Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-01-2007, 11:22 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,640 Times in 4,008 Posts
Default Re: United States of Debt ...

i dont think we were ever out of debt. the budget was just balanced by not incurring any new debt.

clinton knew the budget must be balanced 1st before we could even think of getting out of trillions of dollars of debt. (baby steps). i dont think he ever claimed that he could build rome in a day. any of his supporters who claimed we had no debt to pay off either were blind or talking about "new debt" and misrepresenting the facts.

from a monetary point of view the chart in this thread speaks pretty clearly.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
... the budget must be balanced 1st before we could even think of getting out of trillions of dollars of debt ...

I see your point. Thanks man.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:48 AM   #23
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
i dont think we were ever out of debt. the budget was just balanced by not incurring any new debt.

clinton knew the budget must be balanced 1st before we could even think of getting out of trillions of dollars of debt. (baby steps). i dont think he ever claimed that he could build rome in a day. any of his supporters who claimed we had no debt to pay off either were blind or talking about "new debt" and misrepresenting the facts.

I couldn't agree more.

However, if you want the deficit to go away(faster) you're going to need to do surplus spending. Leave some money for other important projects. It will help.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #24
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:

it's a correlation, nothing more.

In the late 90's, the balanced budget proposal was written & introduced by the newly elected majority republicans. Clinton acquiesced & signed then took all of the credit. It appears that the AMAZING tech boom & subsequent tax revenue may be the major contributor to the short term surplus situation. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see what Clinton did to create the surplus situation.

P.S. - republicans have actually raided S.S. trust fund before & after Clinton. It's a shame.

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 07-03-2007 at 08:17 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #25
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
LMAO, it's a correlation, nothing more.

In the late 90's, the balanced budget proposal was introduced, written & negotiated by the newly elected majority republicans. Clinton only acquiesced & signed then took all of the credit. Also, if you read the trust fund raid, it is democrats & republicans that raided it, apparently noone cares enough to read. However, it is obvious that the AMAZING tech boom & subsequent tax revenue created the surplus situation. If I'm wrong, show me exactly what Clinton did to create the surplus situation INSTANTANEOUSLY.......
I never remember him contributing anything to that.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #26
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
it's a correlation, nothing more.

In the late 90's, the balanced budget proposal was written & introduced by the newly elected majority republicans. Clinton acquiesced & signed then took all of the credit. It appears that the AMAZING tech boom & subsequent tax revenue may be the major contributor to the short term surplus situation. If I'm wrong, I'd like to see what Clinton did to create the surplus situation.

P.S. - republicans have actually raided S.S. trust fund before & after Clinton. It's a shame.
Regardless, the deficit is out of control & is on course to destroy this country in the next 50 - 75 years if not corrected.

As far as Clinton personally. He is brilliant, communicates masterfully & did some good things for this country. I hope our future presidents have some of these attributes.

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 07-03-2007 at 08:49 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #27
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

No. No. NO!
Clinton tried as hard as he could to put this nation trillions of dollars in debt (albeit for a noble cause- health care), but he failed in many ways. I hate to have to post parts of the whole articles that I posted links to that clearly most didn't bother to read, but, hey, ain't it your right as an American to just yell your opinion really loudly and often, whether you are informed or not?

-- In February 1993 President Clinton announces his new Administration's first economic program: a $16-billion "fiscal stimulus." The spending package is later abandoned by the Democratic Congress as too fiscally irresponsible.

-- In February 1993 President Clinton wins passage of his $250-billion tax hike -- which New York Sen. Pat Moynihan accurately describes as "the largest tax increase in world history." It passes both houses of Congress without a single Republican vote. The package contains approximately $2 of new spending for every $1 of new taxes.

-- In September 1993 the Clinton White House lobbies to defeat the bi-partisan Penny - Kasich deficit-reduction bill, which would have cut federal spending and the deficit by $90 billion over five years.

-- In January 1994 Bill and Hillary Clinton unveil "ClintonCare." The proposed hostile federal takeover of one-seventh of the U.S. economy would add at least $75 billion to the deficit over the next six years, according to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
-- In September 1994 the President furiously lobbies liberal Democrats in Congress to oppose a Balanced Budget Amendment -- a measure supported by 75 per cent of the American public. Labor Secretary Robert Reich is a little too honest when he confirms most Americans' suspicions about this Administration: "The President is against simply balancing the budget."

-- In October 1994 the President signs into law his $30-billion "crime bill." The Los Angeles Times describes the legislation as a "once-in-a-lifetime federal spending bonanza" containing "a vast array of new social programs" including federally funded exotic-dance classes, sensitivity-training courses, and midnight-basketball leagues. The cost of the Clinton bill has to be shaved after the Democratic House of Representatives rejects the original version as too expensive.

-- In January 1995 Bill Clinton submits a 1996 budget plan that calls for $12 trillion of spending over the next seven years and $200-billion deficits for as far as the eye can see. Even Washington Post reporter David Broder blasts the document as a "symbol of Clinton's failed leadership." Because of the debt Clinton is adding, writes Broder, "the annual net interest is projected to climb from $198 billion in 1993 to $270 billion in 1997 -- when it will, for the first time, be larger than the projected defense budget."

-- In March 1995 Clinton again helps torpedo the Balanced Budget Amendment -- this time by strong-arming five Democratic senators, who had campaigned as champions of the amendment -- to flip-flop and vote no.

-- In June 1995, under pressure from the GOP Congress, Bill Clinton submits a new, revised budget proposal. It still doesn't balance the budget by 2002.

-- In July 1995 the Clinton White House begins its successful "Medi-scare" strategy to undermine public support for a GOP plan to rein in stampeding Medicare costs. Even the Washington Post editorializes that the Clinton Administration has become a gang of "medagogues." On Medicare and Medicaid, the White House is "engaged in an irresponsible campaign based on distortion and fear."

-- In October 1995 Bill Clinton confirms what most of the public is already painfully aware of: "I raised your taxes too much."

-- In December 1995 Bill Clinton vetoes the historic balanced-budget legislation enacted by the Republican Congress --listing 82 reasons why it cuts too much spending. He complains of cuts in everything from foreign aid to corporate welfare.

-- Later that month Bill Clinton releases his unprecedented third and then fourth budget proposals of the year. But they still don't balance the budget.

-- In February 1996 Bill Clinton releases a $1.65-trillion 1997 budget that calls for $360 billion in added spending, or $3,100 per American household, over the next seven years. Then with a straight face he tells the nation that "the era of big government is over." Oh, and the proposal still doesn't balance the budget by 2002.

-- In April 1996 Clinton signs the GOP budget after the Republicans capitulate to his demands and add back some $10 billion of deficit spending.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #28
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

The only thing Clinton accomplished was to undermine the military and set this country up for failure in the future. He dazzled everyone with his wit, charm and personality while double dealing and selling away secrets overseas. Once people can get over their crush on the worthless windbag then maybe they will understand. Then again, they wont because the failings of Bush only accentuate the love for Slick Willie. Disgusting.