Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default "I'm mad Tuesday" camp day ?

'I'm mad Tuesday' a big hit
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com
LATROBE, Pa. ? Using Coach Mike Tomlin's own words, he didn't want the Steelers to ooze to the end of training camp. James Harrison did his part on Tuesday afternoon to see that it doesn't happen.

Following a morning special team practice that Tomlin described as "razor-sharp," the Steelers took the field in the afternoon for a workout that had a nice tempo, was hard-hitting and loaded with the kind of chatter that keeps the competitive juices flowing.

During another round of backs-on-backers, Harrison was matched up against Verron Haynes three different times. Twice Harrison bull-rushed Haynes and ran him over with collisions that echoed off the hills surrounding the practice fields. On the third, Harrison spun away to tag the imaginary quarterback.

While the popping of the pads makes for great viewing for the assembled fans, bull-rushing is technically a violation of the unwritten rules of backs-on-backers.

The linebacker gets to build up speed with a 5-yard sprint at the running back, and if this very situation would occur in a game one of the best weapons in the running back's arsenal would be to chop the on-rushing linebacker at the knees. But since this is training camp and everybody is on the same team, chopping at the knees is forbidden, and so the gentleman's agreement corollary to this is that then so is bull-rushing not allowed.

Harrison wasn't particularly interested in abiding by any so-called unwritten rules, and after practice he explained why to a group of reporters.

Harrison admitted that he bull-rushed Haynes, and then when asked if that wasn't against the rules, Harrison's answer was no. Why not? "Because it's 'I'm mad Tuesday,'" said Harrison.

Tomlin was asked for a more detailed explanation.

"Tell-'em-why-you're-mad-Tuesday, I think is what they called today," said Tomlin, who was pleased with how practice went, no matter what it was being labeled. "We had a great day today. We had a special teams practice this morning that I thought was razor sharp. We came out and competed and had a high energy practice this afternoon."

But why name the day?

"Who knows. It's Tuesday, it's the dog days of summer, whatever gets them through," said Tomlin. "I don't mind the chatter as long as they're working while they're talking. It's like elevator music to me ? I hear it but I don't."

What he had to hear were the pads popping, and while it's difficult to quantify and there are no statistics to support the contention, this camp is ending in a much more spirited manner than the 2006 version under Bill Cowher.

"I'm thoroughly enjoying this," said Tomlin about training camp as a whole. "I might be in the minority with respect to that, but it's been productive. The guys are competing, we're getting better. It's a process, and guys are respecting the process. They're showing mental toughness, they're focusing on the details. That's what has made it good for me."

And there is a lot of what Tomlin has called "ebb and flow," by which he means there are times when the offense does things to the defense, and just as many times when the defense does things to the offense.

An example is the past two days of the one-on-one pass-rushing drills. On Monday, LaMarr Woodley beat Willie Colon twice, before Colon horse-collared Woodley to the ground on the third repetition. Arnold Harrison got the better of Max Starks, who was lining up at left tackle, a couple of times before Starks clubbed Harrison to the ground on the third one.

On Tuesday, the offensive linemen controlled the drill throughout. Alan Faneca, Starks, Colon and Marvin Philip were just a few of the offensive players who handled their assignments well enough to "win" the drill.

But as everybody is learning here, tomorrow is another day. Maybe it'll be "Why we're mad Wednesday."

INJURY REPORT: Marvel Smith (back), Chukky Okobi (back), Chris Hoke (knee) and Derrick Jones (calf) did not practice. Jerame Tuman (back) returned. During the session Anthony Smith sustained a "minor injury that was abdominal related. Hopefully it won't be anything major and that's the indication we have right now," said Tomlin.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: "I'm mad Tuesday" camp day ?

Any similarity to the "We Suck Sundays" the Bengals have on a weekly basis throughout the regular season?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Any similarity to the "We Suck Sundays" the Bengals have on a weekly basis throughout the regular season?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Too much paperwork on Sunday for the Bengals, I'm afraid...

I see Haynes is doing a great job in his third down back role. Blocking, Verron. Crucial.

I'll be so pissed if he makes this team over someone more deserving... Russell, maybe.

His averages aren't bad, but I feel like that's more of a tribute to his role as a third down back. Defenses are usually alright giving up a 6 yard gain on third down when the O needs 13. Bend, but don't break.

I need to see more of Haynes in the preseason. "Knowing the system" isn't going to fly this year when it comes to landing a spot on the active roster.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
'I'm mad Tuesday' a big hit
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

What he had to hear were the pads popping, and while it's difficult to quantify and there are no statistics to support the contention, this camp is ending in a much more spirited manner than the 2006 version under Bill Cowher.

"I'm thoroughly enjoying this," said Tomlin about training camp as a whole. "I might be in the minority with respect to that, but it's been productive. The guys are competing, we're getting better. It's a process, and guys are respecting the process. They're showing mental toughness, they're focusing on the details. That's what has made it good for me."

Of course with regard to camp being more spirited than last year, the 2006 camp was so low key all that was missing was afternoon nap time.

Definitely a better vibe so far to this pre-season as compared to the torpor of 2006.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts

Quote:
whatever gets them through," said Tomlin. "I don't mind the chatter as long as they're working while they're talking. It's like elevator music to me – I hear it but I don't."
music to my ears. tomlin is definitely the least of my worries going into this season (well, coaching and ownership). kinda refreshing after the coaching questions going into last season.

its up to the players to respond and they seem to be doing that.

i love harrisons attitude. very much suited to replace that of porter.

Quote:
the 2006 camp was so low key all that was missing was afternoon nap time
- classic!