Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #1
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Steelers' Tomlin watching negotiations;

Steelers' Tomlin watching negotiations;

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, July 20, 2007

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is confident that every player will report on time when training camp opens Monday at St. Vincent College. To that end, Tomlin said he's willing to become involved in negotiations with any of the team's unsigned draft picks to help speed things along. "It hasn't been required as of yet," Tomlin said Thursday during his press conference at the team's South Side facility. "I'm sure if (time) gets tight, I'll be involved."
First-round draft pick Lawrence Timmons, third-round pick Matt Spaeth and fifth-round pick William Gay remain unsigned.
Tomlin said it's important that everyone report on time "because the train starts moving at 4 o'clock on Monday. It's tough to get on a moving train if you haven't tried before. You like to have everybody all aboard before you take off."
Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Timmons, exchanged contract proposals with the Steelers and believes Timmons will sign before the start of camp. Yesterday afternoon, Rosenhaus said there was nothing new to report. As for his veterans, all of whom are under contract, Tomlin said he expects another standout season from Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca.
"I'm just look forward to reporting to camp and seeing him along with the rest of them," Tomlin said.
Faneca, unhappy that he's entering the final year of his contract without a new deal, attended a mandatory minicamp but missed all of the voluntary offseason workouts in protest.
"You don't play football the way he plays football without being a professional," Tomlin said. "I think ultimately your character shows through. It's obvious when you turn the tape on what his football character is about."
A co-captain, Faneca said he's no longer interested in filling that role. Entering his first season as coach, Tomlin said he will select new co-captains for 2007.
"We're going to select captains, but we're not going to anoint anyone," Tomlin said. "We're going to watch the process of the team building, but I think that they'll reveal themselves."
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger gained Tomlin's respect with a strong offseason. Tomlin has nothing but good things to say about Roethlisberger, who tossed a career-high 23 interceptions in 2006.
"I know he's very motivated, I know he's very competitive," Tomlin said. "I know on a personal note he feels like he has some critics to answer, which is great. I expect good things from him. I've been very pleased with where he is and how he's taken to the changes around here. He's behaved like a franchise quarterback."
Note: First-year wide receiver Gerran Walker and rookie free agent long snapper Jared Retkofsky were released yesterday. That reduces the training camp roster to 86 players.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Steelers' Tomlin watching negotiations;

Quote:
"We're going to select captains, but we're not going to anoint anyone," Tomlin said. "We're going to watch the process of the team building, but I think that they'll reveal themselves."
That is a beautiful quote.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,627 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I can't wait to see tomlin in action.I believe he will be near the top for nfl coaches.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:16 AM   #4
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
That is a beautiful quote.
Very beautiful. Football is close..so close that I can almost taste it
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

I had assumed Faneca would give up his position as team captain but I am still disappointed to read confirmation.

That is not a diss of the Rooneys; that is dissing his teammates and saying it is only about me.

Faneca 's behavior is that of a 30 year old man who has the emotional maturity of an 8 year old child.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

I really like this man's approach towards the team, the media, the fans... It's a blue collar culture; a strong culture developing under his regime. Let's hope it plays out in the season.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
WorldBuilder
Water Boy

Member Number: 5914

While I agree with your sentiment about Faneca, let's admit that he damn well deserves to have the Rooney's kissing his feet. Faneca has bled B&G for years and has always worked under the assumption he'd be taken care of. And he hasn't been... He should be.
WorldBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldBuilder View Post
Faneca has bled B&G for years and has always worked under the assumption he'd be taken care of. And he hasn't been...
He was made the highest-paid guard in the league with his last contract in '02. I don't blame the Rooneys for not breaking the bank to keep his salary in line with other teams that are now grossly overpaying for marginal OG talent.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
Very beautiful. Football is close..so close that I can almost taste it
These seem to be the slowest days.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Timmons, exchanged contract proposals with the Steelers and believes Timmons will sign before the start of camp.
Ughhhhh. Mr. Pie in the Sky Rosenhaus. Hopefully, TImmons will be signed by Monday at 4 PM.

As for Faneca - SHADDUP and GROW UP. Who gives a rat's patoot if you don't wanna be co-captain - I'm not going to lose any sleep over it and I doubt any of your teammates will either. Go have a doughnut.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote