Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #31
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Richard Seymour out 6 weeks

I would more than support my feelings if I was working... I had to quit my job last year because while I was getting very good grades in school it was distracting and exhausting to work and do school every single day of the week... Therefore sorry man but I gotta spend my bucks on food... Yeah, even 5 lol... It's tough... I am hoping to get a scholarship (for journalism) so have to focus on nothing else but school and football pretty much right now (thank god for football)...

Sorry about the personnal jump it just seems that almost every post I read of you is defending the Patriots to a fault...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #32
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

Possibly the most important offseason acquisition was Welker, we get stronger and the Dolphins (who always play us hard..damn them) get weaker.

For me the Stallworth and Moss moves have nothing but question marks at this point...the answers will only become evident as we move through the season.
i agree. he could be what b. stokely was to manning a few years back. and if brady has shown anything its that he will throw to the smartest person who knows the offense and knows how to find the holes in the defense. that person is welker. and the contract they gave him proves that, along with the picks they surrendered.

the 1 year deals they gave the 2 big names, and the fact that no wr's made the list of final cuts shows me the ammount of faith they have. they definitely have hedged their bets and not put all their chickens in 1 offensive basket. im even thinking dillon is on speed dial, incase of rb emergency.

however i have never really been concerned with their offense. and samuel signing could be a saving factor for their defense. so do they go after donovan darius?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #33
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I would more than support my feelings if I was working... I had to quit my job last year because while I was getting very good grades in school it was distracting and exhausting to work and do school every single day of the week... Therefore sorry man but I gotta spend my bucks on food... Yeah, even 5 lol... It's tough... I am hoping to get a scholarship (for journalism) so have to focus on nothing else but school and football pretty much right now (thank god for football)...

Sorry about the personnal jump it just seems that almost every post I read of you is defending the Patriots to a fault...
Hey, no problem.

I wish you best if luck with the scholarship in journalism, that would be a hell of job to have I think.

I didn't take anything personally, if you have any questions regadring that matter feel free to PM its no problem at all.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #34
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i agree. he could be what b. stokely was to manning a few years back. and if brady has shown anything its that he will throw to the smartest person who knows the offense and knows how to find the holes in the defense. that person is welker. and the contract they gave him proves that, along with the picks they surrendered.

the 1 year deals they gave the 2 big names, and the fact that no wr's made the list of final cuts shows me the ammount of faith they have. they definitely have hedged their bets and not put all their chickens in 1 offensive basket. im even thinking dillon is on speed dial, incase of rb emergency.

however i have never really been concerned with their offense. and samuel signing could be a saving factor for their defense. so do they go after donovan darius?
I always thought we would carry 6 WR's - last years No.1 and No.2 receivers are now sitting at No.4 and No.5 in the depth chart, with Washington thrown in for good measure.

We do alot of multiple WR sets, so 6 seems like a sensible number.

Like most teams we will be greatly affected by losing our No.1 RB, it would be amazing to have Dillon come back in an emergency, thought I doubt he would have the hunger to put his body through the type of punishment his running style generates.

Our situation in the DB's is flexible, we released Artrell Hawkins fairly recently - im not sure if he was snapped up by the Jets or not, but he has always impressed when in the line-up.

Brandon Merriweather has had alot of work at CB in Asante's absence, but he is much happier at free safety.

I don't think we really like safeties that almost exclusively play the run (that would be a fair description of Darius?) - Harrison was/is so special because there probably isn't a strong safety in the NFL outside of Troy who has a better range of pass coverage.

So my guess would be 'no' to Darius.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #35
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Hey, no problem.

I wish you best if luck with the scholarship in journalism, that would be a hell of job to have I think.

I didn't take anything personally, if you have any questions regadring that matter feel free to PM its no problem at all.

Thanks and yeah... Unless you make it big money is tight as one, especially covering sports but... If it's what you love I think it would be well worth it...

BTW: Didn't catch the PATS last pre-season game... Did Randy play do you know? I am guessing not because if he did I am pretty sure I would have seen highlights of it... Even if they were only short passes or even just running routes...
Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #36
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Thanks and yeah... Unless you make it big money is tight as one, especially covering sports but... If it's what you love I think it would be well worth it...

BTW: Didn't catch the PATS last pre-season game... Did Randy play do you know? I am guessing not because if he did I am pretty sure I would have seen highlights of it... Even if they were only short passes or even just running routes...
Nope. Randy hasn't resurfaced since the tweak (at least we all thought it was a tweak) during the very early stages of TC - it was a shame because him and Tom had just begun to build a little chemistry on the field.

Hamstring injuries are so frustrating, but all you can do is resist the temptation to rush him back - he should be looked at as a bonus acquisition - we still have a much improved WR corps compared to last year and we fell just short of the big game.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #37
ShutDown24
Team President

It's pretty cool when you can say that Randy Moss is a bonus acquisition... I look for Welker to be the biggest factor though even when Moss is healthy... If for the only reason you got Moss and Stallworth is to keep Welker at slot where he excells it's worth it... Jackson seems to be the forgotten man ins this (Chad)... You have some incredible trade bait next year if he steps up his game...
Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM   #38
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,632 Posts

Quote:
It's pretty cool when you can say that Randy Moss is a bonus acquisition... I look for Welker to be the biggest factor though even when Moss is healthy... If for the only reason you got Moss and Stallworth is to keep Welker at slot where he excells it's worth it... Jackson seems to be the forgotten man ins this (Chad)... You have some incredible trade bait next year if he steps up his game...
chad jackson is the forgotten man because i think he has been put on the shelf. im not sure if he is on IR or the PUP so i dont know if he is out of action for 1 year or just 6 weeks. everything ive hear in speculation is that he needs to be shelved for the year to fully rehab and be given a fresh start next season.

what this basically means is he has absolutely no value whatsoever other than to the team who spent a 2nd round pick on him. he is pretty much a bust to this point.

now this dont mean much to the pats cause they gave away a 2nd and 4th rounder for moss and welker and had no problem dumping branch for a 1st. only 2 of their draft picks from 07 made the 53 man roster.

as it is, i think the pats have a whopping 8 wr's under contract-

t. brown
c. jackson
j. gaffney
r. caldwell
r. moss
d. stallworth
w. welker
k. washington

with all the impending defensive woes (suspensions, holdouts, and injuries) i think this is the 1 year where management decided it was best to let brady pretend he was manning or palmer and go out and try to win it all with his arm.

some would say its cutting edge and giving the most weapons to the best qb in the game. others would say its an act of desperation.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #39
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
chad jackson is the forgotten man because i think he has been put on the shelf. im not sure if he is on IR or the PUP so i dont know if he is out of action for 1 year or just 6 weeks. everything ive hear in speculation is that he needs to be shelved for the year to fully rehab and be given a fresh start next season.

what this basically means is he has absolutely no value whatsoever other than to the team who spent a 2nd round pick on him. he is pretty much a bust to this point.

now this dont mean much to the pats cause they gave away a 2nd and 4th rounder for moss and welker and had no problem dumping branch for a 1st. only 2 of their draft picks from 07 made the 53 man roster.

as it is, i think the pats have a whopping 8 wr's under contract-

t. brown
c. jackson
j. gaffney
r. caldwell
r. moss
d. stallworth
w. welker
k. washington

with all the impending defensive woes (suspensions, holdouts, and injuries) i think this is the 1 year where management decided it was best to let brady pretend he was manning or palmer and go out and try to win it all with his arm.

some would say its cutting edge and giving the most weapons to the best qb in the game. others would say its an act of desperation.
I will take the latter choice... With two playoff loss years in a row (not bad as far as normal team standards, but horrible for the Pats) I think they view the teams window as closing. Now, that doesn't mean in a year or two they will be under .500 but I think as far as their standards go (Three rings in four years) they are coming to the realization that it can't last forever...

I wouldn't necessarily call it "desperation" as much as trying to make the most of the current opportunity... An opportunity that has a lot left but not as much as it did the past couple of years... Ya know? I think the team is somewhere between breaking out huge and going places never imagined or having the window slammed shut... I don't like all the moves they have made this year for this year but I think once everyone settles in and they weed out the bad, assuming Brady hasn't gone into a coma, they will improve next year and dominate. That is again, assuming everything works to a certain extent this year.