Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Re: How Important is The Pre-Season?

I like to watch the rookies and young players in preseason games but I to believe that they should cut it down to 3 games to keep players from being injured.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:04 PM   #12
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

It def. matter its gets to show all the youngsters rut there stuff and helps evaluate the players and see if there ready for the regular season i don't agree that the pre-season records means anything.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 05:44 AM   #13
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Point taken, but how many players do colleges keep on the roster? In addition, the college coach doesn't have a cap to worry about a salary cap, and thus, somtimes have to decide between the low priced draft pick and the expensive veteran for the same roster spot..
Good point on college number of players, and the low priced draft pick or free agent for the same roster spot. WIth a easy million or 2 saved, kind of makes it easy on that one. I think that 3 maybe 4 games is plenty of games to figure out what ya need to know about players most of the time. I know in preseason I get excited over players and alot of times if they make the roster they still dont get in the games or dont even get to dress for them. I really look forward to seeing what Jon Kuhn does this preseason because this is Kreiders' last year on his contract.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedosesteelers2006 View Post
I honestly think that the pre-season is important to me. I dont know if we need to play as many as 5 games though. I think like 3 or 4 at the most should be enough. Just so many games and too many injuries that are liable' to happen.
Also... Do you think that the pre-season final win-loss record means anything?
I think that it is good to try to win and keep or get your team morale up for the regular season...
I think the coaches get a lot out of it, but I don't think it means anything as far as how your team will do in the regular season... as evidenced by the Raiders 4-1 record in the pre-season last year. We all know how last year turned out for them.

I think pre-season is a lot more importent for the younger players and second and third string guys that don't see too much playing time. It is good for the coaching staff to see what these guys have to offer if they are needed during the regular season. The vets don't /shouldn't play much in pre-season. Without those guys playing, there really is no way to gauge how your team will do in the regular season.

On a side note... thanks for the PM's. I try to reply to you, but it says you don't accept PM's when I try to send.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #15
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

Having many new coaches and plays I'm glad the Steelers have the extra game this year. Even if the starters only play a couple of series it gives the back ups valuable playing time. Every team has injuries thru out the season. The teams that end up winning are the teams that have back ups who fill in for injured starters and win games. Your back ups are every bit as important as your starters.

How many times have you seen a team start the season slow 1-3 or 2-4 only to get on a roll and finish the season 9-2? Would they have had a better year if the got more playing time in the preseason?

As boring as a preseason game can get at times, I believe that they are very important. As for the record I don't think it's important although it's always nice to be in a habit of winning.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote