Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #21
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
NV STEELERS 723's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Asia
Posts: 1,093
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2572
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
delhess, jerome was trying to sidestep the defender in the hole when he fumbled.

i think there may be something to this theory. remember in the SB highlight dvd after bens controversial td? during the replay and review, theres that sideline clip of polamalu lobbying cowher to let him jump the pile. as he's saying he can do it, cowher is just looking at him crazy as if hes thinking "yeah, whatever troy, now go sit down".

troy can leap tall buildings in a single bound. i dont think its that bad of an idea.
LOL....When the NFL'S best safety has a helmet to helmet injury trying to be a RB ; jumping over a pile...;, I think you'll feel different!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #22
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer
 
yinzer-inseattle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 283
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4779
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Your probably right.

And a player in teh air is ALWAYS more open for injury then when they are on the ground.
Sorry Preach have to disagree. Peyton and Dorsett both big leapers. Not bad in the speed and elusiveness department either. I say Willie should join them: tt03:

When did either of them ever get hurt on a leap?
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
Sorry Preach have to disagree. Peyton and Dorsett both big leapers. Not bad in the speed and elusiveness department either. I say Willie should join them: tt03:

When did either of them ever get hurt on a leap?
When a person is planted on the ground... they have control over their bodies. It is easier to plant, cut, even protect themselves. When they are in the air, they have no control... any hit from a wierd angle will push them askew.. and that is when pulled back muscles, broken wrists, etc. etc. happen.

Look at receivers across the middle... it is almost ALWAYS more violent when the guy is in the air because you simply don't have control of your momentum.

That was one thing we were absolutely taught when I played contact sports... if you think your going to be hit... DONT JUMP!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #24
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter
 
Crushzilla's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The City of Champions
Posts: 2,954
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5106
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Maybe we should take two of those TEs and create a basket toss scenario where we toss the smallest guy on the team, preferably through the uprights...

Would that count as a Field Goal?

Do we even know if Willie has ANY vertical? I think the idea has been for so long that we pound the rock, that the alley-oop never really came up.

That is something that should be considered under the new regime.

I also have to agree with Yinzer.

How many guys get hurt leaping over the pile. I feel like we're all a little gunshy. We have to stop handling these guy's with kid's gloves...
__________________
Mad props to Steel-Bryan for the Bucco sig.
Crushzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:04 AM   #25
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,700
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,037 Posts
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
When a person is planted on the ground... they have control over their bodies. It is easier to plant, cut, even protect themselves. When they are in the air, they have no control... any hit from a wierd angle will push them askew.. and that is when pulled back muscles, broken wrists, etc. etc. happen.

Look at receivers across the middle... it is almost ALWAYS more violent when the guy is in the air because you simply don't have control of your momentum.

That was one thing we were absolutely taught when I played contact sports... if you think your going to be hit... DONT JUMP!
i'd have to say you were taught wrong. if youre hit in the leg and your leg is planted, you run the risk of tearing ligaments, tendons, or breaking bones. if youre hit in the air, the worst you usually get is a bruise cause no body part is planted.

case in point: i think it was tiki barber who was recently interviewed about his longevity and ability to avoid serious injury in his career. he said the one thing he always tried to do before getting hit was hop into the air right before impact so no part of his body (primarilly the legs) was planted into the turf. tiki barber is one who walked away from the game and will continue walking for years to come.

the simple physics of the game say you will absorb less impact to the head and neck if you are hit while flying through the air as opposed to taking the same impact while you are thrusting with your feet on the ground.

its like chopping wood. is the better way to throw it in the air and strike the log with an ax or to place it on the ground and split it?
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,700
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,037 Posts
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post

How many guys get hurt leaping over the pile. I feel like we're all a little gunshy. We have to stop handling these guy's with kid's gloves...
i remember an early 90's MNF game in chicago where emmitt smith scored the game winning td leaping the pile. he was way over the goalline and the bears didnt bother catching him and split like the red sea. he landed on his head and i thought his career was over.

he only went on to break walters rushing record .
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 AM   #27
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i'd have to say you were taught wrong. if youre hit in the leg and your leg is planted, you run the risk of tearing ligaments, tendons, or breaking bones. if youre hit in the air, the worst you usually get is a bruise cause no body part is planted.

case in point: i think it was tiki barber who was recently interviewed about his longevity and ability to avoid serious injury in his career. he said the one thing he always tried to do before getting hit was hop into the air right before impact so no part of his body (primarilly the legs) was planted into the turf. tiki barber is one who walked away from the game and will continue walking for years to come.

the simple physics of the game say you will absorb less impact to the head and neck if you are hit while flying through the air as opposed to taking the same impact while you are thrusting with your feet on the ground.

its like chopping wood. is the better way to throw it in the air and strike the log with an ax or to place it on the ground and split it?
Tone...

I am talking about the body being out of control. When you are in the air... you have NO control of yourself. I understand what your saying, and yes, pull up the foot before you get hit... but when your in the air... you have only gravity and the other guy's momentum to depend on.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:50 AM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 38,700
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,656
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,037 Posts
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Tone...

I am talking about the body being out of control. When you are in the air... you have NO control of yourself. I understand what your saying, and yes, pull up the foot before you get hit... but when your in the air... you have only gravity and the other guy's momentum to depend on.
the others guy's momentum is always an equation in football whether one is on the ground, or several feet above it. this doesnt scare football players, nor should it.

and to bring up a baseball analogy of through the air, there is no way one should run at full speed down the street and jump, and bellyflop onto the pavement (asphalt, or astroturf covered concrete). however, outfielders in 3 rivers and veterans stadium did that on a regular basis diving for fly balls all the time. did they risk injury? yes. were they paid handsomly for that risk? definitely. was that risk looked at as part of the job? of couse. does the desire to win erase all those risks? absolutely.

if i can play full contact football in the park with no pads for sheer love of the game (where the scores of a pick up game dont matter), i kinda expect the same from professionals. sure an emmit smith may get hurt, but a ladainian tomlinson with my heart and desire will come along to replace him.

this is football. it has risks, and now fans want their players to take less of them than paired ice dancers do in the olympic ice skating competition.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 AM   #29
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Pound it into the pile

[quote=tony hipchest;281784]the others guy's momentum is always an equation in football whether one is on the ground, or several feet above it. this doesnt scare football players, nor should it.

and to bring up a baseball analogy of through the air, there is no way one should run at full speed down the street and jump, and bellyflop onto the pavement (asphalt, or astroturf covered concrete). however, outfielders in 3 rivers and veterans stadium did that on a regular basis diving for fly balls all the time. did they risk injury? yes. were they paid handsomly for that risk? definitely. was that risk looked at as part of the job? of couse. does the desire to win erase all those risks? absolutely.

if i can play full contact football in the park with no pads for sheer love of the game (where the scores of a pick up game dont matter), i kinda expect the same from professionals. sure an emmit smith may get hurt, but a ladainian tomlinson with my heart and desire will come along to replace him.

this is football. it has risks, and now fans want their players to take less of them than paired ice dancers do in the olympic ice skating competition.[/quote]


I absolutely agree that they should do what they can... I am not saying don't go into the air.

I am just wondering about what Cowher and the OC was saying... Could it be don't go up... cause it is easier to get hurt... and for the most part... the Steelers didn't have anyone to back Bettis up.

Then again, maybe they didn't want to be responsible for the earthquake when Bettis landed!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts