Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Pirates

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #11
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Pirates? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Uh, the Nuttings didn't pull the trigger on the draft pick. That was McC and his boys.

Like I said, don't be surprised when the whole staff gets canned and Nutting throwns around some serious cash.
Uh, yeah that's what Nutting told the fans. He gave Littlefield and McClatchy complete control. Personally, I don't buy it. Then again, why should I considering the source? IMO, Nutting had some say in who we should draft. He's a big boy. He knows how to open his mouth (too bad not his wallet) and speak his mind. And finally, he owns the team. I find it very hard to believe that he did not have some say in who we drafted. I believe that like I believed that this year was the year we were going to reach .500.

Eitherway, it's still Nutting keeping that wallet closed. Nevermind the draft pick.

As for Littlefield and company getting the axe. I wouldn't be surprised. It has been rumored here for some months now. After this years showing for Tracy, it's understandable. Since 2001 with Littlefield, it's understandable. At least I would hope so. They need to do something even though I still feel ownership is to blame when all is said and done.

Let me know when you hear from your realiable someone that Nutting is selling the team, then I will get excited.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

First, about the draft.

For every Alex Rodriguez out there, there are at least two Brien Taylors. So I'm not really upset at the way the draft went down. The top high school kids were all pretty raw and the best college kids were a notch below the normal quality.

About Nutting.

I'm going to give the guy a chance. But if he hires Dan Duquette as CEO, I'll wash my hands of the Bucs.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
First, about the draft.

For every Alex Rodriguez out there, there are at least two Brien Taylors. So I'm not really upset at the way the draft went down. The top high school kids were all pretty raw and the best college kids were a notch below the normal quality.
For a team who needs a spark at the plate, I'll take that gamble over what we took. That's part of the draft....a gamble. If we were the Yankees or Red Sox, I wouldn't be nearly as upset. I'll take a big bat over a pitcher at this point in Pirates history. IMO, this team needs to take the best player available. But that would mean Nutting might have to open up his wallet down the road. God forbid.

Quote:
About Nutting.

I'm going to give the guy a chance. But if he hires Dan Duquette as CEO, I'll wash my hands of the Bucs.
I've seen and heard enough. When he leaves, I'll be happy and have higher hopes. Until then, I'm not expecting a playoff run.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

BTW, if we reach the playoffs with Nutting in charge, I'll be more than happy to eat my crow.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
Jeremy
Banned

So who were you looking at? Weiters?

Most pro scouts saw him more in the mold of Jason Varitek than Mike Piazza.

Besides, catcher is a position where the Bucs actually have some depth in the minors. If he was a first baseman or an outfielder, I would have been more upset that the Bucs passed on him. But he's a catcher. The upside there isn't what most people think it is.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
So who were you looking at? Weiters?

Most pro scouts saw him more in the mold of Jason Varitek than Mike Piazza.

Besides, catcher is a position where the Bucs actually have some depth in the minors. If he was a first baseman or an outfielder, I would have been more upset that the Bucs passed on him. But he's a catcher. The upside there isn't what most people think it is.
At this point, after hearing about the pitcher we took, I would have taken anybody. But I wouldn't have minded seeing Weiters......a nice bat in the lineup. I'm also not so sure that the "depth at catcher" is as good as we thought it was going to be. That remains to be seen, but I'll take Weiters and the chance of a big bat over the pitcher we took.

Maybe when that pick blows out his arm and we destroy him in the minors, opinions will change. Maybe. Then again, the majority of the Pittsburgh area was pissed when we took Moskos. So thankfully I'm not the only one. At the end of the day with this team, I still say you take the best player available.

Baltimore says "thank you".
Old 08-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #17
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
At this point, after hearing about the pitcher we took, I would have taken anybody. But I wouldn't have minded seeing Weiters......a nice bat in the lineup. I'm also not so sure that the "depth at catcher" is as good as we thought it was going to be. That remains to be seen, but I'll take Weiters and the chance of a big bat over the pitcher we took.

Maybe when that pick blows out his arm and we destroy him in the minors, opinions will change. Maybe. At the end of the day, I still say you take the best player available.

Baltimore says "thank you".
Ok, he doesn't project as a big bat at the major league level. That's the point I was trying to make. A lot of people like him because he's a switch hitter, but if he wants to be a big bat he'd almost have to pull a position change before he gets to The Show. He doesn't really look like the next Texiera.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #18
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Ok, he doesn't project as a big bat at the major league level. That's the point I was trying to make. A lot of people like him because he's a switch hitter, but if he wants to be a big bat he'd almost have to pull a position change before he gets to The Show. He doesn't really look like the next Texiera.
And Moskos doesn't really look like the next Clemens...lol. Like I said, IMO with this team, you take the best player available. Baltimore had no problem pulling the trigger and taking that "gamble" on the kid. I guess they see something in the kid that our highly proven and reliable scouts missed.

I guess only time will tell. Much like with Nutting getting this team in a playoff run at some point in the next 50 years, I'll eat my crow if Moskos pans out. Hell, I'll eat my crow if this kid makes it to the majors while not having some type of lingering arm injury following in his shadow....
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
Jeremy
Banned

I would have taken a chance on LaPorta. I'm not sold on Weiters.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
I would have taken a chance on LaPorta. I'm not sold on Weiters.
I would have taken a chance on LaPorta, a dead Babe Ruth or Weiters. I'm not sold on Moskos.