Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Steelers vs. Packers Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
One down...four to go till opening day....Can't go fast enough.
Your telling me brother. I can't sleep tonight. I still have to wait until 3:30 tomorrow afternoon to leave my house for a preseason game. I'm pumped to see Tomlin in action during his first home game as the Steelers HC.

After Saturday's game, fast forwarding to September 9 would be nice.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 PM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
12-15 snaps sounds about right for having five preseason games this year. Obviously, Roethlisberger will still have three more preseason games to go after Saturday's. The further along we go, the more snaps I would expect and like to see him have.
I could see him getting a lot of snaps against Philadelphia. Considering the fact that without the HOF game it would be considered that "3rd preseason game:

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
Your telling me brother. I can't sleep tonight. I still have to wait until 3:30 tomorrow afternoon to leave my house for a preseason game. I'm pumped to see Tomlin in action during his first game as the Steelers HC.

After Saturday's game, fast forwarding to September 9 would be nice.
I still have to get through my own training camp starting Sunday.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I still have to get through my own training camp starting Sunday.
And I hate preseason games. With the way the weather has been in this city over the last week, I'm just praying for nice weather. I already had to cancel my vacation back in May and now I have to hold off because Steeler season has started up. It was either leave for vacation during preseason and sell my tickets or stay and attend the preseason games. I chose the Steelers.

My luck, it will rain tomorrow and on August 26.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #15
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I was supposed to go.

I forgot that I told my parents, girl, and little cousins that I would go to Idlewild.

You know what? In all fairness... the Steelers were here before all of them...

Those going,
Have fun and be safe.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #16
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Quote:
And I hate preseason games. With the way the weather has been in this city over the last week, I'm just praying for nice weather. I already had to cancel my vacation back in May and now I have to hold off because Steeler season has started up. It was either leave for vacation during preseason and sell my tickets or stay and attend the preseason games. I chose the Steelers.

My luck, it will rain tomorrow and on August 26.
If I'm lucky, it won't be humid next week. Hopefully it stays clear for you.

Just about 20 Hours till Kickoff now! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Construction in Pittsburgh!?!?!?! NEVER!!!!

Steeler fans .. if you go to the game
Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If you go ...

Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m., and fans are encouraged to arrive early to allow enough time to pass through stadium security. All fans entering Heinz Field will be subject to full pat downs. The Coca-Cola Great Hall and the South Plaza (Gates A and B) will open at 4:30 p.m. Gate C (access to the seating bowl, club lounges and suites) will open at 5:30 p.m.

Coolers, bags, backpacks and large purses (larger than 8 1/2 by 11) will be prohibited. Small purses, fanny packs, small camera cases and binocular cases and diaper bags will be permitted. All bags are subject to inspection. All bags that do not pass security must be returned to vehicles. In addition, Thermoses will not be permitted in the stadium.

The Steelers and Heinz Field management are warning fans to watch out for counterfeit tickets when attempting to make a purchase from scalpers. A number of counterfeit tickets have been sold outside of recent local college and professional sporting events.

Fans should utilize parking areas in the Golden Triangle, Station Square or one of the Port Authority's regional Park and Ride Lots. For $5, Golden Triangle parking is available at eight Pittsburgh Parking Authority Garages, the Mon Wharf and the Convention Center. The Fifth Avenue Place garage also provides parking for $5.

From Downtown parking lots, fans can access Heinz Field via sidewalks on the Roberto Clemente Bridge as well as the Port Authority shuttle buses from the First Avenue Garage and Strip District.

The Fort Duquesne Bridge walk is closed because of Point Park construction.

Reserve, pre-sold parking lots around the stadium open at 2:30 p.m. Tailgating is permitted in the pre-sold lots surrounding the stadium. Reedsdale Street eastbound, via the West End Bridge, will be opened for the game providing access to pre-sold Gold Lot 1, Red 5 Garage and Red 7 Lots.

Port Authority shuttle buses from First Ave. (98F) and the Strip District (98D) will operate two hours before kickoff and 45 minutes after the game. Fares are $1.25 (from Golden Triangle to Heinz Field) or $1.75 one way. Stops include Liberty Avenue across from the Wood Street "T" Station, Liberty Avenue at Heinz Hall and Sixth Avenue at Fort Duquesne Blvd.

Fans from the east are reminded that I-376 is closed inbound. Fans are advised to allow extra time to use one of the PennDOT recommended detours. Stanwix Street also is closed due to construction.

Fans exiting lots Gold 1 and 1A heading North on I-279 and Route 28 are advised that Reedsdale Street eastbound is now closed at Tony Dorsett Drive.

Police will operate three lanes of the West End Bridge southbound for vehicles exiting the game. Fans exiting east to I-376 should use the left lane (third lane from the right). Fans exiting to Route 50 via Route 60 should also use the left lane. Fans exiting south to I-279 and routes 51 and 19 should use the right lanes.

After the game, Allegheny Avenue will be northbound only, from Reedsdale Street to Ridge Avenue, with the right lane leading to the Ft. Duquesne Bridge only. The right curb lane of General Robinson Street eastbound from Mazeroski Way to Federal Street, will be for buses only.

Fans exiting to East I-376 from the Golden Triangle are directed to the Boulevard of the Allies entrance heading eastbound toward Oakland.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07223/808752-66.stm

Also.....

This is going to be a freakin' blast......lol.

Steeler parking, traffic could be trouble
By Rob Amen
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Fans might have to call an audible on where to tailgate before the Steelers game tonight.

At least they might have to make like Willie Parker -- juking to avoid road and parking lot closures associated with construction of the North Shore Connector.

The Steelers play the Green Bay Packers at 7:30 p.m. at Heinz Field, meaning 65,000 rabid -- and not always patient -- fans will be trolling the North Shore for parking and parties amid the rubble of the future light-rail subway.

Port Authority of Allegheny County is in the hole, so to speak.

Since the Steelers last played here, Port Authority's contractors dug massive holes in the North Shore to drop a tunnel-boring machine into the ground. The agency closed both eastbound lanes of Reedsdale Street in early March and eliminated 600 parking spots -- prime tailgating territory. It closed Tony Dorsett Drive in June.

The agency hoped to reopen the roads in time for football season. But a day before the game, a huge hole remained under the base of the Fort Duquesne Bridge.

Port Authority plans to plate over Reedsdale and temporarily open one eastbound lane from Art Rooney Avenue to Tony Dorsett Drive by 9 a.m. today, said Carmen Bray, a Port Authority spokeswoman. It will do the same for the team's Aug. 26 preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Tony Dorsett Drive will temporarily reopen to both motorists and pedestrians for the preseason games, Bray said.

No pedestrian access will be available along Reedsdale Street.

Parking lots open at 2:30 p.m.

"We've been saying it will be August, late August, early September," Bray said of the timetable to reopen the North Shore roads. "Construction is going on. It's a little bit of an inconvenience.

"We haven't had any questions or problems with pedestrian movement with the Pirates and PNC Park. We don't anticipate problems with the Steelers games."

Still, restrictions remain.

West General Robinson Street between Mazeroski Way and Tony Dorsett Drive is reduced to one lane in each direction, and the sidewalk is in the street.

Heinz Field officials were fighting this week with Point State Park contractors to open access to the Fort Duquesne Bridge pedestrian walkway, which has been closed because of construction at the Point. The walkway will remain closed today.

Between 5,000 and 6,000 fans who park Downtown use the bridge to get to the stadium, said Jimmy Sacco, executive director of stadium management.

Stadium officials hope to reach an agreement with contractors in time for the Aug. 26 game.

"The alternate route would be to walk to the Clemente Bridge," said Rob Thompson, event-operations coordinator at the Heinz Field. "It's not short. But at this point, we don't have a lot of alternatives."

Port Authority will reopen the North Shore roads permanently by early September, Bray said. The Steelers' first regular-season home game is Sept. 16.

"We won't have any problems the rest of the season," Bray said.

Because of the construction of the North Shore Connector, Alco Parking lost about 600 parking spaces near the stadium. Alco Parking President Merrill Stabile said Friday that Alco lots will not accept recreational vehicles or any vehicle that takes up more than one spot because of the parking crunch.

Pittsburgh police will have 10 officers on street corners around Heinz Field beginning about 2:30 p.m. to direct traffic and 20 officers doing the same after the game, said city police Cmdr. Scott Schubert.

Two bicycle officers will roam the area before and after the game, Schubert said.

The Steelers hired 18 off-duty police officers for before the game and 27 for afterward, Thompson said. The team will pay the city the officers' salaries plus $3.85 an hour per off-duty officer hired, based on an ordinance the city adopted in April.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_521679.html
Old 08-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #18
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

I actually went down to Pittsburgh the weekend of a Pirates game and had to get re-directed to the parking garages because of Stanwix street construction.

Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 AM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Welcome, Tomlin -- and welcome back, McCarthy
By The Associated Press

Mike Tomlin admittedly will be excited to stand on the Heinz Field sideline for the first time as an NFL head coach Saturday night. The coach on the other side of the field may feel much the same way.

While the Packers-Steelers exhibition game will serve as Tomlin's home-field debut -- though his for-real introduction will come Sept. 16 against Buffalo -- Mike McCarthy will be similarly thrilled to be coaching in Pittsburgh.

McCarthy, the Packers' second-year coach, grew up in the city. In his youth, he worked in his family's tavern near a steel mill and, later, as a toll collector on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. His dad was a firefighter and a police officer.

So, while it will be Tomlin's night as the city welcomes only the third Steelers coach in 38 years, McCarthy will have some hometown fans cheering him on, too.

Since it's the preseason and not a game that counts, perhaps both coaches can focus for a minute or two on enjoying the moment, as well as getting as much work as possible for their players.

"The biggest distraction is all the requests of all my friends," McCarthy said. "It's been great. A lot of my friends have already got tickets so I appreciate that. I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure it's something that I'll always remember."

Since being hired as Bill Cowher's replacement seven months ago, Tomlin has come to appreciate Pittsburgh's passion for the Steelers. He is reminded of it any time he ventures into the public, and by the large crowds the team attracts at its Latrobe training camp one hour east of the city.

But, until now, Tomlin has never stepped foot on Heinz Field with his team behind him. If nothing else, the game will allow him to get comfortable in the stadium where, until now, only Cowher coached the Steelers.

"It has to be another game, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it and enjoy it. But I can't let it get in the way of doing my job," Tomlin said.

Because the Steelers are playing five exhibition games -- they started the NFL's preseason by beating New Orleans 20-7 in the Hall of Fame game Sunday night -- Tomlin has an extra weekend to evaluate talent and to get his starters enough playing time to keep them sharp.

That means quarterback Ben Roethlisberger may play a couple of series rather than the single series he ran with such efficiency Sunday, needing only six plays to direct an 80-yard touchdown drive highlighted by a 55-yard completion to Cedrick Wilson.

It was only one drive, but it served to illustrate how efficient Roethlisberger has been since camp opened July 23. He was nearly flawless in running the two-minute drill in practice Wednesday, and he has looked much sharper than he did at any point in last year's training camp.

Then, only a few weeks after being seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, he was the daily focus of a disrupted camp and never seemed to fully relax.

"Comfort wise, yeah, I feel more comfortable in this camp than in any of them so far," Roethlisberger said. "I feel like I can talk to them (his receivers) a lot easier. If you see a receiver throwing his hands up down the field, I can kind of let him have it now."

His receivers have noticed how relaxed and in control Roethlisberger has been, too, in contrast to his distraction-filled season of a year ago in which he underwent an appendectomy the week of the season opener. He went on to throw an NFL-worst 23 interceptions as Pittsburgh went 8-8, the same record as Green Bay.

"Ben's been looking a lot better than he was last year, he's been looking great," Nate Washington said.

McCarthy hasn't said how long quarterback Brett Favre will play in what, curiously enough, is Favre's Heinz Field debut. The Packers have never played a regular season or exhibition game there since the stadium opened in 2001. Favre has played only one regular-season game in Pittsburgh during his 17-season career, a 27-20 Packers loss in 1998.

"You have to be smart," McCarthy said. "I'm not interested in exposing Brett Favre. You have to find a common ground. There are some new faces that he needs to work with but I need to get Aaron Rodgers as much work as possible."

As they did last weekend, the Steelers probably will give No. 3 quarterback Brian St. Pierre and No. 4 Bryan Randall much of the work. Najeh Davenport will open at running back with Willie Parker (knee) sitting out for a second game in a row.

Green Bay's running game has been McCarthy's primary concern during camp. Projected starter Vernand Morency remains out with a knee injury, so second-round pick Brandon Jackson figures to get a lot of work in the Packers' preseason debut.

"That's a pretty tall order, even if you're a second-round pick, which Brandon is, to come in and all of a sudden you're running with the big boys right away," general manager Ted Thompson said. "But I think he's doing OK."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_521653.html
Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #20
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I actually went down to Pittsburgh the weekend of a Pirates game and had to get re-directed to the parking garages because of Stanwix street construction.
No matter what time of year, no matter where you go......there's always road construction. Yet I hit more potholes in this city than I would if I were driving on the Gaza strip.