Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #31
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Vick indicted

Hopefully they kick valtrex king to the curve. I wonder if they will give valtrex to pitbull before bubba gets a hold of him in prison. You know they do not want every prisoner having outbreaks.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #32
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so if vick gets a strike for having herpes does brady get a strike for inpregnating a girl out of wedlock?
Vick gets a strike for spreading it without letting the woman he was having intercourse know he had the STD.Reports said he never mentioned it to her before he boinked her.That makes him a scumbag.

If just having it made him a scumbag,then my best friend would be one too...and he got his from high school wrestling (herpes of the mouth,not the cash and prizes).He has let his two GF's he's had since he contracted herpes that he has it,which is the correct thing to do when you have any type of STD.

Brady is having a child out of wedlock.That is something completley different that spreading an STD.He isn't handling it well,which doesn't make him a scumbag yet (lets see how involved he is in the kid's life first).if having a child out of wedlock made you a scumbag,then most of the people who have kids nowadays would all be scumbags.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 09:23 PM   #33
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Am I correct in assuming that this case would be heard by a regular jury of citizens?

If that is the case, I see heartstrings really getting tugged in the prosecutions favor. Dogs that were not only forced to fight each other, but shot, hanged, electrocuted, beaten to death by, supposedly, Vick and co.?

I read most of the indictment, but it was becoming repetitive. By the sounds of it they have people ready to testify since they have already disclosed so many dates and info about six years of fights.

I can't see Vick NOT getting suspended...
As someone in a Falcons forum put it.
If a CEO is accused of embezzlement
A teacher accused of molestation

Would they not get a little "vacation" to figure things out? I would think/hope so.

So why not a Pro Athlete who is accused of organizing and participating in an illegal gambling ring?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #34
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

here ya go.. tribute to vick kennel.. lol
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 PM   #35
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,350 Times in 2,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
Am I correct in assuming that this case would be heard by a regular jury of citizens?

If that is the case, I see heartstrings really getting tugged in the prosecutions favor. Dogs that were not only forced to fight each other, but shot, hanged, electrocuted, beaten to death by, supposedly, Vick and co.?

I read most of the indictment, but it was becoming repetitive. By the sounds of it they have people ready to testify since they have already disclosed so many dates and info about six years of fights.

I can't see Vick NOT getting suspended...
As someone in a Falcons forum put it.
If a CEO is accused of embezzlement
A teacher accused of molestation

Would they not get a little "vacation" to figure things out? I would think/hope so.

So why not a Pro Athlete who is accused of organizing and participating in an illegal gambling ring?
T.H. and I had this discussion the other day in the context of whether a player should get suspended for a first DWI. Under the "substance abuse policy" no, but does the "code of conduct" trump that? In your analogies, the CEO has no CBA and the teacher very well may go on leave without pay once an indictment is returned pursuant to the terms of the CBA if a teacher's union is in the picture . With no union or contract you are an employee at will and, absent discrimination in violation of federal law, the employer can terminate you for any reason at all. It all depends on the terms of the CBA or other employment contract.

My bet is Vick's lawyers come out swinging and we will hear lots of references to the Duke lacrosse prosecution by his supporters in the coming days. I also look for boycotts of companies Vick endorses and, for that matter, the Falcons. This is going to get ugly.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM   #36
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Vick gets a strike for spreading it without letting the woman he was having intercourse know he had the STD.Reports said he never mentioned it to her before he boinked her.That makes him a scumbag.

If just having it made him a scumbag,then my best friend would be one too...and he got his from high school wrestling (herpes of the mouth,not the cash and prizes).He has let his two GF's he's had since he contracted herpes that he has it,which is the correct thing to do when you have any type of STD.

Brady is having a child out of wedlock.That is something completley different that spreading an STD.He isn't handling it well,which doesn't make him a scumbag yet (lets see how involved he is in the kid's life first).if having a child out of wedlock made you a scumbag,then most of the people who have kids nowadays would all be scumbags.
actually vick doesnt get a strike for that. there is no "scumbag clause" in the player conduct policy, and while your personal opinion is appreciated i doubt goodell is basing suspensions on how some highschool kid who got mouth herpes from wrestling, conducted himelf with girls afterwards.

personally, i feel if goodell wants to suspend vick, going to trial on federal felony crimes stands by itself. im more interested in the legal ramifications and how the players union than i am who thinks hes a scumbag and who doesnt. i think its pretty unanimous that vick is a scumbag just like it is with ray lewis. that never stopped ray lewis from taking the field, and he was inderectly behind 2 humans dying, not 8 dogs.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #37
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
T.H. and I had this discussion the other day in the context of whether a player should get suspended for a first DWI. Under the "substance abuse policy" no, but does the "code of conduct" trump that? In your analogies, the CEO has no CBA and the teacher very well may go on leave without pay once an indictment is returned pursuant to the terms of the CBA if a teacher's union is in the picture . With no union or contract you are an employee at will and, absent discrimination in violation of federal law, the employer can terminate you for any reason at all. It all depends on the terms of the CBA or other employment contract.

My bet is Vick's lawyers come out swinging and we will hear lots of references to the Duke lacrosse prosecution by his supporters in the coming days. I also look for boycotts of companies Vick endorses and, for that matter, the Falcons. This is going to get ugly.
excellent and informative explaination.

initial OJ and ray ray cynicizm (throw in jacko), had me thinking this would another simple case where the high profile celebrity just wins over the jury and judge and walks. however, like you said, this is dealing with the feds and actual eyewitnesses.

i never even gave a second thought to the public perception of all the GA locals being so loyal to the "bulldogs". it may seem trivial on the surface, but then i think of tj douchbag wiping his shoe with the terrible towel and what type of emotions that stirred up.

in the case of the feds vs vick, is there protocol to where that trial would be held? would it be in the nearest federal court to where the crime was committed, or would it be wherever the govt wanted to have it?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #38
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,350 Times in 2,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
excellent and informative explaination.

initial OJ and ray ray cynicizm (throw in jacko), had me thinking this would another simple case where the high profile celebrity just wins over the jury and judge and walks. however, like you said, this is dealing with the feds and actual eyewitnesses.

i never even gave a second thought to the public perception of all the GA locals being so loyal to the "bulldogs". it may seem trivial on the surface, but then i think of tj douchbag wiping his shoe with the terrible towel and what type of emotions that stirred up.

in the case of the feds vs vick, is there protocol to where that trial would be held? would it be in the nearest federal court to where the crime was committed, or would it be wherever the govt wanted to have it?
The indictment was returned by a grand jury sitting in the Eastern District of Virginia, Richmond Division - there are 94 federal judicial districts, often more than one in a state, and sometime divisions within a district - the districts' breakdown is by state and, then for districts & divisions within a state, by county . For example, Pittsburgh is in the Western District of Pennsylvania (link to map here - http://www.fedstats.gov/mapstats/fjd/ ).

When conduct occurs in multiple jurisdictions prosecutors have lot of leeway where to seek an indictment. For example, it appears the property owned by Vick was in Smithfield VA, which is Isle of Wight County in the Eastern District Of Virginia, Norfolk Division. My bet is the federal prosecutors preferred a Richmond Division jury pool to a Norfolk Division jury pool so they presented the indictment to a Richmond Division grand jury.

Court proceedings and any trial will be in Richmond VA. Vick will make his initial appearance in Richmond before whichever magistrate judge has duty that day. A magistrate judge sitting in Richmond will be randomly assigned to handle pretrial proceedings and a U.S. District Judge sitting in Richmond will be randomly assigned as trial judge. Pretrial rulings by the magistrate judge on such issues as motions to suppress evidence can be appealed to the trial judge prior to trial.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:58 PM   #39
tony hipchest

thanks. thats kinda what i was thinking. since youre so close to his fanbase, and i know what a local hero (sportswise) he has become there, if a trial were held near atlanta do you think he would have the benefit of the fanbase/ local jury pool, or is it beyond that stage, to where he would be disadvantaged. or does he have a 50/50 split of support?

of course this is just a hypothetical. i think it would be quickly moved with the reasonning he couldnt (or the state couldnt) get a fair trial either way.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #40
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

im very interested to know who the jury would be... a jury of his peers would be highly-paid nfl players... but hopefully if that's the case Clinton Portis isnt on the jury

EDIT: w00t 500 posts!!!!!