv show as a kid. its a movie i will own. some of it was filmed in my neck of the woods (holloman afb). i was gonna try out to be an extra for the filming but they were looking for someone more of asian descent, and im just a white guy. but when you see a bunch of desert and treeless mountains, thats my back yard.

maidenarcher- i cant wait to see "knocked up". "40 year old virgin" is one of my favorite recent comedies. the sequel to "bruce almighty" is another i wont miss.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:40 PM   #17
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the sequel to "bruce almighty" is another i wont miss.
I can't wait for that either..."EVAN ALMIGHTY"

It reminds me of the Bill Cosby skit, "Noah, I want you to build me an Arc."

Old 06-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:

It reminds me of the Bill Cosby skit, "Noah, I want you to build me an Arc."
lol.

im a huge morgan freeman fan, and other than george burns himself, i cant think of another better suited for the role.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Loved Band of Brothers so much I bought the DVD Box Set.
I also purchased it on DVD once it was released. Worth every penny. I believe I brought this up once before on this site, but Hanks/Spielberg are teaming up once again and are producing another WWII mini-series on HBO only this time it deals with the War in the Pacific titled "The Pacific". The bad news, production won't start until August and it will not be released until 2009.

For more info on the series: http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...=1238&cs=1&p=0

I also left out "Memphis Belle".
Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #20
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:

But if anyone knows any other great WWII movies, post them. Lately I've really been into that type of film.
Have you seen To End All Wars with Keifer Southerland? I'm not all that into war movies but I really liked this one.
TO END ALL WARS (2001)
A true story about four Allied POWs who endure harsh treatment at the hands of their Japanese captors during World War II while being forced to build a railroad through the Burmese jungle. Ultimately they find true freedom by forgiving their enemies.

We have caught up on Lost episodes and went to see Pirates...loved it.

We rented Deja Vu with Denzel Washingion......good thriller and The Guardian with Kevin Costner........I thought it was a Top Gun wannabe but hubby liked it.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote