Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Tomlin Press Conference

It just ended...

I apologize. It's not exactly the greatest breakdown of a press conference......

On Rossum. He's very high on Rossum. Tomlin stated that he brings a "veteran presence" in order to help Willie Reid along. He is a "dangerous dual threat" and will be competing with Reid this week. He will make a final decision closer to game time. He also went on to state that Rossum is "somebody to be reckoned with".

Asked if Holmes will ever be back on returns, he stated that Holmes will be focusing on is WR duties.

Tomlin was then asked about Okobi/Mahan/Stapleton.

On Mahan, he "distinguished himself and took advantage of the opportunites given to him". When it came to a starter, he was our best option.

On Stapleton, he was kept around because of what Tomlin feels "he can do". He was very impressed with the way he bounced from his injury (mentally) and his overall showing in camp and during the preseason. He showed "great maturity" and "very little error". "He did not fall behind mentally". At the same time, "he's not a finished product".

He was asked about Okobi in the Mahan/Stapleton question, but he did not comment on him. Sort of left Okobi out of the response.

On Parker being a third down back, it depends on "conditioning stand point" and going by game by game situations.

Also, "we are going to be open to developement of men even though we are moving into September".

(Shows his appreciation for Cleveland, Romeo Crennel in particular)

When it comes to our schedule, "We don't care of time, day, place. We will be prepared to play."

On Timmons, "Lawrence is just trying to get in where he can fit in"...."He will contribute more in the kicking game than on defense" in the beginning. "He is competing for a helmet this week"...

About the cuts, "You know it has the makings of a good team if the cuts are hard".

On Russell, "The stage was not too big for him. He's a patient, smart player. Knows when to take what's there. He always falls forward. And must continue to develope".

On defense, "We have an exciting defense, regardless of the negatives", he was surprised at how they responded. "They were impressive".

On special teams practice, "We put in what we feel is necessary", but "it's not a finished product. Our coverage was respectable.".

On Roethlisberger, he responded "well" to more responsibility. A "capable QB".

On James Harrison, he likes where he is. He "comfortable" with him. Harrison has "no fear of the unknown". His role has changed a little, by becoming captain of ST and a starter.

On Willie Colon. He will get the start on Sunday. While it's only his second year "he's been there and done that". Tomlin is pleased with his level of play.

Side note: Heath Miller and St. Pierre are back and healthy. Our only scratch will be Cooper (hamstring).

That's about it. Once again, I apologize.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Re: Tomlin Press Conference

Thanks alot 83-43. Who needs Cowher, Tomlin has some pretty good quotes to remember!!

He knows what to say to build people up without propping them up to high,

On Russell, "The stage was not too big for him. He's a patient, smart player. Knows when to take what's there. He always falls forward. And must continue to develope".

On defense, "We have an exciting defense, regardless of the negatives", he was surprised at how they responded. "They were impressive".

And he knows how to tear them down allitle while keeping them motivated,

On Timmons, "Lawrence is just trying to get in where he can fit in"...."He will contribute more in the kicking game than on defense" in the beginning. "He is competing for a helmet this week"...

On Roethlisberger, he responded "well" to more responsibility. A "capable QB".

I also love the way he keeps that fire burning under everyones arse.

Also, "we are going to be open to developement of men even though we are moving into September".

I can't wait until Sunday, Tomlin you better not let me down I'm one of your biggest supporters!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,422 Times in 3,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I was joking whan I posted several weeks ago that maybe we can shuffle the O-line all year to build depth. Maybe it is not a joke. If you have 2 people competing for a position afer the regular season starts that alsmost always means you have no one worthy of starting at that position.

I am glad we are so excited about our return team that we are bringing in someone who could not stick with what is widely regarded to be the worst team in the league this year.

If Tomlin wants to be involved in the development of men send them to seminary in the offseason. Just because the cliches have changed from the Cowher era does not mean they are not cliches.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,522 Posts

well, i think the o-line is set. i dont think the coaches will be doing any more tinkering in this area.

however we do have 2 guys capable of being a starting free safety. i think mcfadden will be pushed to unseat deshea, and gay will have chances to become #4. it will probably still be open competition who is the #3 wr behind hines and holmes. and russell will probably not be pigeonholed into the number 3 back.

i think all of these guys have done everything asked of them and done it well. i think all of them will have a fair shot and opportunities to show they can do better.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

He didn't mention anything about Anthony Smith?
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

A little more on his PC.....

Colon beats out Starks for starting right tack spot
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Willie Colon has beaten out Max Starks at right tackle and will start there Sunday when the Steelers open the regular season against Cleveland, coach Mike Tomlin said.

All indications point to Allen Rossum supplanting Wille Reid as the team's kickoff and punt returner.

Tomlin did not commit to it at his weekly news conference today but he did say that the Steelers acquired Rossum from the Atlanta Falcons because he is a proven veteran while Reid is still a young player.

"His resume speaks for itself," Tomlin said of Rossum, the Falcons' all-time leader in kickoff and punt return yardage. "He's somebody to be reckoned with."

The Steelers, Tomlin said, are relatively healthy for the 1 p.m. game Sunday. Only linebacker Marquis Cooper, a special teams standout, has been ruled out for the game.

Cooper hurt his hamstring in the Steelers' final preseason game last Thursday.

Tomlin continued to lavish praise on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. He said Roethlisberger spent time today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility getting ready for the Browns even though the players are off today.

"He's a franchise-caliber quarterback," Tomlin said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_525679.html
Old 09-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
He didn't mention anything about Anthony Smith?
Nope. And I was listening for his name in particular.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
He said Roethlisberger spent time today at the Steelers' South Side practice facility getting ready for the Browns even though the players are off today.
Very refreshing to hear.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Nope. And I was listening for his name in particular.
So if nothing is mentioned up to now then we can assume Clark will start?

Although, just as they have that article saying Colon beat out Max there can still be undecided on the FS situation...

Last edited by The Duke; 09-04-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: adding...
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
Thanks alot 83-43. Who needs Cowher, Tomlin has some pretty good quotes to remember
DACEB, it's funny listening to him. He has some catchy sayings. Ed Bouchette was busting him on something a little bit a few weeks ago and he fired back "Ed, your overcooking my grits".

Today, "Iron sharpens iron".

Im sure a good bit of it has to do with listening to the same guy the last fifteen years during PC's, but Tomlin keeps your interest during his PC's. What I'm waiting for is how he responds to questions after a bad game. With Cowher, those type of questions were not permitted for the most part. Just ask Ed Bouchette. Him and Cowher bumped heads on a few occasions. Cowher loooooooved answering questions after a big win, but hated those hard questions after a loss. You know, the type that every HC in the league have to answer after a loss.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-04-2007 at 04:16 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote