Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Game Reporter

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #431
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Steelers vs. Redskins Game Day Thread - 8/18/07

The bad:

Wow, first half was ugly. We just looked flat out bad on offense and defense. From Roethlisberger to our secondary. Just ugly. We couldn't get off the field on 3rd downs. Cooley put us on a leash last night and walked us up and down the field. All we needed were a few gimp suits to top it off. Our running game (with Willie Parker back) could not get going at all. The o-line still looks like crap (once again, Tomlin needs to set them now), our blitzes were getting picked up leading to zero pressure on the QB. We were getting beat underneath for two straight quarters time and time again.

In my opinion....

Essex is gone. He came into camp looking out of shape. Capizzi looks better than Essex. Better feet and better leverage. Essex just can't get it done or even take that next step. He doesn't hit anybody. Andre Carter had a field day with him and Essex makes Starks look like a Pro Bowler. Also add Philip to the list of young guys who are not showing up when the opportunity is presented.

Townsend won the starting job last night. Not only because he had a sack or because he's that good (he's average at best IMO), but because McFadden looked that bad. I was hoping McFadden would've stepped up this year because I prefer seeing Townsend play more nickel at this stage in his career, but McFadden wanted his chance with the first team and he didn't show me a damn thing.

Minus picking up a fumble, Colclough has yet to show me anything......going on four years now.

Still waiting to see what James Harrison brings to the table as a every down LB. Not ready to crown him as the second coming of Jack Lambert just yet.

First team was just bad overall with a few exceptions......Holmes, Keisel at times, Sepulveda, kick return defense. That's about it.

The Good:

Haynes looked good, but I still have doubts about him when it comes to injury. Who leads to my next option who looked very good on ST's and in the running game. Carey Davis. He made a HUGE step last night when it comes to making this team. Gary Russell looked good when he came in (ripped off a 8 yard run on his first play after watching Barlow get stuffed time and time again). I love both backs but I think we will keep Davis. If we have luck on our side, Russell will make it through waivers and we can sign him to the PS.

Gay shows up again. He dropped the one INT, but he bounced back and closed out the game for us at the end. He did not let one mistake screw him up for the rest of the game. Also, that was one hell of an INT he made at the end of the game. I think it's very safe to say he made the team and could possibly end up being a nice #5 round steal for the Steelers.

Arnold Harrison made a few plays last night. Stephenson showed some signs of life last night. Pulled and hit a few guys.

Nate Washington held on to the ball. That's always a good thing from your expected #4. It's a step in the right direction. Now let's see if he can do it on a regular basis come 9/9 and beyond.

Timmons did not start. Was used as a rusher, some. The quickness is there, but easily stymied, by some no-name RB nonetheless. The good...it's his first taste.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-19-2007 at 11:41 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #432
WV-SteelerFan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2870

Again, if this is a re-post, my apologies...

The Steeler-Redskin preseason game that was played on 8/18 (Saturday night) is scheduled to be re-aired on 8/19 (Sunday afternoon) at 2:00 on the NFL Network...
Old 08-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #433
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV-SteelerFan View Post
Again, if this is a re-post, my apologies...

The Steeler-Redskin preseason game that was played on 8/18 (Saturday night) is scheduled to be re-aired on 8/19 (Sunday afternoon) at 2:00 on the NFL Network...
If they only air the second half, I'll bother watching.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #434
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,197 Times in 3,492 Posts

good break down 83. it kinda reminded me of the sb where things looked really bad but in the end the starters were able to pull things together while only giving up 10 points.

im really stumped how with a coach like grimm, essex, kemoeatu, philip, and starks development could be so stunted. with so many of these guys recently drafted, more than just colon should prove to be better than a back up at best.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #435
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im really stumped how with a coach like grimm, essex, kemoeatu, philip, and starks development could be so stunted. with so many of these guys recently drafted, more than just colon should prove to be better than a back up at best.
You and me both. Zero developement from all three. While Colon did not have his greatest game last night, at least his name is being thrown around and he looked good in camp. Kemo is no better than Essex. The only thing I saw from him was a fifteen yard penalty after smacking a guy across the head and costing us 15. Stupid. And I saw Philip on his culo more times than not last night.

I don't get it. Heavy drafting for the o-line next year.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:58 AM   #436
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
good break down 83. it kinda reminded me of the sb where things looked really bad but in the end the starters were able to pull things together while only giving up 10 points.

lets not forget okolbi......

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #437
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,197 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
You and me both. Zero developement from all three. While Colon did not have his greatest game last night, at least his name is being thrown around and he looked good in camp. Kemo is no better than Essex. The only thing I saw from him was a fifteen yard penalty after smacking a guy across the head and costing us 15. Stupid. And I saw Philip on his culo more times than not last night.

I don't get it. Heavy drafting for the o-line next year.
i dont know if it was Grimm, or if he was trying to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

with all the money and high draft picks devoted to what was once a dominant offensive line is it possible the f.o. and the scouting dept got a little lax in this area and just drafted names?

players like ross and vincent seemed to have no problem stepping in when their number was called but they were drafted when we were scouting high rounders such as m. smith and simmons.

and it should be noted how much better an o-line will be when mixed with kreider, bruener, and jerome. the bus was definitely more than just a product of his line.

i almost expect us to draft linemen next year exactly how we did linebackers this year. possibly 3 of them (and thats just to potentially replace 3 of our solid starters we may be losing in the next 2 years plus starks)

oh yeah, and okolbi
Old 08-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #438
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

All I want to know........Remember after the 2005 draft when the Steelers said they had Trai Essex rated as a first round talent? What the hell were they smoking? The guy is a bum......

The Oline looks worse then last year.....plus there isn't much talent there.......Especially when Faneca leaves next year and maybe Simmons....The only players that are starter worthy of course Marvel Smith and Willie Colon looks like he can start at the NFL level.......I'm not thrilled with Okobi and he has nagging injuries all the time...How can he hold up for 16 games? So far Sean Mahan hasn't impressed as a center...Hopefully he is a better OG.......

As for Essex, Kemoeatu, Philip and Starks....They should be shot in the head...They just flat out suck.....That leaves Cameron Stephenson,Jason Capizzi, and Darnell Stapleton.....Chances are there isn't any potential Pro Bowlers in those three.....Yes Oline will be a focal point next year....

Really Oline should have been a focal point this past draft but LB was a huge need as well.....Hopefully Tomlin can find the right 5 and stick with it......I think it will be Smith, Faneca,Mahan,Simmons,Colon
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #439
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
All I want to know........Remember after the 2005 draft when the Steelers said they had Trai Essex rated as a first round talent? What the hell were they smoking? The guy is a bum......

The Oline looks worse then last year.....plus there isn't much talent there.......Especially when Faneca leaves next year and maybe Simmons....The only players that are starter worthy of course Marvel Smith and Willie Colon looks like he can start at the NFL level.......I'm not thrilled with Okobi and he has nagging injuries all the time...How can he hold up for 16 games? So far Sean Mahan hasn't impressed as a center...Hopefully he is a better OG.......

As for Essex, Kemoeatu, Philip and Starks....They should be shot in the head...They just flat out suck.....That leaves Cameron Stephenson,Jason Capizzi, and Darnell Stapleton.....Chances are there isn't any potential Pro Bowlers in those three.....Yes Oline will be a focal point next year....

Really Oline should have been a focal point this past draft but LB was a huge need as well.....Hopefully Tomlin can find the right 5 and stick with it......I think it will be Smith, Faneca,Mahan,Simmons,Colon
At least Simmons has been playing better than last year. He is someone we have to resign
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #440
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
At least Simmons has been playing better than last year. He is someone we have to resign
Yea Simmons has played better but who knows if he resigns....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote