Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #181
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Last season of the Sopranos!

Having HBO On Demand, I was finally able to watch this episode and to say the least, I'm disappointed in the ending. I mean I've heard about it but you don't really catch the true disgust with it until you watch it.

First of all, what the heck was up with Meadow not being able to park her car. That was just flat out ridiculous, did Chase not have enough to build with that he had to have her park the car 5 different times (or whatever the total times)?

Second, having all those people walking in and focusing on them...like whoooo, look at this guy or gal.

Finally, as previously stated, END THE DARN THING...bring conclusion to it. That ending was just as bad as the ending to The Matrix trilogy!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #182
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,139 Times in 2,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Having HBO On Demand, I was finally able to watch this episode and to say the least, I'm disappointed in the ending. I mean I've heard about it but you don't really catch the true disgust with it until you watch it.

First of all, what the heck was up with Meadow not being able to park her car. That was just flat out ridiculous, did Chase not have enough to build with that he had to have her park the car 5 different times (or whatever the total times)?

Second, having all those people walking in and focusing on them...like whoooo, look at this guy or gal.

Finally, as previously stated, END THE DARN THING...bring conclusion to it. That ending was just as bad as the ending to The Matrix trilogy!!
With all due respect - I do not share your view on this.

If you watched the last episode only after hearing about the ending, the cuts between the diner entrance/Meadow/ and Tony at the table probably had a much different impact than watching it without knowing the ending.

Meadow having trouble parallel parking may have seemed like nonsense if you were watching the episode only after hearing about the ending, but it was a tension building device if you were watching around 9:55 pm EDT last Sunday night; I was wondering if Meadow was going to get popped or walk in on a scene of carnage.

Same thing with everyone walking into the diner - shortly before 10 p.m. last Sunday watching all those characters walking in (notably the guys in the USA cap and the Members Only jacket guy who goes into the men's room) was tense - watching it only after knowing how it ended obviously does not have the same effect.

As for "end it already," IMHO Chase ended it - he has Bobby say in the first episode of this season 2 months ago when Tony and he were on the lake talking about getting whacked that it probably just "goes black" and then that same scene was repeated when Tony is on the bed with his assault rifle as the next to last episode ended. I give Chase credit for assuming his audience pays attention and does not need every plot point underlined in crayon. This article indicates I am not alone on this.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

Some people liked the ending and some did not - I can see why someone would not like it but it is not as if the opinion on this is uniformly trashing Chase.

In closing, anyone who can write lines like this deserves to be cut some slack:

Meadow: "The state can crush the individual."
Tony (incredulously): "New Jersey?"
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #183
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post

Let me be blunt: David Chase is a jerkoff . And he decided to go to France to "avoid the frenzy" of the finale? Oh, please. Yeah, I heard all the "it's what made the Sopranos from those who picked it up in season five and I heard that it's the cinematic expression"

Lets all take a deep breath and start at the start. I own every season on DVD so I feel I'm at least entitled, almost vested, in opinion. The Sopranos was most likely the most brilliant tv production in history. What made seasons 1, 2 and 3 brilliant? It's edge, brilliant writing and acting. However, somewhere along the line, Chase's ego got out of hand. His ego sponged up the accolades, and, rightly so. However, it also got in the way of the writing...he started to spoon feed us things that were not consistent with the earlier episodes. And also made his characters seemingly act "out of character". Plus, his ego had the misfortune of thinking his own brilliance could make anything he wrote interesting. Sorry David but, I could care less if AJ was troubled with the world.

This is so akin of the Seinfeld thing. When "Seinfeld" decided to go out on top despite the many protests from fans, Jerry showed something similar to Chase. Jerry likened the audience to children, and that children need to have certain things taken away despite their wants. Blow me Jerry....it's just a tv show, shaddup and entertain me. Same deal with Chase.

The finale just sucked. As did plenty of the more recent episodes. Chase lost his original vision, which was a simple straight forward look into the eyes of mobsters. He became confused by complicating it, fueled by the glory he accepted. He tried to take something 100% perfect and make it perfecter (HA!) . The ending which sure, has plenty of fans, was a complete cop out. To let us try and decide what happened? Puh - leeeez, I don't watch good tv shows for interactive rapport. I watch good tv shows so I can be entertained, period. As the final episodes basically limped to the finish line, I was startled at my own apathy that was building over the final couple years. It's like he painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa then asked all of us if she actually grew it herself or was just painted on. Of course it was painted on, idiot. But a better question is why you painted it on in the first place.

3 thumbs down. Stlrtruck trust me..........YOUR ONE OF MANY....LOL.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #184
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
The finale just sucked. As did plenty of the more recent episodes. Chase lost his original vision, which was a simple straight forward look into the eyes of mobsters. He became confused by complicating it, fueled by the glory he accepted. He tried to take something 100% perfect and make it perfecter (HA!) . The ending which sure, has plenty of fans, was a complete cop out. To let us try and decide what happened? Puh - leeeez, I don't watch good tv shows for interactive rapport. I watch good tv shows so I can be entertained, period. As the final episodes basically limped to the finish line, I was startled at my own apathy that was building over the final couple years. It's like he painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa then asked all of us if she actually grew it herself or was just painted on. Of course it was painted on, idiot. But a better question is why you painted it on in the first place.

3 thumbs down. Stlrtruck trust me..........YOUR ONE OF MANY....LOL.
I watched bits and pieces of it on Sunday but was unable to see the ending. Until watching it on HBO On Demand. I watched Soprano's from beginning to end. I mean my friend and I used to make sure we were home in time to watch it or that we recorded (way before I had a DVR) it.

Although I heard of the ending before seeing it, it doesn't mean that things were any less surprising (if you will). But to be that dramatic on so many different people in the last scene was just a flat out waste of time.

But I agree with you 83, entertain me - and Chase lost some of his crowd of the last 2 seasons and especially this season when he started showing things the regulars didn't want to see. But what does he care, HBO paid him, and he doesn't have to worry about it anymore!

However, I did see a site yesterday that offered a shirt that read, "Tony's dead - get over it!"

And with that - Here's to Chase and his ending

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #185
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,139 Times in 2,828 Posts

FYI is a link to an article in New York magazine on the entire Sopranos saga through the (grand for some, not so grand for others) finale. A long read but an interesting one for a hard core fan that remembers the many scenes that are discussed.

We can take pleasure in our favorite series and how much we?ve enjoyed it, how much we loved Tony, what a fabulous character, wasn?t he? And remember how cool that scene was, the one where Pop-Pop?s head got popped beneath an SUV?

http://nymag.com/news/features/33517/
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #186
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

I've had a while to think this over and........I think David Chase sucks!!!!!!!! I gave this guy props for the last eight years and he treats us with back to back horible seasons! Except for the second to last episode and maybe the first one of this final season it was at sometimes unwatchable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This schmuck took the best show ever made and turned it into a main stream debate with that final episode! I think 83 will agree that one of the best things about the show is that there were only a few of us that watched the show from season one to the final episode! And for this Schmuck to make millions feel like that invested time and emoitions into this show makes me sick. Unless you saw the episode where Jackie (not Jr) died from cancer THE FIRST TIME IT AIRED then you have no idea what a mess Chase did on this last episode!!!!!!

And as Tony Soprano would say "END OF STORY"!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #187
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Tony dies.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #188
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

Can't say I'm that disappointed since I didn't have very high expectations to begin with. Everything coming out of Hollywood sucks, the Sopranos finale was par for the course.

You guys complaining now will be the first ones to throw down your $ when the movie comes out next year.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:30 PM   #189
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
You guys complaining now will be the first ones to throw down your $ when the movie comes out next year.
If it means bringing closure and answering some unanswered questions you better believe it. Judging that it's one of the most successful mini-series in the history of TV I'm glad to know I won't be the only one.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #190
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,763 Times in 2,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
If it means bringing closure and answering some unanswered questions you better believe it. Judging that it's one of the most successful mini-series in the history of TV I'm glad to know I won't be the only one.
since i didnt follow the series i havent chimed in but i did enjoy the last episode only if tony died. i thought it was done well, if that was the intent.

but i think it was a great disservice to all the diehard fans if the intent was to make millions off the casual fans the buzz generated in the future. an ingenious way to capitalize and cash in? of course. selling out the die hards who gave the platform for this to even turn into a money machine? i think so.

to me it would be like offering michaelangelo 10X as much money to halt work on the sistine chapel to go apply whitewash on graphitti on the great wall of china.