Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-12-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default Removal of the Fullback Position!!!!!!

When I first read that the Steelrs were going to three and four reciever sets on first down I thought it was a good idea. But when I read that they were on there way to phasing out the fullback position I have to wander, is that a good decision for Willie.

I believe Willie is the type of back that thrives in a two back system (1400-1700yrds). But is only a good/decent back in a single back offense (1000-1200yrds). Even L.T. in San Diego has a fullback, Lorenzo Neal, and if you here him speak he would not be as good without him. I believe Neal and Krieder are the best at thier position and to remove Dan may be a mistake.

MY TAKE: Bettis in a single back offense, when he got hit at the line of scrimage he would still gain three to four yards after first hit/contact. We've all seen Willie get hit and yes he is very strong for his size and will break some tackles. But he is not THe BUS or Larry Johnson. Even though he may gain some yards after first hit/contact his body will take the toll. Also if he gets hit straight up he may not gain a yard. That means 2nd and 10 or 3rd and 10

I agree with going to three and four reiever set on first down at times. But going to single back offense full time I believe to be a mistake, I hope I'm wrong.

Bruce dont get carried away with the need to air it out. We just one a superbowl with this offense. The reason our
play-action is the best in the game is because Willie could hit the corner for 80 yards on any play.

GO STEELERS!!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Re: Removal of the Fullback Position!!!!!!

Lt doesn't always use Neal.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509
Default Re: Fullback spot going, going, not quite gone

knowing dan kreider on a personal level, he's a great guy. i would love to see him stay two more years, and i hope that's not wishful thinking. i don't see him going to another team. i think he plans ahead, has a house near me and on in the burgh, has young children ready to start school... i don't see him looking for another team.

the nfl is a business after all, and they could cut him after this year. but that would be a sad day.

i hope he sees a chance to get another ring. it's not out of the question.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Someone mentioned the Steelers are going to go to a Chargers-like system for running, and if that's the case, the FB position isn't going anywhere.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Fullback spot going, going, not quite gone
Saturday, August 11, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have Troy Polamalu, who acts at times like a Tasmanian Devil. And they have Dan Kreider, who looks more and more like a Tasmanian wolf.

The Tasmanian wolf -- not really a wolf, by the way -- has been thought to be extinct for half a century. Still, there have been reported, but unconfirmed sightings, which closely describes the fullback position in the Steelers' offense.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07223/808742-66.stm
The animal in question is actually a Tasmanian Tiger. The last known Tasmanian Tiger unfortunately died in 1936. In 1986 it was officially listed as extinct. Rumours abounded about sightings of this once regal animal.

http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...es/BHAN-53777B

It took Australians 50 years to come to the realisation that our STRIPED animal had disappeared for ever.

Quote:
The thylacine was shy and secretive and always avoided contact with humans. Despite its common name, 'tiger' it had a quiet, nervous temperament compared to its little cousin, the Tasmanian devil. Captured animals generally gave up without a struggle, and many died suddenly, apparently from shock
Incredible how this story has a greater correlation to the Bengals rather than Kreider. The striped cats are often rumoured to have been sighted but they quickly disappear without a trace. The quote regarding how striped animals cope with captivity is also not very encouraging.

How much longer before they will be officially be declared extinct by the NFL???

I think Kreiders prospects are a lot more promising. A steelers running game without a fullback just doesnt seem possible to me.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
Zeb
Water Boy

Member Number: 6307

One day when they get some smarts again and get back to how football is supposed to be played, some new, bright coach with an appreciation for the wisdom of the basics will incorporate a running, pounding fullback into the game again. If Tomlin refuses to utilize this, it's gonna hurt him and the team.

He's got a great running fullback, Kreider, but a lot of people have abandoned fottball's roots and have forsaken what got them there.

Parker's a great halfback, but it gets boring watching them use him too much, though, when he runs into the line and falls down over and over again when he's just too winded and tired sometimes. They need to use a pounder in these instances, but Cowher didn't seem to be able to figure this out last year. Parker's a great halfback, but he can't carry the run game alone.

Kreider averaged the most yards per carry for the past couple of years from the few times he ran with the ball, but apparently Cowher didn't pay too much attention to statistics. He's also the same height and weight as Bettis, and the guy can run with the ball, and he did damn well running in high school and college.

They need to mix it up more in the running game and let a fullback run with the ball more, IMO. They also have Kuhn now, too, and he's a big boy and he could be a pounder as well.
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #17
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

I too am proud of Kreider and his servant 'tude. No whining. Just does the job. I too would like to see him get the ball more.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 AM   #18
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless Steel View Post
I too am proud of Kreider and his servant 'tude. No whining. Just does the job. I too would like to see him get the ball more.
Hmmmm... I wonder if Kreider can play Left Guard?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote