Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #21
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Finally....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
But also, I feel it's because Nutting is too stubborn to SELL the team.
McClatchy stated on a number of occasions last season that they have no plans of selling this team and once again, why would they? They shoot a few rockets in the air and people sell out the ball park. They hand out a few bobbleheads and people line up from Federal Street to Grant Street. They have been making money over the years, ripping off the fans in this city and they were not taking hardly any heat from the fans or the media. That's now starting to change to a degree and for now. Attendance this year has dropped to 27th or 28th worst in the league and the media has been grilling them for the last two weeks straight.

Hopefully change is in the near future but I doubt it. As long as people keep attending and are drawn to fireworks and bobbleheads like Nicole Ricci is to a toilet bowl after easting a corn flake I don't see anything changing.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #22
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
McClatchy stated on a number of occasions last season that they have no plans of selling this team and once again, why would they? They shoot a few rockets in the air and people sell out the ball park. They hand out a few bobbleheads and people line up from Federal Street to Grant Street. They have been making money over the years, ripping off the fans in this city and they were not taking hardly any heat from the fans or the media. That's now starting to change to a degree and for now. Attendance this year has dropped to 27th or 28th worst in the league and the media has been grilling them for the last two weeks straight.

Hopefully change is in the near future but I doubt it. As long as people keep attending and are drawn to fireworks and bobbleheads like Nicole Ricci is to a toilet bowl after easting a corn flake I don't see anything changing.
I can NOT blame you for saying this. I have been those on the bandwagon pushing for Mark Cuban to buy the team. McClatchy doesn't want to sell, and unfortunately to our misery, it's probably going to be just that. He will not sell under any circumstances.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Thank You Mr. Harris for this one......

Bucs fans to blame for losing ways

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 26, 2007

This is about the Pirates, that much-troubled Major League Baseball franchise, and their curious relationship with an incredibly loyal fan base.

According to general manager Dave Littlefield, the Pirates don't plan on making any trades as the July 31 deadline approaches. As if being 13 games under .500 isn't enough cause for panic.

At least pitcher Ian Snell -- one of the team's few bright spots in 2007 -- still cared enough to call out teammates following another Pirates meltdown. Beware when the players stop caring enough to complain.

Fourteen consecutive losing seasons -- and counting.

It's taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people for the Pirates to be this bad for this long, from ownership to management to the players and coaches -- right on down to the ticket-buying public.

Take a well-deserved bow, Pirates fan.

Blame principal owner Bob Nutting, if you must. Just make sure to spell his name correctly.

Truth be told, Pirates fan, boycott or no boycott, walkout or no walkout, none of this would be possible without your help.

That's right, you, sitting in Section 22 behind the home dugout, stuffing your face with hot dogs and wearing Pirates paraphernalia. You've earned this baseball beatdown, so enjoy.

And you, down the right-field line in Section 107 wearing a glove in hopes of catching a souvenir. Doesn't it make you feel warm inside to know your financial contributions have contributed to the Pirates becoming a national laughingstock?

Face it, Pirates fan. You're drawn to the Pirates, to baseball, to sports, like a moth to a flame, like Mike Tyson to a police blotter.

It's in your DNA, and you're all but powerless to resist.

Nutting is counting on your continued support -- your hard-earned money -- the way he needs air to breathe.

Nutting thrives on the blind faith of fans. All team owners do.

It enables them to push for the use of your tax dollars to build new stadiums replete with luxury suites that deposit millions of dollars into their bank accounts years in advance.

It encourages them to depreciate their players like pieces of broken-down furniture for tax purposes, then cry poverty when fans and media demand they spend more money.

Ownership couldn't care less about your pain, Pirates fan.

It isn't like the Pirates are so embarrassed by this year's fiasco that it shames them to cease and desist from toeing such a fine financial line.

It all boils down to how badly the Pirates want to win.

Not badly enough.

Ownership already has PNC Park -- a veritable cash cow that allows the worst team in baseball over the past decade to continue spinning straw into gold.

If Nutting won't lift a finger to improve the on-field product, why should you?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_514378.html
While this this is sad, it's true and I'm not surprised. The ownership doesn't give a damn, why should the fans? Do what I do. Stop going to the freaking games. Or better yet, don't go to any Pirates game at all.

I recieved two Pirates tickets last year. When I couldn't sell them, I tore them up. I'm not wasting my money to see losing baseball on a hot summer day just to have "the experience". I'll watch something else.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
I can NOT blame you for saying this. I have been those on the bandwagon pushing for Mark Cuban to buy the team. McClatchy doesn't want to sell, and unfortunately to our misery, it's probably going to be just that. He will not sell under any circumstances.
I'm not the biggest fan of Cuban, but if he's truly willing to buy this team (which he stated on a number of occasions he would be willing to do) then I would have no problem with it at all. Although at times, I get the impression that Cuban just likes to hear himself talk and get some press.

IF he's serious on buying this team there's one potential buyer who will keep this team in this city.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #25
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

As long as they can make 15-20 million a year to play the role of the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters of MLB, nothing is going to change.

These guys are businessmen not baseball men. $15-20 million a year is pretty good money for any business in the Burgh. They've already proven they can make that kind of money whether the fans show up or not. Baseball has become a joke in this town. I refuse to watch anymore.

As long as the owners of these small market teams are content to make $ without winning, there will never be a salary cap in baseball.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #26
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
As long as they can make 15-20 million a year to play the role of the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters of MLB, nothing is going to change.

These guys are businessmen not baseball men. $15-20 million a year is pretty good money for any business in the Burgh. They've already proven they can make that kind of money whether the fans show up or not. Baseball has become a joke in this town. I refuse to watch anymore.

As long as the owners of these small market teams are content to make $ without winning, there will never be a salary cap in baseball.
And there absolutely needs to be a Salary Cap.

Also, Minor League Baseball teams are signed and placed on the Major League Team's Payroll. Which also I don't get why.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #27
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Ok. I have a HUGE problem with this thread.

Quote:
And there absolutely needs to be a Salary Cap.

Also, Minor League Baseball teams are signed and placed on the Major League Team's Payroll. Which also I don't get why.
Let me start here. There isn't. The words baseball and salary cap should only be involved in the sentence "Baseball has no salary cap." So baseball fans should EXPECT things like the Yankees. I love the Pirates. No matter what.

Now to ALLLLLLL Pro-boycott people out there.

Are you listening to how stupid what you are saying is.

First of all, the IMPOSSIBILITY of a boycott. You have all said yourselves how unlikely it is. Then you slam people FOR GOING TO GAMES. Shame on you. You are going to slam people for going to Pirate games? Can you not see the fireworks from outside the stadium? So saying that people are JUST going for the fireworks. Ok...

As you may notice. I am anti-boycott. I am so anti-boycott this is the last thing I will say about it. (After, of course, I respond to the inevitable blasting I will receive for this.)

Do I have blind faith? Because I go to Pirate games? NO! Break what you are saying into common sense? What are you talking about?

Let me get this straight? The Pirates are only worth a damn when they are winning?

Who we have is who we have. Would I like new ownership? Sure. It would be nice to see them perform a little better. But, THIS IS WHAT THE PIRATES ARE. What the hell happened to the love of the game.

Baseball is an experience. Did you ever hear that phrase "for the love of the game?" I was born into the Pirates and I will stay with the Pirates as long as they are in the city.

Best case scenario with a boycott? They move the team. Then we have no Pirates, because some people couldn't deal with the Pirates not being the Red Sox or the Yankees.

This is what they are. The Pirates are a low salary team that develops players then ships them off to better teams where they become super stars.

Maybe I'm crazy. But I'd rather see some kids take their knocks in the MLB and play THE GAME, than watch GROSSLY OVERPAYED DIVAS earn absurd salaries to perform at an average level.

Oh and I read John Harris' article during my lunch break today.
You may want to reword your title, jackass. So, me... And I am a TRUE fan... am to blame for your misery and greed. The Pirates aren't a white hot francise... I am to blame... I guess its only fun to write about teams who crush the competition. To avoid trouble... I will not type what I was about to...

The Steelers have spoiled this city with their success.

The Pirates probably aren't going to win a World Series any time soon... Boycott or not.

Don't like it?

Move to Boston.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:51 PM   #28
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I think thats great that you're still a Pirate fan. You're a better man than me if you can stomach watching. My problem doesn't lie with the Pirates, it lies with MLB. If it were an even playing field and the team still sucked then you can call out people for being fair weather fans.

I don't don't advocate boycotting just the Pirates, to me its a matter of not supporting MLB as a whole until they do whats right. It's my way of dealing with the way things are. Is it going to change anything? Probably not.

I grew up here in the 60's and 70's. I remember when the Pirates out drew the Steelers by a long shot. It's sad.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:54 PM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
First of all, the IMPOSSIBILITY of a boycott. You have all said yourselves how unlikely it is.
I said walking out during a game and protesting will probably not work. Although I do feel not attending all together will.

Quote:
Then you slam people FOR GOING TO GAMES. Shame on you.
I don't care if people want to waste their money on a piece of shit product. Just don't come home after that game and complain about how bad they suck and how you want new ownership. If your dumb enough to attend those games night after night and give your money to McClatchy and Nutting, you deserve a bad team. Shame on you for making an assumption instead of asking questions before you open your mouth.

Quote:
Can you not see the fireworks from outside the stadium? So saying that people are JUST going for the fireworks. Ok...
Besides the point. There's a reason why they sell out during every firework night. I doubt it's because of the fantastic display of MLB the Pirates have put on for the last 15 years. Give me a break.

Quote:
(After, of course, I respond to the inevitable blasting I will receive for this.)
Well, when you tell people "shame on you" after making your assumptions you damn well better believe it.

Quote:
The Pirates are only worth a damn when they are winning?
Not at all. If I only kept my season tickets and supported teams when they were good I would have dropped my Penguin season tickets four years ago and my Steeler season tickets back in the early 80's. It's the fact that this Pirate team has been bad for so long and the future is not looking much better. The ownership group has proven time and time again that they don't give a flying shit about me so why should I care about them? It's been 15 years man and it's not looking up. What do you expect people to do?

Quote:
What the hell happened to the love of the game.
I still do love the game. I just don't love the game enough to take it up the *** from ownership every night and give them my hard earned cash. Sorry.

Quote:
Best case scenario with a boycott? They move the team. Then we have no Pirates, because some people couldn't deal with the Pirates not being the Red Sox or the Yankees.
Personally, I don't expect to be the Yankees or Red Sox. But I do expect a better product than I have seen over the past 15 years. This is the most pathetic sports franchise in all of sports. Sorry for expecting more out of my team.

Quote:
The Steelers have spoiled this city with their success.
The Steelers have nothing to do with this nor do the Penguins. The Pirates put themselves in this hole and deserve all the heat they are taking.

Quote:
Move to Boston.
My tax dollars helped pay for that ball park. Ownership promised a better product. If anybody should be moving it should be Nutting and McClatchy. But why would they? They have suckers walking inside PNC park night after night like zombies buying into the B.S. they spew year after year after year.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:13 PM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

I'm not exactly sure what some people expect other's to do. You think a guy with a family of three or four wants to give his money to an ownership group who has proven time and time again that they don't give a damn about their fans? That's not a cheap night out on the town.

We are talking about the Pirates here. The biggest joke in all of sport. I'm not expecting them to win a World Series anytime in the near future. I'm not expecting them to make a playoff push. But I am expecting them to crack .500 for the first time in 15 years. I know, I know, that's so much to ask for from somebody who's tax dollars helped pay for that ball park with the promise that they will put out a better product. I know, how greedy of me. I'm just spoiled, that's all. I don't know what in the hell I'm thinking. I should just put on my Nutting and McClatchy sunglasses and buy their B.S. propoganda.

Bottomline: When you have a team that has been this bad for this long and there is no end in site, you damn well better believe people will stop attending. Fireworks, bobbleheads, the view, "the love of the game" and the beauty of the park can only sucker most people in for so long before they finally say "ENOUGH". Keep watching that attendance drop. That's all it's doing. Apparently I'm not the only who's finally fed up.