Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Steelers' Hampton eager to expand horizons

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_520415.html

Steelers' Hampton eager to expand horizons
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, August 3, 2007

The guy whose nickname is "Big Snack" admits that he'd like more chances to feast on quarterbacks this season.

"I would like to play a little more 4-3 (defense), make me some plays," said Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton, who hasn't recorded a sack in the regular season since 2003. "I'll do whatever they ask me to do, but it would be nice to switch it up a little bit."

The biggest impediment to the seven-year veteran playing more 4-3 -- the defense head coach Mike Tomlin learned under mentor Tony Dungy -- is Hampton himself. He is a perfect fit in the 3-4 defense that has become as associated with Pittsburgh as Heinz and Iron City beer, and Hampton has been the quintessential nose tackle since the Steelers took him in the first round of the 2001 NFL Draft.

Squat but powerful, Hampton is harder to move than Enron stock. He occupies multiple blockers on any given play and may be the biggest reason, both literally and figuratively, why the Steelers haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher since November 2005.

Hampton's job of clogging the middle is hardly glamorous, and it can be downright dangerous with offensive linemen coming at him from different angles.

But he has become so good at standing his ground that Hampton been named to three Pro Bowls since 2004. He is such a respected player in his own locker room that defensive end Brett Keisel said Hampton could emerge as the leader on defense now that Joey Porter is gone.

"He is the anchor of our defense, and if he doesn't do his job everything falls apart," Keisel said. "There's no one in the league that I've watched that can take on men like he does. I've said this before: When God built a nose tackle, he built Casey Hampton."

When told what Keisel said, Hampton grinned and quipped, "If he built a short, fat guy, I guess that's what a nose tackle is."

Teammates gravitate toward the 6-foot-1, 325-pounder because of his self-deprecating sense of humor and because he does what is essentially a thankless job (he had just 33 tackles last season) and does it as well as anyone in the game.

While not nearly as vocal as Porter, Hampton said he will dress down a teammate if he thinks that player needs it.

"Everybody knows how I am, so they don't take it the wrong way if I call them out in front of everybody," said Hampton, who got married during the offseason. "I've been doing that since I've been here."

What he hasn't done is get a chance to rush the quarterback much.

Hampton, who turns 30 in early September, has just five career sacks.

Interior linemen get much more of an opportunity to rush the passer in a 4-3 defense, but there is a question of whether a player who has become so valuable because he is all but immovable can move well enough to get after the quarterback.

"In a 4-3, he'd be a demon," Steelers assistant head coach and defensive line coach John Mitchell said. "He has the speed to get up the field."

Now, he just wants to use it a little.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038
Default Re: Steelers' Hampton eager to expand horizons

Hampton is a great player who really plays a huge role as a big 'old brick for that d-line....althought i gotta say the sound of running a 4-3 stays unappetizing to me. the steelers have made a name for themselves in being linebacker-heavy....shit,we just drafted back-to-back linebackers this year!! if we move to a 4-3 we just drafted pretty dumb....
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote