Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Pittsburgh: A Modest, Quiet City?

Let's face it, this city has been a long far cry from the Steel Empire days, and the population has dwindled and is dwndling slowly as we speak.

But I was born here, still live here, and I still love this town. My Mom moved me to Orlando in 1997 and moved back to PIT in 2002. I'm going to college here, so I doubt I'll be moving again anytime soon. I'm so proud that Pittsburgh was voted the most livable city recently, but the question is...will more people move here? We'll see...
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Pittsburgh: A Modest, Quiet City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Let's face it, this city has been a long far cry from the Steel Empire days, and the population has dwindled and is dwndling slowly as we speak.

But I was born here, still live here, and I still love this town. My Mom moved me to Orlando in 1997 and moved back to PIT in 2002. I'm going to college here, so I doubt I'll be moving again anytime soon. I'm so proud that Pittsburgh was voted the most livable city recently, but the question is...will more people move here? We'll see...
Maybe when the redevelopment is finished, we'll get more people.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

As long as jobs are lacking this city will not grow.

Just a side note, when you have idiots on Mt. Washington complaining about concerts down on Station Square you can understand why some want to leave. This city is growing old with people who have nothing better to do than to complain about something or another. Small things such as that make it a city behind the times. That's just ONE example.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-09-2007 at 11:20 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I moved from MD to FL. Not that I regret that move because it landed me a beautiful wife, 3 lovely children, and 2 dogs. However, before I moved to FL, I was trying my damndist (sp) to get a job in Da 'Burgh. I tried the Pirates, Penguins, and yes the Steelers. I even started making attempts at non-sports related jobs and couldn't get squat (must have been that fresh out of college thing - not sure). Pittsburgh will draw the people in because it's a beautiful city, with a lot to offer but from what I can tell of that town, it's not just going to be some guy that wants to move in - he's going to have to prove that he's worthy of living there.

I guess that's the difference between Pittsburgh and any other place I've lived. The people that live there, love it there. And I guess that's why I enjoy making plans to come back during the best season of all - football season!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
As long as jobs are lacking this city will not grow.
That's every town.

my hometown of Hollidaysburg has been bring a lot business back into empty spaces of town towns and it looks like we may bust 6,000 for total population soon.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
That's every town.

my hometown of Hollidaysburg has been bring a lot business back into empty spaces of town towns and it looks like we may bust 6,000 for total population soon.
When your a major city, it hurts. It's no secret that lack of jobs is hurting this city. There's a reason why kids come here to go to college and then leave ASAP.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 06-09-2007 at 10:41 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514

It's all in the type of job. The population loss is grinding to a halt -- yes it's still going, but it's ever so slow, and expected to soon be actually growing again. I've only been to the Burgh a handful of times (if you call 15 or 20 a handful) but from everything I've read, they're starting to have worker shortages -- but they're not the type of blue collar labor jobs that have historically represented the Burgh. Financial, corporate, white collar -- those kind of jobs abound. The work shortages are expected to continue to grow unless the city starts importing some people qualified for the jobs.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Want job security in Pittsburgh? Become a lawyer - there are over 6,500 of those vampire bats in Allegheny County alone.

Pittsburgh is a great place to raise a family and the majority of the 40+ crowd who live here have lived here since birth. I think every major city is having problems with work shortages, but people find a way to make ends meet. At least we don't have a depression to deal with like my parents did - at least not yet.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah_Q View Post
It's all in the type of job. The population loss is grinding to a halt -- yes it's still going, but it's ever so slow, and expected to soon be actually growing again. I've only been to the Burgh a handful of times (if you call 15 or 20 a handful) but from everything I've read, they're starting to have worker shortages -- but they're not the type of blue collar labor jobs that have historically represented the Burgh. Financial, corporate, white collar -- those kind of jobs abound. The work shortages are expected to continue to grow unless the city starts importing some people qualified for the jobs.
Bingo. Like I said, it's a great laid back city for the most part. In a way that's great, in other ways it hurts this city. Eitherway, your seeing kids graduate, leave this city, get jobs elsewhere and then move back here once they are in their older years, that's even if they bother moving back here at all.

This city still has some work to do, moving out of the 70's and 80's would be a good start. Some in this city just don't want to let go.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Want job security in Pittsburgh? Become a lawyer - there are over 6,500 of those vampire bats in Allegheny County alone.

Pittsburgh is a great place to raise a family and the majority of the 40+ crowd who live here have lived here since birth. I think every major city is having problems with work shortages, but people find a way to make ends meet. At least we don't have a depression to deal with like my parents did - at least not yet.
Well, I can't say I'm surprised there are that many lawyers in the county, given that you can't spit and not hit one of their offices lol...

Pittsburgh and the region in general is a great place to live, but I really wish they would do more to market itself to the rest of the country and show them that it is a truly great place to live, work and raise a family. Many people I've encountered over the years still the city as a smoky, dirty steel town, and their opinion often changes when they see it for themselves and all that we have to offer. We didn't become the most livable city by accident, after all. I think if the city/county officials put some money and effort into promoting Pittsburgh and break the stereotypes, they would be able to attract more young people to move here and start to curb the worker shortage that Mistah_Q mentioned.