Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #171
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Offical 2006-2007 National Hockey League Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I'm surprised Souray is still on the market.
He signed with Edmonton.

As for the Isles signing Sutton, I guarantee you that he will cause at least one brawl this season. He's a major cheap shot artist who is known for headhunting. In fact, he was the focal point in the last 2 brawls the Thrashers were involved in - last season vs. the Caps (below) and in 05-06 vs. the Leafs after he laid out Darcy Tucker with an elbow to the head against the glass. That said, I still wouldn't have minded having him and his physical presence on the Pens.

[YOUTUBE]ak1DIzvD3eE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by X-Terminator; 08-14-2007 at 01:09 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:55 AM   #172
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

You know...

Sadly, I am SO out of hockey (watching game by game), that I only recognize a few names on that list.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #173
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Former NHL star to be sentenced for running sports gambling ring
By The Associated Press
Friday, August 17, 2007

TRENTON, N.J. - Rick Tocchet will likely walk away without jail time when he's sentenced for running an illegal sports gambling ring, despite international headlines linking the case to professional hockey's biggest star.

Tocchet, who was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for Mark Recchi in 1992 and helped the Penguins repeat as Stanley Cup champions, could get up to five years in state prison Friday for promoting gambling and conspiracy, charges to which he pleaded guilty in May.

However, there is a presumption against incarceration for first-time offenders who plead guilty to third- or fourth-degree crimes, which means the retired Philadelphia Flyer is unlikely to serve any time for his crimes, said Rachel Goemaat, a spokeswoman for the New Jersey Attorney General's Office, which prosecuted the case.

Under terms of Tocchet's plea deal, the state made no sentencing recommendation, leaving it to the discretion of the court. Tocchet was due to appear at 9 a.m. Friday before Burlington County Superior Court Judge Thomas S. Smith Jr. in Mount Holly.

An assistant coach with the Phoenix Coyotes under Wayne Gretzky, Tocchet partnered with a New Jersey state trooper and another man in a sports betting venture they ran for five years. He was placed on indefinite leave from his job after he was charged.

James Harney, the trooper who has since been forced to give up his badge, was sentenced earlier this month to five years in prison. The other man, James Ulmer, has not yet been sentenced.

The case became one of the biggest stories in hockey back in February 2006, when the men were charged, because authorities said several of the bettors were people connected to the game. The only name that was ever revealed among them was Janet Jones Gretzky, the wife of legend Wayne Gretzky, and authorities said early on that neither she nor other bettors would be charged.

The case remained international news throughout the 2006 winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, where Gretzky coached team Canada.

In the investigation that followed, authorities and hockey officials have said there's no evidence of betting on hockey.

However, the betting was heavy on other sports. In the 40 days that led up to the charges, the ring handled $1.7 million in bets, including college football bowl games and the Super Bowl.

The business was lucrative for Harney while it lasted. When he was arrested, police took 32 watches and nine televisions from his home, and he forfeited his home, his interest in his wife's home and cash.

Harney met Tocchet in the 1990s, when Tocchet was playing for the Philadelphia Flyers and Harney tended bar at a hotel frequented by athletes. After retiring in 2002, Tocchet became Gretzky's top assistant coach with the Coyotes.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_522695.html
Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #174
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You know...

Sadly, I am SO out of hockey (watching game by game), that I only recognize a few names on that list.
It's understandable Preacher. A good number of people lost interest in hockey when it started resembling MLB. I stuck through it because I love the game, but I can understand why many were turned off by the way the league was managed and the by the players strike.

The problem now for the NHL in the USA......finding a respectable station to put the games on. VERSUS already dropped the ball on a few occasions when it came to coverage and not everybody in the country has VERSUS. That doesn't help.

The sad part IMO, it's a great sport now that there is a cap (thank you Bettman) and a few new rule changes. Also, the ego's, legal problems and all the other B.S. that tend to follow other athletes in other sports doesn't really exist in hockey. It's a refreshing break.

You should try giving it a chance again this season Preacher. If you get VERSUS, we will be on eight times this year. Nice to see the NHL marketing the best player in the world. They are at least getting that part right.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:32 AM   #175
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

U.S Hall of Fame to induct Vanbiesbrouck, Broten, Carpenter, MacInnes
Associated Press
Updated: August 15, 2007, 4:27 PM ET

DENVER -- NHL standouts Aaron Broten, Bobby Carpenter and John Vanbiesbrouck and former Michigan Tech coach John MacInnes will be inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in October.

USA Hockey announced this year's inductees on Wednesday. The induction ceremony will be Oct. 12 in Grand Forks, N.D.

Broten spent 12 years in the NHL after playing two years at Minnesota, where he still holds the single-season points record (106 in 1980-81). Broten competed at five world championships, two Canada Cups and one world junior championship.

His brother, Neal, is already in the hall.

Carpenter was the first player to jump from high school to the NHL and in 1984-85 became the first American-born NHL player to score 50 goals in a season. He spent 19 seasons in the league.

He played in two Stanley Cup finals and was a member of the New Jersey Devils when they won the Cup in 1995. He was an assistant coach with the Devils when they won the Cup in 2000 and 2003.

Vanbiesbrouck, the all-time winningest American-born goalkeeper, played 20 seasons in the NHL. He is also the longest-tenured American goalie in league history.

He won the Vezina Trophy in 1986 and was runner-up eight years later. He played in three All-Star games and helped lead the Florida Panthers to a Stanley Cup run during the 1995-96 season, the Panthers' third year of existence.

"It's really a humbling time to get something and be acknowledged like this," Vanbiesbrouck said. "I think it's defined by grace, because grace is defined by getting something you don't deserve."

MacInnes, who died in 1983, led the Huskies to three national championships and was twice named NCAA coach of the year.

He played two seasons at Michigan and spent three years in the Detroit Red Wings system in the late 1940s. He directed an amateur hockey league in Ann Arbor, Mich., before coaching at Michigan Tech.

"I had given up that this would ever happen," said his widow, Jerry MacInnes. "Now that it has, my family and I are very pleased that this honor has been given to John."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2976185
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #176
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Roenick Retires: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=212745&hubname=nhl

I've always liked Roenick. A little ****y, but never a cancer, great personality, always joking around and a pretty damn good hockey player. Enjoy retirement!
Well, scratch that....

Roenick signs with Sharks: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3004009
Old 11-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #177
BOXCAR JOEY
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 3729

Devils prudential arena.

As a local devils fan. i was very impressed with " the rock". It stinks that i cant tail gate for a devils game anymore, but drinking a bottle of schnapps on the train ride over to the arena was nice. the seats in the arena were nice and the overall look of the place is amazingly impressive. I recomend that everyone should go there at least once to bask in the glory of a new arena

WIN OR LOSE.........I still bleed black and gold.
Http://www.Myspace.com/Trappedinemerica
BOXCAR JOEY is offline   Reply With Quote