Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Which stance for agent of Steelers' Polamalu?

Which stance for agent of Steelers' Polamalu?
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 28, 2007

Two-part question: How much do we really know about veteran agent Marvin Demoff, who represents Steelers safety Troy Polamalu? Considering his track record, how much do we want to know?

Enough to know that anything is possible with Demoff -- from a speedy contract resolution between Polamalu and the Steelers, to a prolonged contract stalemate, and all the possibilites in between.

In other words, expect the unexpected.

Demoff is an old-school negotiator based in Los Angeles who has a history with the Steelers, although not necessarily a great one.

He's old enough to have represented former Steelers cornerback Rod Woodson, who was the team's first-round draft pick in 1987.
Woodson held out, missed his first NFL training camp and didn't sign until October.

On the other hand, Polamalu, the Steelers' first-round pick in 2003, didn't hold out, signed in July and participated in his first NFL training camp.

Demoff can be accommodating or unyielding. It all depends on whom he represents and the needs of that particular client.

Polamalu's original contract ends following the 2007 season. The Steelers don't have to do a thing. They can permit him to play out his deal and then slap a franchise tag on him for the next two seasons if he doesn't agree to their terms.

That wouldn't be a particularly nice way of doing business with one of the Steelers' best and most popular players, but it would be the price of doing business with a smaller-market team.

Demoff is trying to hammer out a deal for Polamalu this offseason, because the Steelers don't negotiate in season. Considering Polamalu has a year remaining on his original deal, what takes place between now and the Sept. 9 opener at Cleveland could be revealing.

Traditionally, the Steelers prefer to re-sign their core players the year before their contract ends.

Not signing Polamalu this offseason doesn't mean a new deal won't get done. But it would send the wrong message to players and fans.

Given that linebacker Joey Porter was released after not securing the contract he wanted, and given that unhappy Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca has already promised to leave when his contract runs out after next season, the Steelers need to re-sign Polamalu as a sign of good faith.

That's where Demoff, who has scaled back his workload, enters the picture. He needs a big score, just as Polamalu does.

After representing Hall of Famers Dan Marino and John Elway, Demoff has suffered some significant losses in recent years. High-profile clients such as running backs Larry Johnson and Corey Dillon, defensive end Julius Peppers and quarterback Chris Simmns cut their ties with Demoff. That leaves Polamalu, tackle Jonathan Ogden and linebackers Donnie Edwards and Junior Seau among Demoff's remaining big-name clients.

So far, Polamalu is adopting a low-key, goodwill approach in negotiations. That could change if Demoff, who's already shown the Steelers he can drive a hard bargain, is unable to secure Ed Reed type of money for Polamalu.

Reed, the Baltimore Ravens safety, signed a six-year contract in 2006 featuring a reported $15 million guaranteed -- the new standard for elite safties.

How successful Demoff is in negotiating a Reed-like contract for Polamalu could likely foretell which Demoff the Steelers encounter in the coming days:

The Demoff who negotiated Polamalu's rookie deal. Or the Demoff who represented Woodson when he held out 20 years ago.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_514779.html
Old 06-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Which stance for agent of Steelers' Polamalu?

I shouldn't worry about this, but his agent really seems like one who could become a headache for the front office. We need to keep Troy, the Rooney's have to pay him. I hope Polamalu being low key on the situation is a good thing, he seems to want to stay with the team., and I hope he does.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,522 Posts

just to add on this, i know alot of fans are eager to get this deal done NOW. i think the deal will get done.

say the steelers know they will write troy a check for $10,000,000 for a signing bonus. now take into account how much 10 mil. sitting in the bank will earn in interest for 3,4, or 5 months. whats the hurry? the rooneys will let that money sit in the bank making money. when it comes time for troy to hit the practice fields im sure he will get paid.

this is the reason 1st round draft picks are usually the last to sign. does a fiscally responsible businessman really wanna give a kid 25 million to sit in his bank account and earn interest for 3 months if he dont have to, all for doing nothing but spend his newfound fortunes? hell no. this is a business and the owners will treat it as such.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,415 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think tony has the answer to this that is alot of money to throw out right now.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
just to add on this, i know alot of fans are eager to get this deal done NOW. i think the deal will get done.

say the steelers know they will write troy a check for $10,000,000 for a signing bonus. now take into account how much 10 mil. sitting in the bank will earn in interest for 3,4, or 5 months. whats the hurry? the rooneys will let that money sit in the bank making money. when it comes time for troy to hit the practice fields im sure he will get paid.

this is the reason 1st round draft picks are usually the last to sign. does a fiscally responsible businessman really wanna give a kid 25 million to sit in his bank account and earn interest for 3 months if he dont have to, all for doing nothing but spend his newfound fortunes? hell no. this is a business and the owners will treat it as such.
So Tony have you ever thought of purchasing the Pirates. That little bit of insight right there makes me think your smarter then the Bucs FO.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

I read that this morning and thought it was kind of a non-article. There may be a problem or there may not. Troy's agent can be difficult or can be easy.

They'll get the deal done.
onthebus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

This is how I look at Troy's agent:

He will do what the player wants to do.If the player says take less for me to stay here,he will do that...after getting as much as possible for "less".If the player says "get me x amount of dollars or I'm holding out" he will do that too.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote