Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 37,294
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post

Hey, LLT, where did you take an IQ test at? I never really have, but have been curious as to what I'd score. The only kind of comparative test I've ever really taken was the ACT and I scored a 31 (high five for scholarship money).
youve probably taken one and just not realized it. its usually standard testing to gradeschool kids, but it varies state to state. youre from kentucky... remember when they gave you that copper tubing, a washbasin and some mash in the 3rd grade to see what you could do with it?

lol just messin. but really i think they look at the kids who do exceptionally well in the standard yearly testing, and then select them for further testing to put them in advanced placement/gifted/mensa type classes. then again i was schooled on military bases, which i believe is more standardized than typical schools in the community. (they taught us to read in kindergarten with some wierd experimental version of the alphabet, that contained upside down letter e's, and hybrid letters of 2 "sounds"merged together."

what is strange is i think a standard iq test is pretty much the same whether you are giving it to a 3rd grader or a 14 year old.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
CantStop85
Living Legend
 
CantStop85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lexington, Kentucky
Posts: 3,140
Gender: Male
Member Number: 486
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
youve probably taken one and just not realized it. its usually standard testing to gradeschool kids, but it varies state to state. youre from kentucky... remember when they gave you that copper tubing, a washbasin and some mash in the 3rd grade to see what you could do with it?
lol I think some of my classmates needed that exam. But, yeah I took standardized tests each year from 1st grade to senior year...of course they never really got much harder than a 6th-7th grade level to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lol just messin. but really i think they look at the kids who do exceptionally well in the standard yearly testing, and then select them for further testing to put them in advanced placement/gifted/mensa type classes.
I took around 6 AP classes in high school and they are the biggest rip-off ever. They're college-level courses, but if you pass them you don't automatically get college credit. You get to take the equivalent of a college final exam (probably harder) and have to basically ace it in order for your college to even consider the credit. The only advantage of them is you get a higher weighted GPA but no colleges look at weighted GPA, they only look at your unweighted GPA (which an AP class could potentially bring down even while increasing your weighted GPA). If I had to do it all over again, I would've enrolled in more actual college courses so I could receive credit based on the actual class and not just one test.

Anyway, now that I'm done with that rant...early in my middle school career, they put me in honors or advanced courses because of high grades in previous courses. In high school, however, honors and AP classes could be taken by anyone, assuming they had the necessary requisites. The only thing I ever got from scoring highly on standardized tests was membership in the Duke University Talent Identification Program, which made me take the ACT in 7th grade (which was a blast ).
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 37,294
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,154
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post

I took around 6 AP classes in high school and they are the biggest rip-off ever. They're college-level courses, but if you pass them you don't automatically get college credit. You get to take the equivalent of a college final exam (probably harder) and have to basically ace it in order for your college to even consider the credit. The only advantage of them is you get a higher weighted GPA but no colleges look at weighted GPA, they only look at your unweighted GPA (which an AP class could potentially bring down even while increasing your weighted GPA). If I had to do it all over again, I would've enrolled in more actual college courses so I could receive credit based on the actual class and not just one test.

Anyway, now that I'm done with that rant...early in my middle school career, they put me in honors or advanced courses because of high grades in previous courses. In high school, however, honors and AP classes could be taken by anyone, assuming they had the necessary requisites. The only thing I ever got from scoring highly on standardized tests was membership in the Duke University Talent Identification Program, which made me take the ACT in 7th grade (which was a blast ).
wow, major flashback. i had the exact same experience with all the AP courses. and like you said, its pretty much a rip off that i gained nothing from. i took 4 ap classes my senior year alone including chemistry and all it did was make my final year a bitch having to study all the time. my biggest regret is not taking classes such as biology, english, anatomy at the college and get high school credit for them. it coulda been the difference of getting a full paid scholorship over just tuition.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
HometownGal
Living Legend
 
HometownGal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Burgh
Posts: 21,479
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2413
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Anyway, I'm the youngest of 5 kids, but all my siblings are only half-siblings. And no offense to them, but there's no way any of them are smarter than me.
Yes they are if they aren't Bungles fans.
__________________


The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #15
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

My wife has a 153 IQ. Combined we break 200! Our 7 year old daughter is an interpreter. Renee' explains everything to Faith. Then Faith puts it in terms I can understand, usually through pictures Faith draws 4 me. That helps me alot 2!
__________________
If I could be like that,
what would I do,
What would I do..."

~ 3 Doors Down


Last edited by GBMelBlount; 06-24-2007 at 06:11 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #16
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Posts: 19,587
Gender: Male
Member Number: 541
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
My wife has a 153 IQ. Combined we break 200! Our 7 year old daughter is an interpreter. Renne' explains everything to Faith. Then Faith puts it in terms I can understand. Sometimes Faith draws pictures 4 me. That helps me alot 2!
by how much do you break 200?
__________________

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #17
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

asdfafafaffsfasfasf
__________________
If I could be like that,
what would I do,
What would I do..."

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter
 
GBMelBlount's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,203
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5140
Thanks: 1,138
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: Eldest do better on the IQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
by how much do you break 200?

3 points on many days!
__________________
If I could be like that,
what would I do,
What would I do..."

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts