Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #11
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Once again....

Big hits don't trump mental mistakes. Big hits are for highlight reels. the plays that don't make the highlight reels, the ones where the db stays step for step with the wr throughout the pattern and the qb has to dump the ball off, those plays win games. I'll take 20 "shadows" over 1 big hit any day.

When the guy who can lay the big hit can also do the shadow, then he can start. Until then, he can watch.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #12
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,119 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Big hits don't trump mental mistakes. Big hits are for highlight reels. the plays that don't make the highlight reels, the ones where the db stays step for step with the wr throughout the pattern and the qb has to dump the ball off, those plays win games. I'll take 20 "shadows" over 1 big hit any day.

When the guy who can lay the big hit can also do the shadow, then he can start. Until then, he can watch.

Tom
Troy is the freelance DB - he needs someone at the other safety slot who is going to be where he is supposed to be (Chris Hope & now Clark) to avoid breakdowns in the secondary.

Until Smith becomes more disciplined he will sit.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

I think the fact that we can argue and debate that one guy should start over the other is great. It is only going to make this team better. I'm confident in Smith, Clark, Mcfadden and Townsend no matter who is in there I believe we got a quality starter with all these guys. Just because Clark starts does not mean Smith is not going to get meaningful playing time the same with the corners.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

It's easy for us fans to judge who should start based on preseason games, but we haven't seen all the practices. I wasn't hired to coach the Steelers (and with good reason). Tomlin is the coach, and we have to assume he knows what he's doing.

One possibility is that when a younger player is pushing for the starting spot, Tomlin wants that player to take the spot in mid season, rather than the end of training camp. This would put all vets on notice that complacency will cause them to lose their starting position.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Troy is the freelance DB - he needs someone at the other safety slot who is going to be where he is supposed to be (Chris Hope & now Clark) to avoid breakdowns in the secondary.

Until Smith becomes more disciplined he will sit.
I completely agree. Smith is not ready to start at FS with Troy---he has great ability and potential--but more is needed at FS. He has to basically call the play AND back-up troy. I completely understand why he is not starting.
We all moaned about Cowher keeping Townsend as the starter over McFadden last year, but to me Tomlin's decision to do the same just goes to show Cowher was making the right decision too---- Tomlin had no predetermined loyalties and still stuck with Deshea. That tells me that McFadden isn't ready either. I'm willing to allow that the coaching staff sees a lot more than we do.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #16
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

i have been saying the same thing.. smith will start when he is ready. his time is coming. until then, lets make the right decision. tomlin knows more than we do.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #17
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,675 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote:

Tom
and also....mental mistakes = 6 points for the other team...big hits DON'T win games...but mental mistakes DO loose games !!!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 PM   #18
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038

Quote:
Big hits don't trump mental mistakes. Big hits are for highlight reels.

Tom
they sure do when they jar the ball loose in the 4th quarter down by 3, and its taken to the house for a touchdown.....
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:03 AM   #19
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I love Smith...but I'm not devasted by Clark starting ahead of him...Clark is steady if not flashy.
Not starting McFadden on the other hand bothers me. I would rather take my lumps with him then have to deal with another season of watching Deshea follow WR's into the endzone...Deshea is a smart player but he is always three steps behind talented #2 recievers.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #20
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Not starting McFadden on the other hand bothers me. I would rather take my lumps with him then have to deal with another season of watching Deshea follow WR's into the endzone...Deshea is a smart player but he is always three steps behind talented #2 recievers.
I thought I remembered reading in the training camp articles that in nickel packages Townsend would move to the slot and McFadden would take his place outside. I believe the article stated Townsend was a better blitzer.

For those that will watch the game (I'm stuck watching the Pats, I live in Mass.) please pay attention to see if this is the case.

If that is the case then McFadden will have plenty of oppurtunities against the #2 WRs.

Let me know!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote