Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Tomlin warns team to be ready for tough camp

Tomlin warns team to be ready for tough camp

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 15, 2007

When the final organized team activity session ended Thursday, the Steelers were able to take it easy.

The respite will last until July 23 when training camp begins at St. Vincent College.

Coach Mike Tomlin warned that his team had better report to camp prepared to work.

"I told the group it's going to be extremely tough," Tomlin said yesterday before watching his players disperse. "I'm not apologizing for that. I'm going to put that challenge out there to them. I'm looking forward to training camp."

The players can look forward to an increased emphasis on two-a-day practices, "probably a little heavier than they're used to," Tomlin said.

"It'll give them something to whine about."

The OTAs and the two minicamps the team conducted this offseason were exercises in "multi-tasking," Tomlin said. The goals were to implement a foundation on offense, defense and special teams, emphasize "situational football" (third down, red zone, etc.) while creating "artificial adversity". The goal is to learn how players approach their jobs and glean insight as to "who they are."

The proceedings at St. Vincent will be about winning jobs.

The current depth chart features Chukky Okobi as the starting center, Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend starting at cornerback and Ryan Clark lining up as the starting free safety.

But the current depth chart, Tomlin emphasized, is "in pencil."

"People want to establish depth charts at this time of year, so be it," Tomlin said. "They change. There are known position battles that will be talked about, but there are also unknown position battles that are going to develop because we're going to go into this thing with no preconceived notions. No jobs are secure. This is not a security business. They gotta play and perform."

The known battles include Okobi and free-agent addition Sean Mahan vying to become Jeff Hartings' replacement at center, Kendall Simmons attempting to hold off Chris Kemoeatu at right guard, Clark and second-year pro Anthony Smith fighting it out at free safety, and the threesome of Taylor, Townsend and Bryant McFadden competing for two starting spots at corner.

There will be potentially less-publicized competition at other positions such as right tackle, where second-year pro Willie Colon is pushing incumbent Max Starks.

"Absolutely, but Willie's pushing a lot of people," Tomlin said. "Willie's been one of the guys we've moved around quite a bit because we want to put him in position to get to that top five and get in where he fits in, if he's capable. Willie's played some guard. Willie's played some tackle. Willie's even tried center.

"Willie's going to push a lot of people."

The regular-season opener is Sept. 9 in Cleveland. The depth chart, presumably, will be in ink by then.

Until then, Tomlin is prepared to let competition dictate all that must be resolved before he leads his first NFL team onto the field against the Browns.

"I kinda like uncertainty at this time of the year," he said. "These guys are in the business of responding to challenges and answering questions. That's kinda the underlying theme that's involved in football."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_512704.html
Old 06-15-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Tomlin warns team to be ready for tough camp

I like this,because Cowher's depth charts were always set in stone,unless an injury popped up.With Cowher,certain guys were gauranteed thier job and didn't have to fight for it.

Competition is good for the team,it makes everyone better.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Damn, this all sounds so exciting. Tomlin seems to know what he's doing and I completely trust him. I've never wanted for training camp to come faster, Tomlin is choosing the best of the best for the team.

"It'll give them something to whine about."
interesting...
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
"I kinda like uncertainty at this time of the year," he said. "These guys are in the business of responding to challenges and answering questions. That's kinda the underlying theme that's involved in football."
i almost wanted the rooneys to write a blank check to cowher because i got accustomed to the comfort and security of this time of year. its obvious cowher did too.

cowher never seemed to "like" or embrace, or thrive off of the uncertainty. we have alot more youngsters waiting in the wings than we have "cowher's (guys) veterans". it seems tomlin is better for the collective majority rather than the selected few.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,708 Times in 1,568 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It sounds like they better be in shape for camp.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Sounds like the preseason games are going to be worth watching for the competition - no more of the set up last Augsut where the starters played about 2 series a game
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

I cant wait for camp now. Coach T is going to make those boy cry for their mommy's by the time he is done with them ..lol..

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It sounds like it is definitely going to be a demanding training camp. Something the players haven't had in a few years. I think it will be good for the players as individual starters and for the team as a cohesive unit!

1 month, 1 week, and it all starts.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Nice article, although it'll probably be the last one like it for awhile. This span between now and camp is going to be booooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrringggg.

I do hope by the end of camp that mcfadden and smith > townsend and clark, but for this year atleast, I don't think it'll make much of a difference either way. youth/upside/athleticism or experience/technique/smarts ... pick your poison.

The only real important thing is getting Ben back on track. I don't really see any of these other position battles having too much impact regardless of who wins the job. However, Ben HASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to play at that elite level again. Time to take off the training wheels, so to speak, and let the guy sling it around a few times.

So far it seems like all is well on the western front. Sure wish timmons could see a bit of action but I def. don't want him to risk chance of further injury. Hopefully everyone will be healthy by the time camp starts.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw-n-maul-u View Post

The only real important thing is getting Ben back on track. I don't really see any of these other position battles having too much impact regardless of who wins the job. However, Ben HASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS to play at that elite level again. Time to take off the training wheels, so to speak, and let the guy sling it around a few times.
i agree with you on that one. its time to see if he really does have an arm like he displaced in the denver game in 06. by the way, i love your comment about taking off the training wheels off..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote