Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Supplemental draft

What is the Supplemental Draft and how does it work?
The Supplemental draft is for college players that have either lost their eligibility after the regular NFL draft deadline or have decided to forego their final year(s) of eligibility to pursue a NFL career. Here are some of the rules and specifics:
- NFL teams can opt not to use their pick if they so desire.
- The order is done much like the NBA draft, with a lottery determining the outcome.
- The draft is now conducted via email, where it was formerly held by conference call. There are seven rounds, just like the regular draft.
- When a team's pick comes up, they can opt to use that pick or not too. By using a pick in the supplemental draft, that team will forfeit their pick in the corresponding round in the following years regular college draft.

Now...here is the question....one of the "lockdown" corners from last year, Paul Oliver, has declared for the supplemental draft....Does anyone think that we pursue him? Some have said that he would have been drafted in the first round had he declared for the regular draft in time.

Quote:
The 6-foot, 208-pound Oliver, had three interceptions, 57 tackles and two sacks for the Bulldogs in 2006.
The 23-year-old from Kennesaw, Georgia started 15 games for the Bulldogs over his three-year career, intercepting seven passes and recording 94 tackles. He may have had his best game during the 2006 campaign, when he limited Georgia Tech All-American wide receiver Calvin Johnson to two catches and 13 yards in a season-ending 15-12 home win on November 25.
Also...can anyone find a list of those players that have declared for the supplemental draft?

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 06-10-2007 at 05:38 PM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: Supplemental draft

Paul Oliver - Considered a top talent, he was Rivals #1 prospect at CB from high school. His work against Calvin Johnson was noticed by many, holding him to just 2 catches for 13 yards in 2006. The Georgia cornerback was declared academically ineligible for the 2007 season and has decided this will be his best path to make it in the league.

Jared Gaither - The rumor is, according to New Era’s blog that the 6′9″ 330 OT has had trouble keeping his grades up as well.

Mark Washington - From the same post as the one about Gaither, Mark Washington from Texas State (6′2″ 250) would be projected as a linebacker

Chris Patrick - Cornhuskers ... originally intended to forgo his senior season and enter April's draft but wavered and didn't decide in time to enter his name. The 6-4/290-pound Patrick is an excellent pass protector but will likely need to kick to guard in the NFL. Patrick has signed with agent Joe Linta.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Thanks CS85....I have seen Oliver as a projected overall Top 10 pick in the 2008 draft before he declared for the supplemental...Looks to be legit. Someone with a need in the secondary will pick him up in July with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.....If he makes it to the 3rd round I would have NO problem with the Steelers nabbing him....and to be truthful I wouldn't be up in arms if they took him with a 2nd.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

The Patriots have an extra 3rd rounder next year - I wouldn't mind them taking a shot at this guys if he offers a little insurance against Samuel following through with his threat to sit out until week 10.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
The Patriots have an extra 3rd rounder next year - I wouldn't mind them taking a shot at this guys if he offers a little insurance against Samuel following through with his threat to sit out until week 10.
I have seen the Pats and the Giants mentioned with this kid alot!! Strangely I also saw the Bills mentioned...strange only because they have a very good secondary.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
CantStop85
Living Legend

I don't see Oliver slipping past the second round. I've heard rumors of teams (including the Patriots) who would be willing to pull the trigger on a first round pick.

Jared Gaither looks like an interesting pickup...6'9 330's pretty good.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I don't see Oliver slipping past the second round. I've heard rumors of teams (including the Patriots) who would be willing to pull the trigger on a first round pick.

Jared Gaither looks like an interesting pickup...6'9 330's pretty good.
Really?....We have a 6-8 337 pounder that we will trade you straight up for a right tackle that can bend at the knees and a bottle of TJ's Sooooooooul Gloooooooooow.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #8
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Really?....We have a 6-8 337 pounder that we will trade you straight up for a right tackle that can bend at the knees and a bottle of TJ's Sooooooooul Gloooooooooow.
haha yeah I know, the bigger they are the bigger they flop...still worth a look though.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I have seen the Pats and the Giants mentioned with this kid alot!! Strangely I also saw the Bills mentioned...strange only because they have a very good secondary.
Im guessing they are looking at a replacement for Clements.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

LITP do you see Pittsburgh taking anyone in the supplementary draf? I feel that they are happy with their current draft picks and the only thing I could see them adding is maybe a corner.