Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Holmes working with first-team offense

Holmes working with Steelers' first-team offense
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 15, 2007

WR Santonio Holmes ran with the first-team offense, opposite WR Hines Ward, for the first time in training camp on Tuesday. Holmes has been listed as a first-teamer since the camp-opening depth chart was released, but he has been playing behind WR Cedrick Wilson after not making it onto the field until July 28 due to a non-football related surgical procedure.

Block that kick: The Steelers worked on blocking place kicks a day after honing their place-kick protection, but this time the drill wasn't live. The block team consisted of CB Ike Taylor, DE Aaron Smith, NT Casey Hampton, DE Brett Keisel, LB James Harrison, FS Ryan Clark, CB Deshea Townsend, SS Troy Polamalu, LB Clark Haggans, LB James Farrior and LB Larry Foote.

Backs-on-'backers: The latest installment of the infamous one-one-one, blitz pick-up drill featured four confrontations between Harrison and RB Verron Haynes, the unofficial heavyweight champs of the exercise for their respective units.
Harrison flattened Haynes twice on bull rushes, which are supposed to be out of bounds in the drill since the running backs aren't allowed to cut-block the linebackers.

Haynes stood his ground and stood Harrison up in between being run over.

Harrison eluded Haynes with a swim move on their fourth battle.

Call it what you will: Harrison was asked why he resorted to bull rushes against Haynes, even though he wasn't supposed to in Backs-on-'Backers.

"It's 'I'm Mad Tuesday,' " Harrison said.

So what was he mad about?

"Can't tell you," Harrison said. "I'm not mad anymore. Practice is over."

QB Charlie Batch said the actual theme of the day was "Tell It Like It Is Tuesday."

"Tell Them Why Your Mad Tuesday, I think, is what they called it," head coach Mike Tomlin said.

His players apparently expressed various reasons for that throughout practice, but Tomlin wasn't paying attention.

"I don't mind the chatter, as long as they're working while they're talking," Tomlin said. "It's kind of elevator music to me, I hear it but I don't."

The more you can do: TE Jerame Tuman (back) returned to practice and practiced long-snapping after practice.

Picked off: QB Ben Roethlisberger was intercepted by CB Jovon Johnson during 11-on-11 work. Roethlisberger had been picked off by CB Bryan McFadden in a passing drill on Monday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522184.html
Old 08-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Holmes working with first-team offense

Also per the trib....

Steelers' Roethlisberger hits hand during practice
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ben Roethlisberger hit his hand on a helmet while throwing during an 11-on-11 passing drill Tuesday afternoon, but the quarterback is fine, coach Mike Tomlin said.

"Don't believe everything you hear," Tomlin said when asked if Roethlisberger had gotten his throwing hand examined by doctors. "Everything's good on this end."

Roethlisberger was seen eating dinner at the cafeteria at St. Vincent College after practice Tuesday afternoon and there didn't appear to be any problems with his hand.

• Free safety Anthony Smith hurt his abdomen yesterday but the injury does not appear to be serious. Tomlin said he that Smith probably won't miss Saturday's exhibition game against the Washington Redskins but, he added, "I'm not a doctor." Offensive tackle Marvel Smith (back), center Chukky Okobi (ribs) and nose tackle Chris Hoke (knee) didn't practice yesterday.

• Outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons practiced again yesterday, though Tomlin didn't say much he'll play Saturday night if the Steelers' first-round pick plays at all.
"We're going to march him back," Tomlin said, "probably not as quickly as he or I would like but we're dealing with it."

• Tomlin said he would like to carry three quarterbacks on the Steelers' 53-man roster during the regular season. That doesn't mean that Brian St. Pierre will make the team even though he appears to be the clear-cut No. 3 quarterback behind Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch.

• Tomlin is continuing the training camp tradition of "movie day." The Steelers will go to the movies this morning instead of practicing from 9:30 to 11 a.m. as had been scheduled. They will practice in the afternoon from 2:55 to 5 p.m.

Digits

146 -
Receiving yards by Santonio Holmes, which is tied for first in the NFL.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522183.html
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Interesting stuff.

Do post the first time Timmons has a full practice!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Could some explain those 1-on-1 drills please?

Im trying to read it, but its difficult to picture - maybe its just me but it seems poorly written(?)

What was Harrison supposed to be doing instead of 'bullrushing' Haynes?

Thanks.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038

...Is there a reason he isn't listed as the "DUH" #2 WR regarless of his injury??? I think Holmes's rookie year stats were better than Wilsons previous 2-3 combined....

If Cedrick Wilson starts over Santonio Holmes, I will seriously question the coaching staff's ability to put the best player on the field. A. Smith and McFadden got me as is, but you throw Holmes in there and my patience swindles....
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Could some explain those 1-on-1 drills please?

Im trying to read it, but its difficult to picture - maybe its just me but it seems poorly written(?)

What was Harrison supposed to be doing instead of 'bullrushing' Haynes?

Thanks.
A linebacker lines up one on one against a running back.

The Linebacker is trying to reach the fictitious QB by getting by the RB who is protecting the same pretend QB.

Generally, the Linebacker is to use evasive maneuvers, i.e. swim moves, to beat the back. The RB is trying to keep the linebacker at bay by using traditional "hands inside the pads" blocking.

The idea is to build on fundamentals... 9 times out of ten Harrison can bull into Haynes and take him out. Tomlin knows Harrison is a beast and putting a guy in physical danger to prove is just a bad idea.

Same reason RBs can't chop. I'm sure 9 times out of ten Haynes diving into Harrison's legs is going to result in an effective "stop," but all that proves is Harrison is going to blow out a knee by Friday.

Bullrushes and Chop Blocks are very effective in game situations, but using them in these drills increases the chance of an injury and doesn't build on fundamentals.