Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 40,718
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,437
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

i think im with LITP, revefsreleets, and mosca on this one. historically in the draft, teams knew not to even worry about a safety in the 1st round and it is only a recent trend that safeties are being drafted in the 1st 15 picks (thank polamalu for changing this trend though- he exemplifies the importance of the position).

we and the nfl have had many great teams in the past but nobody has peeled off 13 wins in the same (regular) season, and nobody has won a sb at a younger age than ben. akili smith or cade mcnown (or even pennington or grossman) wouldve been able to accomplish the same on the steelers teams the past few years.

a case must be made for willie parker though. (edge still goes to big ben - rb's are shorter lived and easier to find). he can easilly have more carries than the qb has pass attempts in any given game, and is trully a "gamebreaker". there are a definitely a few qb's who can be said to have better skill sets than big ben, but not that many who have what willie brings to the table.
__________________
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #22
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Most indispensable...

To me, that means, when he is out, the team suffers more then they would with anyone else....

So, Troy? Nope, Our D played pretty well without him. I agree he is our best player.. but I am not sure most indispensable... Same with Ben.

So who has the biggest drop off if they are out?

I gotta say Fast Willie. Here is why...

Say we are playing in the SB... and you had to play the backups in a position....

Would you rather play one of our backup safeties in the place of Troy?
Would you rather play Batch in Ben's place?
Or would you rather play one of our RB's in Willie's place?

I gotta say Willie is the most indispensable.

While I like Faneca... We have a couple of backups that I actually trust... so the drop off wouldn't be nearly as bad as it would be with the RB.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think im with LITP, revefsreleets, and mosca on this one. historically in the draft, teams knew not to even worry about a safety in the 1st round and it is only a recent trend that safeties are being drafted in the 1st 15 picks (thank polamalu for changing this trend though- he exemplifies the importance of the position).

we and the nfl have had many great teams in the past but nobody has peeled off 13 wins in the same (regular) season, and nobody has won a sb at a younger age than ben. akili smith or cade mcnown (or even pennington or grossman) wouldve been able to accomplish the same on the steelers teams the past few years.

a case must be made for willie parker though. (edge still goes to big ben - rb's are shorter lived and easier to find). he can easilly have more carries than the qb has pass attempts in any given game, and is trully a "gamebreaker". there are a definitely a few qb's who can be said to have better skill sets than big ben, but not that many who have what willie brings to the table.
Dang you Tony....

I started my post before you... Stop stealing my thoughts!!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 PM   #24
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,474
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 969
Thanked 4,307 Times in 1,829 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Dang you Tony....

I started my post before you... Stop stealing my thoughts!!!
HACK !!!!! just kiddin preach
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #25
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
HACK !!!!! just kiddin preach
No your not!!

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:20 PM   #26
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Ok I think Ben, Troy, all have solid cases and I can't say you're wrong if you go with one of those guys....

But I have to go with Willie Parker....If he goes down with serious injury then the Steelers are screwed and basically will be picking in the top 10 next year if not worse.....I think if Ben went down then Batch could keep this team around 500 or so........

As for Troy true we couldn't do the same things on defense with Troy not in there....But the Steelers have solid depth at safety....Whoever doesn't start at FS probably could take over at SS if Troy went down...Then there is also Tyrone Carter is a solid backup....

If Parker went down that leaves Dookie, Barlow, Haynes,Kuhn or Russell.......I don't think any of those guys could take the balk of the carries and be effective on a consistent basis....We all saw last year that Willie Parker could carry the rock over 300 times in a season....Those guys are nothing more the RBs that could fit into a rotation with Willie Parker......
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #27
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner
 
xXTheSteelKingsXx's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,636
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5803
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Ok I think Ben, Troy, all have solid cases and I can't say you're wrong if you go with one of those guys....

But I have to go with Willie Parker....If he goes down with serious injury then the Steelers are screwed and basically will be picking in the top 10 next year if not worse.....I think if Ben went down then Batch could keep this team around 500 or so........

As for Troy true we couldn't do the same things on defense with Troy not in there....But the Steelers have solid depth at safety....Whoever doesn't start at FS probably could take over at SS if Troy went down...Then there is also Tyrone Carter is a solid backup....

If Parker went down that leaves Dookie, Barlow, Haynes,Kuhn or Russell.......I don't think any of those guys could take the balk of the carries and be effective on a consistent basis....We all saw last year that Willie Parker could carry the rock over 300 times in a season....Those guys are nothing more the RBs that could fit into a rotation with Willie Parker......
I was thinking Willie too but the survey had five guys Faneca, Ben, Troy, Ward, and Hampton. How can they not add the guy who won the team MVP in the previous season?
__________________
xXTheSteelKingsXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM   #28
The Duke
Living Legend
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,459
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Definitely Willie
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #29
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter
 
Stlrs4Life's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New Bedford, Pa
Posts: 5,659
Gender: Male
Member Number: 419
Thanks: 24
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My Mood: Bored
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

Ben, Troy, flip a coin.
__________________

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 PM   #30
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter
 
TackleMeBen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Posts: 4,854
Gender: Female
Member Number: 4435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Steeler's most indispensable player?

i would have to go with willie parker (man that kills me to say that b/c he played at unc).

i have trust in batch to come in and do a good job if something were to happen to ben.

but i dont think we really have a capable back up for willie if he were to get hurt and go down. (please correct me if i am wrong on this one.)
__________________

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts