Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
greenparrot
Water Boy

Member Number: 3743
Default Re: Top 10 Linebacker Corps All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I kinda agree. Not to say the 70's Steelers LB's werent't the best. But, LB's are just a few out of 22. For arguments sake, were the Saints soooo bad that if you gave them the top LB's of all time, is it possible that they still might've sucked?
actually....during the prime of these 4 linebackers the Saints had pretty good teams with very good defenses. Offense was always the problem. What we could nave used from great Steeler teams was maybe Bradshaw, Swan & Franco....now that may have made o difference.
greenparrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Not sure it was anti-Steelers bias. We were the only team to make the list twice, and the Top Ten Draft Classes had the 1974 Steeler draft as #1.

They said the reason the Aints were the best is they didn't have great D-line, secondary, and offense to help them like we did. But I still have to say Ham-Lambert-Russell was better than the Dome Patrol.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #23
49erFaithfull
Water Boy

Member Number: 5837

Look, I think were all misunderstanding the pre-requisites of this list..

I just registered here, although I read it from time to time just so I can respond.

I thought the list was pretty darn good. You're never going to make anyone happy.

Pre-Reqs Used:
Pro-Bowls
# of players in Pro Bowls
Help ( if any )
What players thought

Everyone who knows anything about playing defense in the NAtional Football League knows a linebacker can't do squat without an effective, not great, but just effective Defensive Line. I.E. Ray Lewis 2003 - 2005 VS when he had Sam Adams and Tony Siragusa.

If anyone here even dares to name a D-Lineman from the Saints in those years where [B]all 4[B] of the Dome Patrol went to the Pro Bowl, you really need to get a life. Dont forget, those were the years where guys like Lawrence Taylor was running around. Making a Pro-Bowl in the NFC was no pancake. To send 4 was insane.

The Superbowl yadda yadda is exactly that.... yadda yadda. When we're measuring success in Football from such an individualistic standpoint how can you bring up the ULTIMATE team prize?

The 4 years the Dome Patrol was together, they went to the Pro Bowl. No other team in the history of the League has ever sent more then 3, besides them. Throw in the fact they had 0 help up front, I'd say that sums up the difference right there.

This is not to take anything away from the Steelers, but they called it the Steel Curtain and not the LInebacker Curtain for a reason....... If you didnt lose your head with both the Greens and Co., you got it bitten off by the linebackers.

All in all I loved the show, good to hear from old players.
49erFaithfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #24
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Glad to see the Chiefs LBs on the list - since the Steelers were not competitive until 1972 and I needed a team to root for during the playoffs after the Steelers season always ended I picked the Chiefs over the Raiders/Jets alternatives in the late 60s/early 70s (AFL was a much more entertaining game than the pound the ball NFL of that era). Christmas Day Chiefs/Dolphins OT playoff game ranked among my earliest memories of great playoff games.

The Saints LBs seem like a nice contrarian choice as top LB corps, but the point is to win something; it is like picking Marino as the all time greatest QB. I would pick the LT Giants LBs or Ham/Lambert/Russell over the Saints.
Does that Chiefs - Dolphins game still hold the record for the longest game ever played?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #25
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Here is the thing Atlanta Dan of why SB Championships were not part of how they were picked: FOOTBALL IS A TEAM SPORT.

Championships equal greatness in sports like golf and tennis.

In baseball,basketball,hockey,and football championships are team accomplishments.

You can't tell me that Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino...that Dominic Rhodes is better than Sanders...just because Dilfer and Rhodes have rings.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote