Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,912
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,346
Thanked 7,538 Times in 3,348 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
OK. Its Seymour.

I dont dispute that he will be missed - he is the best 3-4 DE in the game - but I fail to see how having old LBers (again no dispute here) could possibly relevant to an injury to a 27 year old DE?

Thats my point.
You keep throwing out his age of 27 as if he is practicing law or investment banking - wear and tear on the knees of linemen carrying serious weight can erode skills fairly significantly while a player is still in his mid to late - 20s.

Belichick may correctly assume it is all about the playoffs (which the Pats obviously are going to make given the level of competition in their division) and that having Seymour good to go in January is all that matters, but given that the D was the problem in the playoffs last season having your best lineman out the first 6 weeks of the season has to be at least a minor cause of concern even in that best of all possible worlds that exists in Foxborough.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,324
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,941
Thanked 8,434 Times in 3,552 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

i think the point is the patriot "superstars" are already dropping flies and the most injury prone ones havent even taken the field.

everyone needs to put away the annointing oil.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
rog
Starter
 
rog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: i live in bellwood pa near altoona pa
Posts: 414
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5902
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
OK. Its Seymour.

I dont dispute that he will be missed - he is the best 3-4 DE in the game - but I fail to see how having old LBers (again no dispute here) could possibly relevant to an injury to a 27 year old DE?

Thats my point.
O.k. so I have no problem admitting to not being a good speller. The age of the Pats LB have nothing to do with anyone getting injured. I was not trying to make a connection between the two. What I was trying to say was with the age of the LB the possibility that they may not be as good as they have in the past could hurt and when you add in that Seymour will miss 6 weeks and Harrison out 4 weeks the first month or so could be a little harder than expected.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
You keep throwing out his age of 27 as if he is practicing law or investment banking - wear and tear on the knees of linemen carrying serious weight can erode skills fairly significantly while a player is still in his mid to late - 20s.

Belichick may correctly assume it is all about the playoffs (which the Pats obviously are going to make given the level of competition in their division) and that having Seymour good to go in January is all that matters, but given that the D was the problem in the playoffs last season having your best lineman out the first 6 weeks of the season has to be at least a minor cause of concern even in that best of all possible worlds that exists in Foxborough.
Casey Hampton - 29
Chris Hoke - 31
Brett Keisel - 28
Travis Kirschke - 32
Aaron Smith - 31.

I'd take a closer look at the Steelers D-line before labelling the Patriots as 'old' or whatever it was you were attempting to do.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
O.k. so I have no problem admitting to not being a good speller. The age of the Pats LB have nothing to do with anyone getting injured. I was not trying to make a connection between the two. What I was trying to say was with the age of the LB the possibility that they may not be as good as they have in the past could hurt and when you add in that Seymour will miss 6 weeks and Harrison out 4 weeks the first month or so could be a little harder than expected.
Its just a bug bear of mine - getting a players name wrong (and Seymour gets this worse than most) when its already there in the title..even the OP couldn't manage to spell it correctly two consecutive posts

Anyhow, I agree that the combined losses will definitely hurt - we will lose performance, that is absolutely guaranteed.... I just hope we can scheme and play well enough in other areas to counteract thise two losses.

Another poster PM'ed me on this subject before the thread went up and I totally agreed that those losses would hurt.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
rog
Starter
 
rog's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: i live in bellwood pa near altoona pa
Posts: 414
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5902
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Its just a bug bear of mine - getting a players name wrong (and Seymour gets this worse than most) when its already there in the title..even the OP couldn't manage to spell it correctly two consecutive posts

Anyhow, I agree that the combined losses will definitely hurt - we will lose performance, that is absolutely guaranteed.... I just hope we can scheme and play well enough in other areas to counteract thise two losses.

Another poster PM'ed me on this subject before the thread went up and I totally agreed that those losses would hurt.
Some people just like to talk trash instead of actually talk about football. I like seeing teams compete at their best, I know fans that hope for injuries and guys missing time like this just to hope for an edge for their favorite teams.
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter
 
Atlanta Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,912
Member Number: 728
Thanks: 2,346
Thanked 7,538 Times in 3,348 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Casey Hampton - 29
Chris Hoke - 31
Brett Keisel - 28
Travis Kirschke - 32
Aaron Smith - 31.

I'd take a closer look at the Steelers D-line before labelling the Patriots as 'old' or whatever it was you were attempting to do.
Please refer me to where I said the Steelers D-line was "young" or younger than the Patriots..

What I said was that a 27 year old lineman with a history of injuries who is unable to play the first 6 games of the season because he has not recovered from offseason knee surgery has to be a point of concern and further noted that players with significant knee injuries can often have their skills erode in their mid-20s. If Casey Hampton had not been able to play the first six games of the 2005 season after his 2004 knee injury I would have been very concerned even though he was 27 at the time.

If this board can provide a crayon font I will use it the next time I have the audacity to claim the Pats are not the bestest most wonderfulest team of all time and that not all news about the Pats is good news

Nothing lasts forever

NM
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Please refer me to where I said the Steelers D-line was "young" or younger than the Patriots..

What I said was that a 27 year old lineman with a history of injuries who is unable to play the first 6 games of the season because he has not recovered from offseason knee surgery has to be a point of concern and further noted that players with significant knee injuries can often have their skills erode in their mid-20s. If Casey Hampton had not been able to play the first six games of the 2005 season after his 2004 knee injury I would have been very concerned even though he was 27 at the time.

If this board can provide a crayon font I will use it the next time I have the audacity to claim the Pats are not the bestest most wonderfulest team of all time and that not all news about the Pats is good news

Nothing lasts forever

NM
Im simply highlighting the ridiculous nature of your criticism.

Quote:
You keep throwing out his age of 27 as if he is practicing law or investment banking - wear and tear on the knees of linemen carrying serious weight can erode skills fairly significantly while a player is still in his mid to late - 20s.
No mention of injury history here..or did you use 'invisible crayon' for that part?

You point was D-line players in their mid-to-late 20's are prone to injury - what then of the late 20 to 30 somethings that the Steelers sport?

If a Falcons fan came in here and attempted to criticise the Steelers QB situation - I expect that comparisons with the Atlanta QB situation to be forthcoming within seconds....its natural to make a comparison.

And I have admitted (more than once, now) that the Patriots will really miss those guys - I just don't buy into the sky is falling theory (probably a convenient one) because of some inevitable losses.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,324
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 1,941
Thanked 8,434 Times in 3,552 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Im simply highlighting the ridiculous nature of your criticism.
.
i dont see any critisizm.
and i dont think its unfair to assume players like moss, stallworth, harrison, seau, seymour are all gonna miss significant time due to injury.

if all the sports media feels its safe to assume all these stars and free agent aquisitions make them a shoo-in for the superbowl, it is just as fair to assume all these free agents and aging veterans will break down and not even be available for the playoffs.

i mean if joey porter hit the wall at age 30 isnt it safe to assume the same can happen to colvin, thomas, bruschi, vrabel?

i understand the patriots have purchased the rights to be atop all the power rankings. no media outlet has the balls to drop them and and say "free agent signings will backfire and old age and injuries will rear its ugly head".

dick and rod may just be the tip of the iceberg.
__________________
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i dont see any critisizm.
and i dont think its unfair to assume players like moss, stallworth, harrison, seau, seymour are all gonna miss significant time due to injury.

if all the sports media feels its safe to assume all these stars and free agent aquisitions make them a shoo-in for the superbowl, it is just as fair to assume all these free agents and aging veterans will break down and not even be available for the playoffs.

i mean if joey porter hit the wall at age 30 isnt it safe to assume the same can happen to colvin, thomas, bruschi, vrabel?

i understand the patriots have purchased the rights to be atop all the power rankings. no media outlet has the balls to drop them and and say "free agent signings will backfire and old age and injuries will rear its ugly head".

dick and rod may just be the tip of the iceberg.
I won't diagree with those points on the whole.

Not many credible members of the media (yup...those two) think any team is a so-called shoo-in for the SB - its just another strawman argument constructed by people looking for a reason to rag on the Patriots.

Sure they are the favorites...but 'shoo-in' - sorry thats the result of an overactive imagination.

For (hopefully) the last time..... I have never disputed that our LBers are a very talented but old group, and I have definite concerns about the depth behind them - but every teams has veteran players they they hope wont get injured.

Young teams tend to run round like headless chickens....but they get to do it for 16 games.

Why the Patriots should be downgraded when its an issue every team has to deal with is beyond me.
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts