Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 06-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #31
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857
Default Re: US vs Japanese Cars and Workers

I believe that the unions have gotten carried away and they are unnecessary in today's world. That being said I don't believe that the downward spiral of the US auto industry is the fault of the UAW. Any company fails or succeeds because of management.

Our factories are good enough to compete in terms of productivity and quality. Yes quality! It just goes to show how hard it is to get a customer back after you lose one in any business. Just read the comments from this thread. I had a 86 Chevy, a 88 Ford ect. that had problems I'd never buy one again. Well they were junk back than, but in todays world Ford and GM make good quality dependable cars. I wonder how many of those who say I'd never buy an American car read Consumer Reports like it's the bible and think they are unbias? CR is a self promoting organization with unscientific reader based surveys that have low response rates. Who audits them? How do you even know they do a survey? Do you know anyone who bought a new car new car that filled out one of their surveys? Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union which is a lobbing group. Any lobbing group is bias. Don't believe everthing you read.

Ford and GM have dug themselves a huge hole. I hope that their management finds a way to dig out of it and that the UAW does their share to help.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #32
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Thumbs up Re: US vs Japanese Cars and Workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
I believe that the unions have gotten carried away and they are unnecessary in today's world. That being said I don't believe that the downward spiral of the US auto industry is the fault of the UAW. Any company fails or succeeds because of management.

Our factories are good enough to compete in terms of productivity and quality. Yes quality! It just goes to show how hard it is to get a customer back after you lose one in any business. Just read the comments from this thread. I had a 86 Chevy, a 88 Ford ect. that had problems I'd never buy one again. Well they were junk back than, but in todays world Ford and GM make good quality dependable cars. I wonder how many of those who say I'd never buy an American car read Consumer Reports like it's the bible and think they are unbias? CR is a self promoting organization with unscientific reader based surveys that have low response rates. Who audits them? How do you even know they do a survey? Do you know anyone who bought a new car new car that filled out one of their surveys? Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union which is a lobbing group. Any lobbing group is bias. Don't believe everthing you read.

Ford and GM have dug themselves a huge hole. I hope that their management finds a way to dig out of it and that the UAW does their share to help.

Another excellent post. Great read.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #33
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/pr...6/article.html

Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jeannine Fallon/Chintan Talati
Corporate Communications
www.Edmunds.com
Media Hotline: 310-309-4900
pr@edmunds.com

Edmunds.com Announces Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicle Awards for 2007

Crossover GMC Acadia Named "Most Significant Vehicle" by Consumers

SANTA MONICA, Calif. ? May 3, 2007 ? Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive information, today announced the winners of the sixth annual Edmunds.com Consumers' Most Wanted vehicle awards.

"These awards provide a good idea of what consumers are looking for in their next vehicle," said Karl Brauer, Editor in Chief of Edmunds.com. "This year, consumers voiced the opinion that the domestics are developing some very compelling cars and trucks."

By a considerable margin, the 2007 GMC Acadia won the flagship award, Edmunds.com Consumers' Most Significant Vehicle of 2007. The next highest finisher was the 2007 Saturn Aura, and the 2007 Honda Fit took third place.

Among manufacturers, Chevrolet led the pack, winning five awards, while Cadillac and Honda tied for second place, each winning four awards in this year's survey.

The 2007 winners are:

Most Significant Vehicle of the Year 2007 GMC Acadia

Sedan Under $15,000
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Sedan Under $20,000
2007 Honda Civic and
2007 Mazda 3 (tie)

Sedan Under $25,000
2007 Saturn Aura

Sedan Under $30,000
2007 Acura TSX

Sedan Under $35,000
2007 Cadillac CTS

Sedan Under $45,000
2007 Cadillac STS

Sedan Under $60,000
2007 BMW 5 Series

Sedan Over $60,000
2007 Lexus LS 460

Coupe Under $20,000
2007 Honda Civic

Coupe Under $30,000
2007 Ford Mustang

Coupe Under $40,000
2007 Infiniti G35

Coupe Under $60,000
2007 Chevrolet Corvette

Coupe Over $60,000
2007 Porsche 911

Wagon Under $15,000
2007 Kia Rio5

Wagon Under $20,000
2007 Mazda 3

Wagon Under $30,000
2007 Audi A3

Wagon Under $40,000
2007 Audi A4 and
2007 BMW 3 Series (tie)

Wagon Over $40,000
2007 BMW 5 Series

SUV Under $25,000
2007 Toyota RAV4

SUV Under $35,000
2007 GMC Acadia/2007 Saturn Outlook*

SUV Under $45,000
2007 Chevrolet Suburban/2007 GMC Yukon XL/ 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe/2007 GMC Yukon*

SUV Over $45,000
2007 Cadillac Escalade/2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV*

Convertible Under $25,000
2007 Saturn Sky

Convertible Under $35,000
2007 Honda S2000

Convertible Under $45,000
2007 BMW Z4

Convertible Under $60,000
2007 Chevrolet Corvette

Convertible Over $60,000
2007 Cadillac XLR

Compact Truck
2007 Toyota Tacoma

Large Truck
2007 Chevrolet Silverado/2007 GMC Sierra*

Minivan
2007 Honda Odyssey

Exotic
2007 Bugatti Veyron 16.4

* Represents "twin vehicles" that were listed jointly in the ballot. As described in detail in the Edmunds.com article Twinned Vehicles, twin vehicles are built on the same chassis and share most of their under-hood and interior components.

Details on all award winners are listed at:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/consu...007/index.html.

Each October, Edmunds.com editors present the winners of the Edmunds.com Editors' Most Wanted Vehicle awards. The most recent list of those winners can be found at
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostw...007/index.html.

About Edmunds Inc. (http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/)
Edmunds Inc. publishes four Web sites that empower, engage and educate automotive consumers, enthusiasts and insiders. Edmunds.com, the premier online resource for automotive consumer information, launched in 1995 as the first automotive information Web site. Its most popular feature, the Edmunds.com True Market Value?, is relied upon by millions of people seeking current transaction prices for new and used vehicles. Edmunds.com was named "Best Car Research Site" by Forbes ASAP, has been selected by consumers as the "Most Useful Web Site" according to every J.D. Power and Associates New Autoshopper.com Study(SM), was ranked first in the Survey of Car-Shopping Web Sites by The Wall Street Journal and was rated "#1" in Keynote's study of third-party automotive Web sites. Inside Line launched in 2005 and is the most-read automotive enthusiast Web site. CarSpace launched in 2006 and is an automotive social networking Web site. AutoObserver.com launched in 2007 and provides insightful automotive industry commentary and analysis. Edmunds Inc. is headquartered in Santa Monica, California, and maintains a satellite office in suburban Detroit.

Can't find the link, but also out 0f 10 assembly plants in the USA, GM had the 1 and 2nd, Ford 3rd Lordstown, Ohio came in 9th. And out of the top 10 Toyota and Honda were in the middle.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #34
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Thumbs up Re: US vs Japanese Cars and Workers

Old 07-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #35
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Never read more BS on theinternet anywhere, including many Browns and Bengal message boards.

If the owners are in Japan, China, or wherever, the money goes to them. I don't care where they put that money, bank, mattress, up there ....

Like I said all this BS about cars not made the same is exactly crap. They all use suppliers. All basically the same parts, just made to look different and put on the vehicles.

By the way, I own a 1999 Chevy S-10 and never had a single problem with it, and have over 162,000 mile on it. And my son has a 1995 Chevy S-10 that has had few problems with it. It is all perception, you just have a problem with the Big 3 cars is because they are union members.
Please...

I have no problem with AT&T, and they are union. I have no problem with United Airlines, and they are union. I have no problem with shopping at Rosauers, and they are union. When you paint with a broad brush, you end up being wrong.

Your union worldview is disallowing you to actually read what is in front of you. Fact is, I could care less if the product I buy is union or not. I care about quality. From the cars I and actually, my friends as well, have owned, I STILL won't buy American, because I don't trust the car. Period.

Think what you want, if it makes you happy. But there is a big difference in quality between American and Japanese cars. That difference is definetley shrinking... but it is still there.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #36
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Why does this sound like the company I work for now????
I was thinking the same thing.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote