Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Game plan goes through Ben?

Some interesting reading

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_526129.html

Game plan goes through Steelers' Roethlisberger
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, September 6, 2007

Add "veto power" to Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's new responsibilities.

Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said on Thursday if Roethlisberger doesn't like a particular aspect of the game plan this season, it'll be scrapped in advance of game day -- no questions asked.

"I think it's a smart thing to do," Roethlisberger said. "I think it's done a lot of places, and that's the way it should be done.

"It hasn't been done here."

It will be this season, for Sunday's regular-season opener in Cleveland and beyond.

"We joked last year, we'd talk to 'Whiz' (former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt) and tell him what we (as quarterbacks) liked and didn't like," Roethlisberger said. "And the plays we liked never got called and the plays we didn't like always were called.

"That's the good thing about Bruce. We're able to communicate with each other and not call plays that we don't feel comfortable with."

The Steelers finished 8-8 in 2006 after going 11-5 and winning Super Bowl XL the previous season.

They ranked No. 7 in the NFL in total offense (10th rushing, ninth passing).

Roethlisberger was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in June 2006 and had to undergo an emergency appendectomy just prior to the opener against Miami.

He also suffered a concussion Oct. 22 at Atlanta.

Roethlisberger wound up throwing for more than 3,000 yards for the first time in his career (3,513) but he also threw a career- and NFL-high 23 interceptions.

Whisenhunt went on to become coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

"Whiz and I got along great," Roethlisberger said. "I don't know if it's fair to say (me and Arians) get along better.

"We work together a lot more than Whiz and I did, which I think probably helps. (Arians) has asked me about certain things, what I feel comfortable with, what I don't feel comfortable with, what we want to call, what we don't want to call. If I have an idea, I throw it out to him, and he lets me know if he likes it."

"A lot of things look good to coaches," Arians said. "If a guy doesn't see it on the field and he doesn't like it, it's out. There's no sense calling a play that is cloudy or a guy doesn't like."

Roethlisberger has been involved in offensive planning "since March," Arians said.

Now, the offensive coordinator and quarterback will begin meeting on Fridays about specific situations, such as the Steelers' first 15 plays, third downs and the red zone. Roethlisberger, for the first time, will have the freedom to reject what he doesn't want to run.

"In a heartbeat," Arians said.

The Steelers have assigned Roethlisberger the added responsibility of making changes in the blocking assignments at the line of scrimmage and encouraged him to call audibles this season.

"You don't want to call a play that your quarterback doesn't like or doesn't feel comfortable with," Roethlisberger said. "Then you're just putting yourself in a bad situation.

"I think that's just being a smart coordinator."
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Game plan goes through Ben?

"We joked last year, we'd talk to 'Whiz' (former offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt) and tell him what we (as quarterbacks) liked and didn't like," Roethlisberger said. "And the plays we liked never got called and the plays we didn't like always were called.

hmmmmmmmmmm.....................................
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

You guys think that this is a good move? It's good that he has a say so.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
definitely. unfortunately, his motorcycle crash last year left the coaches more unsure of him mentally, than physically.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

i don't know yet, i'll tell you in a few weeks ...lol....lol..lol..

i'm not sure about ben's judgement yet. i think we are gonna see the reins loosened this year, and i hope he has the maturity to make good decisions. so far he has done pretty well, but he was instructed what to do by the coaches in previous years, i believe.

he should have good communication w/ arians, but i don't know how much rein they should give him. i have mixed feelings about this one. ben tries to hard to carry the team sometimes (or he has in the past) and if he gets tunnel vision and tries to make big plays, they need to pull him back. on the other hand, he's been through a lot and i think we are gonna see a new ben this year. like i said , i have mixed feelings. i'm not sure this is the right move, but you have to trust that the coaches know what they're doing.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,617 Times in 2,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by delhess View Post
i don't know yet, i'll tell you in a few weeks ...lol....lol..lol..

i'm not sure about ben's judgement yet. i think we are gonna see the reins loosened this year, and i hope he has the maturity to make good decisions. so far he has done pretty well, but he was instructed what to do by the coaches in previous years, i believe.

he should have good communication w/ arians, but i don't know how much rein they should give him. i have mixed feelings about this one. ben tries to hard to carry the team sometimes (or he has in the past) and if he gets tunnel vision and tries to make big plays, they need to pull him back. on the other hand, he's been through a lot and i think we are gonna see a new ben this year. like i said , i have mixed feelings. i'm not sure this is the right move, but you have to trust that the coaches know what they're doing.
hes not riding around town, helmetless, on a motorcycle, so that in itself shows better decision making and maturity.

this is just the natural progression of ben (and any franchise qb)

if cowher were still coach, i think we mightve seen the same thing in another 5 years.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,080 Times in 2,799 Posts

I think Tomlin shoots straight, but these comments from Arians that Ben apparently has developed the best football mind since Bill Walsh and Ben in return throwing out another zinger against that meanie Whiz are becoming laughable.

I assume someone in Arizona is compiling a clipping service for the bulletin board prior to the game in week 4.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Yeah, I think it is a great move.

If a QB is not comfortable with a play, why in the WORLD would you ask him to go out and execute it? If Ben sees something, he should have the ABILITY to go do it. EVEN if we have a so-so year this year, which I seriously doubt, the end result of this will be a QB that will be the engine of the offense, and a very good engine at that.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
FrancosArmy09
Water Boy

Member Number: 6015

You can make the argument that Peyton Manning was never REALLY dominant until the Colts let him run the show, or at least have first say in things...not comparing ben to manning,just something to throw out there to ponder.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancosArmy09 View Post
You can make the argument that Peyton Manning was never REALLY dominant until the Colts let him run the show, or at least have first say in things...not comparing ben to manning,just something to throw out there to ponder.
Yep. Again, when a QB is in control, I think it helps tremendously... If the QB is ready. I think Ben is.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote