Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #31
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well sure, i'd use the term 'ignorant' (in the proper sense) rather than uneducated.

I guess that people with a lack of money, tend have a less varied experience of what life has to offer and are therefore basing their opinions on what others have told them to believe.
....or those who have nothing to be proud of due to lack of effort...will grab a hold of ...and glorify something that is beyond their control...i.e. the color of their skin.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,154
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 880
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well sure, i'd use the term 'ignorant' (in the proper sense) rather than uneducated.

I guess that people with a lack of money, tend have a less varied experience of what life has to offer and are therefore basing their opinions on what others have told them to believe.
i disagree. how many wealthy people take the oppurtunity to experience life in a ghetto? after all isn't that where racial diversity is the most prominent? do you think the wealthy white guy living in beverly hills has a family of blacks living on one side,and a family of hispanics on the other?
i guess you could say
having a black maid ,and a mexican gardner ,would qualify as a "varied experience" on different races....
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #33
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach
 
Aussie_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,814
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5037
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Hip hop culture has to accept a large part of the blame for the proliferation of the N word globally.

In Australia our youth gravitate towards american trends, as that is the predominant image broadcast on our television stations. It is sad to see our Indigenous aboriginal youth use this word as greeting to each other. It is equally as sad to see the rest of our multicultural youth try to use the word as well. It sounds ugly no matter what context it is used in.

We have battled for so long to end racism in this country but our youth keep inflaming the situation with hip hop associated rebellion. The history behind our colonised country still plays an equally big part in battle with racism.

Remove the use of these derogatory terms from our television and music, and our next generation of youth will hopeful be free of these unacceptable terms. Add to that the need to remove the endless put downs to females in rap music and we might make some progress for our children.

Glad to see the end of the word, personally. Lets hope it filters down to the youth and in 20 odd years it may begin to disappear.

"One Race --> The human race"
__________________
Aussie_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:56 AM   #34
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i disagree. how many wealthy people take the oppurtunity to experience life in a ghetto? after all isn't that where racial diversity is the most prominent? do you think the wealthy white guy living in beverly hills has a family of blacks living on one side,and a family of hispanics on the other?
i guess you could say
having a black maid ,and a mexican gardner ,would qualify as a "varied experience" on different races....
I wasn't referring to 'wealthy' people when I made that comment, just people who are 'not poor'.

Then again, I wouldn't regard myself as wealthy but i've never lived in a ghetto, but I have experienced poverty to some degree in different parts of the world.

People with money at least have the means to experience more diverse situations - of course it doesn't mean they are all going to take that opportunity.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #35
silver & black
Team President
 
silver & black's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Massillon, Oh.
Posts: 2,453
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1836
Thanks: 6
Thanked 246 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You know what I did when I saw footage of this "ceremony?"

I chuckled.

Why? Because they're burying a word that should have been dead and buried long ago. Or, at least it would have been had black folks not created one huge double standard by using the word in a "different context" and try to justify it, then turn around and persecute a white person for using it because it's offensive and racist. I don't give a damn what context it's used in - I don't like the word, it's a disgusting and derogatory word, and it should not be used by anyone, anywhere, at any time. It's amazing, and sad, that it took a pissed off stand-up comic and a shock jock for the NAACP to finally come to that realization and speak out against it.

The media and especially the entertainment industry should also take their fair share of the blame for the double standard taking hold.
Not much more to say after that post... well said.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #36
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter
 
MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 14,154
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1990
Thanks: 880
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I wasn't referring to 'wealthy' people when I made that comment, just people who are 'not poor'.

Then again, I wouldn't regard myself as wealthy but i've never lived in a ghetto, but I have experienced poverty to some degree in different parts of the world.

People with money at least have the means to experience more diverse situations - of course it doesn't mean they are all going to take that opportunity.
the poverty isn't what i was refering to. my point was there's usually more different races to be found in a poor neighborhood than in a non financial challenged area. thus giving unfortunate people more oppurtunity to experience different races and cultures on an up close and personel level.
__________________
“If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” ― James Madison

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #37
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

X-terminator got it.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #38
Steelerstrength
Starter
 
Steelerstrength's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Santa Barbara
Posts: 442
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3283
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
You know what I did when I saw footage of this "ceremony?"

I chuckled.

Why? Because they're burying a word that should have been dead and buried long ago. Or, at least it would have been had black folks not created one huge double standard by using the word in a "different context" and try to justify it, then turn around and persecute a white person for using it because it's offensive and racist. I don't give a damn what context it's used in - I don't like the word, it's a disgusting and derogatory word, and it should not be used by anyone, anywhere, at any time. It's amazing, and sad, that it took a pissed off stand-up comic and a shock jock for the NAACP to finally come to that realization and speak out against it.

The media and especially the entertainment industry should also take their fair share of the blame for the double standard taking hold.

The NAACP obviously thought it was time for ANOTHER display of their disgust for the word! For too many years have they been denouncing the use of the word, especially by the younger generation of rappers within hip-hop culture. It has, and always will be offensive for anyone to use the term, especially if your from another race, because it is more offensive. Their disdane for the word has never subsided, it's just what our media chose to report as the latest news, or not. We are fed what the media chooses. Michael Richards bullshit rant, and Imus' idiotic comment, were just another wound brought into the light by the media. The NAACP took the opportunity, once again, to display the same message, but in a different eye-catching way, so they can attract and use that same predictable media for their cause. It is not ironic, it is a necessary way to convey a message when you feel it is once again required.
__________________
Steelerstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #39
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

The problem is that there is way to much symbolism, and very little substance to what is done on the racial front these days... and politics are completely at the core of it.

I have a unique perspective, as I grew up in a very white area. There was one black kid in my grade school and 3 in my highschool. Interestingly, they were all treated very well. This I know, because they were some of the most popular people at school.

However, as I stated in other threads, I have pastored in inner-city black neighborhoods, now pastoring in a predominantly Latino neighborhood, married a Jewish woman (who believes in Jesus), etc. etc.

What I have found is that racism is an untamed extension of every humans xenophobic tenancy. Xenophobia (in its proper understanding, not as a euphemism for racism) is useful, in some places good as it keeps humans safe in circumstances they are not aware of. The fear of others and other cultures often will keep a person quite and observing. However, there are a number of times when Xenophobia back-channels into what could be best described as a "reverse culture shock." This happens when the culture that is surrounding a person is being changed by another race that is coming into the community, changing the dynamic of the community. The original race thus reacts to the changes with fear and strikes out verbally, physically, or harbors much resentment. This phenomenon is seen in the words WOP (W) ith (O) ut (P) apers (or passports). It was a reaction to Italians coming over and bringing a culture with them that was distinctly different the culture in the surrounding community. The same can be same for the Asians, Irish, etc. etc. However, EVERY community deals with these problems. Watc ANY community of ANY race deal with the changing culture of that community as it involves another culture, and you will have the same issues.

In other places, racism is blunt and open. In the United States, the issue of racism and blacks is, HAS TO BE, distinctly different then the issue of racism for any other race, and thus solved differently. The black community was the only community that was literally enslaved for centuries, freed, and then re-enslaved by our government into the social welfare system destroying families... If you don't believe me, ask a single mother what happens if she marries the father of the child.

Now that happens in all races, however, in the U.S., we have tilted the scales. We have created public schools which fail to teach the children, but not given the inner-city children the rights or ability to go to private schools through vouchers if their public schools fail them. Then, We tell them that they are not good enough to compete with other races and add "bonus points" for their color in college entrances... and YES.. that absolutely happens. Then, in college, we have created a whole department for black people to study "African studies." Now while that is nice, it provides for a GREAT MINIMUM WAGE JOB when they graduate. THen, politicians come along again and blame it on these people, those people, history, etc.. and here is a a few more dollars if you keep voting for me. Thus, there goes another generation. It is SO BAD now that in many places, if a black child gets good grades, he gets jumped after school and is told to stop selling out the race. Yes, I know second-hand about this, as I have spoken to people who have seen or participated in it. Why does it happen? Because young childrne are now believing the lies that excelling in education is for white and asian kids, not black kids.

That is why I look at the NAACP, and shake my head. Because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with the real problems at hand, lest they lose some of their own political power. Instead, they attack a word, instead of the institutional prejudices that are behind the word.

Racial tensions will always exist. All it takes is another culture moving into the area. However, what needs to change is the institutionalized lies that are now sold to the black community.

Of course, the organized intelligentsia that is driving the racial discussion now is the same group (Media heads, politicians, university heads, and profs, etc), that was driving Eugenics in its hey-day.

Now that I have thoroughly ticked off 80 percent of the board... I will go back into hiding!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #40
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
The problem is that there is way to much symbolism, and very little substance to what is done on the racial front these days... and politics are completely at the core of it.

I have a unique perspective, as I grew up in a very white area. There was one black kid in my grade school and 3 in my highschool. Interestingly, they were all treated very well. This I know, because they were some of the most popular people at school.

However, as I stated in other threads, I have pastored in inner-city black neighborhoods, now pastoring in a predominantly Latino neighborhood, married a Jewish woman (who believes in Jesus), etc. etc.

What I have found is that racism is an untamed extension of every humans xenophobic tenancy. Xenophobia (in its proper understanding, not as a euphemism for racism) is useful, in some places good as it keeps humans safe in circumstances they are not aware of. The fear of others and other cultures often will keep a person quite and observing. However, there are a number of times when Xenophobia back-channels into what could be best described as a "reverse culture shock." This happens when the culture that is surrounding a person is being changed by another race that is coming into the community, changing the dynamic of the community. The original race thus reacts to the changes with fear and strikes out verbally, physically, or harbors much resentment. This phenomenon is seen in the words WOP (W) ith (O) ut (P) apers (or passports). It was a reaction to Italians coming over and bringing a culture with them that was distinctly different the culture in the surrounding community. The same can be same for the Asians, Irish, etc. etc. However, EVERY community deals with these problems. Watc ANY community of ANY race deal with the changing culture of that community as it involves another culture, and you will have the same issues.

In other places, racism is blunt and open. In the United States, the issue of racism and blacks is, HAS TO BE, distinctly different then the issue of racism for any other race, and thus solved differently. The black community was the only community that was literally enslaved for centuries, freed, and then re-enslaved by our government into the social welfare system destroying families... If you don't believe me, ask a single mother what happens if she marries the father of the child.

Now that happens in all races, however, in the U.S., we have tilted the scales. We have created public schools which fail to teach the children, but not given the inner-city children the rights or ability to go to private schools through vouchers if their public schools fail them. Then, We tell them that they are not good enough to compete with other races and add "bonus points" for their color in college entrances... and YES.. that absolutely happens. Then, in college, we have created a whole department for black people to study "African studies." Now while that is nice, it provides for a GREAT MINIMUM WAGE JOB when they graduate. THen, politicians come along again and blame it on these people, those people, history, etc.. and here is a a few more dollars if you keep voting for me. Thus, there goes another generation. It is SO BAD now that in many places, if a black child gets good grades, he gets jumped after school and is told to stop selling out the race. Yes, I know second-hand about this, as I have spoken to people who have seen or participated in it. Why does it happen? Because young childrne are now believing the lies that excelling in education is for white and asian kids, not black kids.

That is why I look at the NAACP, and shake my head. Because they don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with the real problems at hand, lest they lose some of their own political power. Instead, they attack a word, instead of the institutional prejudices that are behind the word.

Racial tensions will always exist. All it takes is another culture moving into the area. However, what needs to change is the institutionalized lies that are now sold to the black community.

Of course, the organized intelligentsia that is driving the racial discussion now is the same group (Media heads, politicians, university heads, and profs, etc), that was driving Eugenics in its hey-day.

Now that I have thoroughly ticked off 80 percent of the board... I will go back into hiding!

Perhaps one of the best posts ever!!!!...thanks Preacher!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts