Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default My Canoe Trip

Every year I take a 30 mile caoe trip with my son. I was especially looking forward to this year because as I grow older ..(and slower)..my son grows older..(and stronger)..thus less work on my part.
Well, last Sunday we put into the water at Current River in the Ozark mountains of southern Missouri. As luck would have it, we were fortunate enough to reach our destination approximatley one hour before the thunderstorm remnants of Hurricane Dean.
For thirty solid hours we had enough water falling from the sky to equal the amount of water under the canoe. I have to admit that it was sort of a challenge to battle the nature tag-team of Terrain and Weather...but the thrill of victory wears thin when your underwear is wet for two days. All that aside we still had a very good time and my son and I made some incredible... priceless ...memories that I will never forget and that I will treasure forever.
Anyway....We finally get out of the water after three days...get back to the canoe rental HQ...to find that all our vehicles had been broken into. Our parties grand total loss: 5 cellphones...3 hand held PSP-type games...and about $300 in cash. (strangely enough they found my phone but not my wallet right beside it)
I will never understand the mindset of those who obtain through theft what others (incuding kids) have worked hard to earn.

.....but you know...I still have the memories.....priceless.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268
Default Re: My Canoe Trip

I have run that river LLT its been a few years back...........

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

You see any bald kids playing banjo sitting outside a shack?

I've never been canoeing but it sounds like great fun, if the weather here in the UK continues as it has all summer it may soon be the best mode of transport!

I've done white water rafting in New Zealand which was awesome, its intersting to see how quick your half hour tarining course goes out the window when someone comes flying across the dingy and into the water taking you with them!
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
You see any bald kids playing banjo sitting outside a shack?

I've never been canoeing but it sounds like great fun, if the weather here in the UK continues as it has all summer it may soon be the best mode of transport!

I've done white water rafting in New Zealand which was awesome, its intersting to see how quick your half hour tarining course goes out the window when someone comes flying across the dingy and into the water taking you with them!
Even the mutant bald kids with banjos know better than to sit out in the rain....the only mentally deficient people on the river were in my canoe.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Sounds like a great trip, except the theft.

My wife had her purse and phone stolen from her sisters car, in downtown cleveland , about three months ago. They were running a 6k for breast cancer, and came back to a shattered window. Once I found out, I called the cell phone and argued with a girl, I wont repeat what she said. I wanted to kill her, i told her that, anyway my wife spent 9 hours at the bank, and six hours at the SS office, and we still had two checks bounce because we couldnt think of every check that we had that wasnt cashed and the ones that come out directly. So when they changed all the acoount numbers for us, some things were missed. She was the victim, but she had to spend more time fixing everything and the thieves get off scott free.

The money, cell phone, keys etc. could all be replaced. She had an expensive sentimental bracelet, and the first mothers day card , that our daughter could actually write love and mom, she cared with her always. Those are priceless.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

OMG LLT - I'm so sorry about those thieving bastards stealing your things. It is pitiful that these creeps have nothing more productive to do than to steal from hard-working decent folks. As you said, though - you have the wonderful memories of that special time with your son that is indeed priceless and something that no one can take away from you!

cleves - my God, that is just awful!!!!! How can people do this and sleep at night???

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
OMG LLT - I'm so sorry about those thieving bastards stealing your things. It is pitiful that these creeps have nothing more productive to do than to steal from hard-working decent folks. As you said, though - you have the wonderful memories of that special time with your son that is indeed priceless and something that no one can take away from you!

cleves - my God, that is just awful!!!!! How can people do this and sleep at night???
all things work out....I was telling my neighbor about what happned and he walked over to his suv....returning with a brand new RAZR....For whatever reason he only uses his business phone and the RAZR wasn't being used....I am officially back up and running and none the worst for the incident.
Cleve...that does suck...I didnt have NEAR the aftereffects that your wife had.

***Sidenote***
If any of you ever have your phone stolen..get a police report IMMEDIATLEY...then cancel the phone....the phone company CANNOT bill you for any calls AFTER the report since it is a legal document that states that you were no longer in possession of the phone...(I had to argue with verizon for about 10 minutes until a supervisor got on the phone and confirmed this)
Old 08-25-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

That sucks (you know, the theft part), but it sounds like one of those things that you will look back and laugh at a lot sooner rather then later.