Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
mental.apparition
Water Boy

Member Number: 5797
Default Re: O-Line still in flux

Tomlin names starters according to Wexell.

Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon
mental.apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental.apparition View Post
Tomlin names starters according to Wexell.

Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon
If this is true, then I'm happy it is Colon
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 PM   #13
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Would that mean Okobi and Starks being cut?
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #14
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Would that mean Okobi and Starks being cut?
It would be too hard to cut Starks...

He has proved to be quite elusive... especially when being rushed...
Old 08-20-2007, 11:43 PM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental.apparition View Post
The only part missing from the SB Champ O line is Hartings. While Jeff was a great Steelers center, his loss does not make the overall grade "weak".

In fact the interior of the line hasn't been bad thus far in the pre season. Granted the tackle shuffle has been uncomfortable to watch as a fan, but throw the 2006 season out the window.

I think Tomlin will decide his starters this week and we'll see them out there next weekend.

Which ever way it goes, shouldn't we wait until Tomlin has a head coaching record before we start the mock drafts for '08?

Seriously. It's pre season for a new head coach. The sky isn't falling yet.
Two things. 1. It wasn't the middle of the line that was weak.. it was the right side that was weak. The RG and RT were HORRIBLE last year. So yes, it was a WEAK line coming into the year. Now, Simmons seems to be doing much better, which just leaves Starks. If Colon takes care of Starks, I am comfortable with the line, provided that Mahan steps up... or Okobi. However, I am NOT comfortable with our back ups. I was hoping for Kemo to step up, but have been disappointed.

However, we ABSOLUTELY need help on the Oline... at least in the backups. Our WR's seem to be coming along. Our RB's seems decent enough. So once again, we are looking at Oline. Even if we go 16-0 and take the SB with 40 points to spare... We STILL need depth at the O-line. Fanaca is gone, and we have NO replacement after this year.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #16
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushzilla View Post
It would be too hard to cut Starks...

He has proved to be quite elusive... especially when being rushed...

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #17
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I could see Okobi being cut but not Starks. I've lost faith in Stark's ability to become a above average OT, but he would still be the best backup OT they had on the roster. I also think there is a chance they might keep both Okobi and Mahan, since neither of them have really outshown the other to this point.

Here is what I am thinking now for the O'line:

Starters: Smith, Faneca, Mahan, Simmons, Colon

4 backups: Starks, Kemo, Essex ( or maybe Capizzi instead), and Okobi.

Okobi might be expensive but Mahan doesn't seem to have really out played him by much. If they keep both Okobi and Mahan they would maintain the abiltiy to move Mahan to guard if something happened to Faneca. I'm rooting for Capizzi but he might be headed to the practice squad. I know that leaves out Marvin Phillip, but i really havn't heard much positive about him.

Probably a few O'linemen put on ps.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 08-21-2007 at 12:38 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #18
mental.apparition
Water Boy

Member Number: 5797

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Two things. 1. It wasn't the middle of the line that was weak.. it was the right side that was weak. The RG and RT were HORRIBLE last year. So yes, it was a WEAK line coming into the year. Now, Simmons seems to be doing much better, which just leaves Starks. If Colon takes care of Starks, I am comfortable with the line, provided that Mahan steps up... or Okobi. However, I am NOT comfortable with our back ups. I was hoping for Kemo to step up, but have been disappointed.

However, we ABSOLUTELY need help on the Oline... at least in the backups. Our WR's seem to be coming along. Our RB's seems decent enough. So once again, we are looking at Oline. Even if we go 16-0 and take the SB with 40 points to spare... We STILL need depth at the O-line. Fanaca is gone, and we have NO replacement after this year.
As long as you're preaching how about giving it straight? The ENTIRE offensive line stunk up the joint in 2006. Which is why I said throw it out. Neither Smith nor Faneca nor Hartings had good or great seasons. The entire unit got smacked around for entire games - JAX, SD, BAL1 & BAL2 come to mind immediately.

Alan Faneca should have declined that All Pro in shame. I believe most of his temper tantrum over the summer was due to the fact his weakness (pass blocking) is going to be exposed in the evolving Steelers offense. Faneca knows if he can't step up his game over his 2006 performance his is not getting anywhere near the top G money next year so he pressed for it this year.

Why even discuss next year? This is the NFL and this team will probably look a lot different by January and then you discuss next year.

As for depth this year the Steelers are likely to carry Kemo, Starks and Okobi. All three have started NFL games and provide levels of play near the starters ahead of them. Even Essex, as bad as he's looked in the pre season, gives the Steelers something to work with in case Marvel goes down for an extended time. Sure you've got to change the game plan somewhat and give Essex help on the corner with a TE or RB but the Steelers have also won with him starting at LT.

If you must look to the future, see Cappy and Cam stashed on the practice squad this year and developing for next. Hell, if Simmons can raise his game to expectations this year you might just see him re-signed next spring at a fair deal.

The Steelers have a bigger depth problem this year @ DL than OL.
mental.apparition is offline   Reply With Quote