Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Finally....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Sorry........very, very, very rarely work.
Don't worry about it bro. I just hope it works with the Pirates and they use force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
Actualy that is the big debate here now. Since the fired Perlozzo who I feel was a good manager a lot of people are saying that they dont have any players. Their farm system is in shambles and they are just an all around terrible franchise. The O's ownder, Peter Angelos, is comparable to the Pirates ownership. The Pirates and the O's are very similar teams...amazing ball parks...terrible teams. The players here just dont care...thats half the problem here and in Pittsburgh...no one is being held accountable for their poor play because ownership wont allow the manager to do their job and play the players they want.
That's for sure. The Orioles shining beacon though is in Bowie. Bowie has been a pretty darn good team. They do the things the Orioles don't.

Also, Angelos has been quoted saying he doesn't enjoy owning the team. It makes no sense to be in something that you don't enjoy.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Thank You Mr. Harris for this one......

Bucs fans to blame for losing ways

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

This is about the Pirates, that much-troubled Major League Baseball franchise, and their curious relationship with an incredibly loyal fan base.

According to general manager Dave Littlefield, the Pirates don't plan on making any trades as the July 31 deadline approaches. As if being 13 games under .500 isn't enough cause for panic.

At least pitcher Ian Snell -- one of the team's few bright spots in 2007 -- still cared enough to call out teammates following another Pirates meltdown. Beware when the players stop caring enough to complain.

Fourteen consecutive losing seasons -- and counting.

It's taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people for the Pirates to be this bad for this long, from ownership to management to the players and coaches -- right on down to the ticket-buying public.

Take a well-deserved bow, Pirates fan.

Blame principal owner Bob Nutting, if you must. Just make sure to spell his name correctly.

Truth be told, Pirates fan, boycott or no boycott, walkout or no walkout, none of this would be possible without your help.

That's right, you, sitting in Section 22 behind the home dugout, stuffing your face with hot dogs and wearing Pirates paraphernalia. You've earned this baseball beatdown, so enjoy.

And you, down the right-field line in Section 107 wearing a glove in hopes of catching a souvenir. Doesn't it make you feel warm inside to know your financial contributions have contributed to the Pirates becoming a national laughingstock?

Face it, Pirates fan. You're drawn to the Pirates, to baseball, to sports, like a moth to a flame, like Mike Tyson to a police blotter.

It's in your DNA, and you're all but powerless to resist.

Nutting is counting on your continued support -- your hard-earned money -- the way he needs air to breathe.

Nutting thrives on the blind faith of fans. All team owners do.

It enables them to push for the use of your tax dollars to build new stadiums replete with luxury suites that deposit millions of dollars into their bank accounts years in advance.

It encourages them to depreciate their players like pieces of broken-down furniture for tax purposes, then cry poverty when fans and media demand they spend more money.

Ownership couldn't care less about your pain, Pirates fan.

It isn't like the Pirates are so embarrassed by this year's fiasco that it shames them to cease and desist from toeing such a fine financial line.

It all boils down to how badly the Pirates want to win.

Not badly enough.

Ownership already has PNC Park -- a veritable cash cow that allows the worst team in baseball over the past decade to continue spinning straw into gold.

If Nutting won't lift a finger to improve the on-field product, why should you?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_514378.html
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

I just hope their is a thing such as an eminent domain power for the commissioner and he uses it on the Nuttings that way we can find new ownership.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I just hope their is a thing such as an eminent domain power for the commissioner and he uses it on the Nuttings that way we can find new ownership.
Hate to be negative, but IMO, the commissioner doesn't give a damn. All he cares about is keeping the Steinbrenner's of MLB happy and content. As long as the Pirates are making money that's all that matters. People keep attending, they keep making money. Nothing will be done.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

The issue I have with the article is that it basically suggests a losing proposition to the fans that support the team by withdrawing their support. Since Nutting doesn't care, doesn't it stand to reason that he'll sell the team to the highest bidder (who will probably move the team lock, stock and barrel) if the team starts losing money? Either way, the Pirates' fans get screwed.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
The issue I have with the article is that it basically suggests a losing proposition to the fans that support the team by withdrawing their support. Since Nutting doesn't care, doesn't it stand to reason that he'll sell the team to the highest bidder (who will probably move the team lock, stock and barrel) if the team starts losing money? Either way, the Pirates' fans get screwed.
IMO, any owner who buys this team and knows the first thing about baseball and business knows that Pirate fans will support a losing team for a certain length of time. If the 'new' owner looks at the record of 15 straight pathetic seasons I think they will understand why people are no longer spending their hard earned cash. That's not to mention that the new ownership group would already have one of the nicest ball parks in MLB already in place. That's huge in this day and age and it's one less worry for the buyer.

There is money to be made in this city if you prove to the fans that you want to win and start proving it for once. Personally, I can't name one other city which does not have a MLB team in place in this country where a baseball owner would make more money than in this city and in that ball park. It would be a horrible business decision in my opinion.

Fans can either keep pumping money into Nutting's/McClatchy's pockets and continue losing year after year or they can stop attending, force them to sell to an ownership who actually cares and realizes the amount of money that can be made in this city when it comes to Pirate baseball. But once again, as long as they are making money they don't care nor will they sell. Why would they?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
IMO, any owner who buys this team and knows the first thing about baseball knows that Pirate fans will support a losing team for a certain length of time. If the 'new' owner looks at the record of 15 straight pathetic seasons I think he will understand. That's not to mention that he will already have one of the nicest ball parks in MLB already in place. That's huge in this day and age.

There is money to be made in this city if you prove to the fans that you want to win and start proving it for once. Personally, I can't name one other city which does not have a MLB team in place in this country where a baseball owner would make more money than in this city and in that ball park. It would be a horrible business decision in my opinion.

Fans can either keep pumping money into Nutting's/McClatchy's pockets and continue losing year after year or they can stop attending, force them to sell to an ownership who actually cares and realizes the amount of money that can be made in this city when it comes to Pirate baseball.
Thanks 83, it's helpful to get input from folks who still live in the 'Burgh. As I haven't lived in the 'Burgh for years and am not the biggest baseball fan anyway, I'm not as familiar with the possible financial repercussions of a change in ownership on the Pirates - from what you say, it would be a mistake to move the team by any prospective future buyer(s). That's good to know.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #18
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Hate to be negative, but IMO, the commissioner doesn't give a damn. All he cares about is keeping the Steinbrenner's of MLB happy and content. As long as the Pirates are making money that's all that matters. People keep attending, they keep making money. Nothing will be done.
2009, he's going to be OUT OF HERE! Last I checked he's supposed to be retiring. Maybe then we can get a commissioner worried about ALL 30 teams not just 2.

Old 06-26-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Thanks 83, it's helpful to get input from folks who still live in the 'Burgh. As I haven't lived in the 'Burgh for years and am not the biggest baseball fan anyway, I'm not as familiar with the possible financial repercussions of a change in ownership on the Pirates - from what you say, it would be a mistake to move the team by any prospective future buyer(s). That's good to know.
That's just my opinion fansince'76. I just have a very hard time figuring out another city in this country where a potential buyer would make more money than in this city with the best ball park in MLB already in place. Any future buyer can see that people were still showing up over these past 14 years of pathetic baseball. The comfort of knowing attendance will go up if things are turned around to the slightest degree should be evident and obvious for any smart businessman.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #20
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
That's just my opinion fansince'76. I just have a very hard time figuring out another city in this country where a potential buyer would make more money than in this city with the best ball park in MLB already in place. Any future buyer can see that people were still showing up over these past 14 years of pathetic baseball. The comfort of knowing attendance will go up if things are turned around in the slightest should be evident and obvious for any smart businessman.
I also have a hard time figuring this out.

But also, I feel it's because Nutting is too stubborn to SELL the team. No new owner of this team would have trouble having SOLD OUT crowds once they get things going right.