Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 AM   #51
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902
Default Re: cowher still coaching? (predicts steelers 3rd in division)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
I believe that Belichick would have found somebody other than "Garbage" to put under center.
That's what portion of the blame Cowher deserves for those horrible interceptions in the AFC championship games. It was Cowher's job to field a QB that wouldn't make those mistakes. And don't give me any crap about those type's of QB's being hard to find. For Gods sake, the Baltimore Ravens went out and picked up Trent Dilfer and won a damn Super Bowl with the same style of play that the Steelers incorporated during the Cowher era, RUNNING THE BALL WHILE PLAYING GREAT DEFENSE!
Dilfer may have won a super bowl with them but they still got rid of him that offseason. And what have the Ravens done since won 1 playoff game Cowher gave us a cgance every year with the exception os a very few. You have to understand that Cowher gets paid by CBS now not the Steelers his loyalty lies with them now not with Pittsburgh. You can't blame him for doing his job besides he is def. not the only one who feels this way about the team.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:27 PM   #52
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
Dilfer may have won a super bowl with them but they still got rid of him that offseason. And what have the Ravens done since won 1 playoff game Cowher gave us a cgance every year with the exception os a very few. You have to understand that Cowher gets paid by CBS now not the Steelers his loyalty lies with them now not with Pittsburgh. You can't blame him for doing his job besides he is def. not the only one who feels this way about the team.

"besides he is def. not the only one who feels this way about the team"

You're right, but this is the team that just happens to be seated in the city that Cowher will always call home.

This is the team that made Cowher a freaking millionaire.

This is the team that Cowher slept with, celebrated with, and even cried with for nearly 1/4 of his life. I'm sorry if I mistakenly expected a little loyalty from Cowher, My fault man, how dumb of me.

And yes sir, the Ravens did release Dilfer. So what's your point? That just emphasizes all the more that Bill Cowher could have picked up a veteran-journeyman QB, won a Super Bowl, and then disposed of the QB.

I get tired of hearing about how grateful we should be to Cowher for the numerous playoff appearances. Initially, it was GREAT! Oh yes it was. Cowher brought us back from the dreadful decade of the 1980's.

But what many of you seem to forget is THE FACT that many of those Cowher coached Steelers teams WERE CONSIDERED BY MANY TO BE THE BEST DAMN TEAM IN THE LEAGUE. Consistently being eliminated from the playoffs by inferior teams was more than a let down. Simply put, there was no excuse for it. Cowhers head should have rolled after the 2001 playoff loss to the ABSOLUTELY-INFERIOR PATRIOTS!
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #53
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I'm sure down deep Cowher will still be rooting for the black & gold.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #54
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

I appreciate what Bill Cowher has done for the Steelers franchise. He has had multiple playoff appearances and to get to the playoffs, not an easy thing. I commend him for it.

I appreciate the dedication he has had as well. He was coach for many years and it was great to see that tradition stick.

My issue was the final year of coaching. He shouldn't have come back. He shouldn't have said anything. There's a lot of things he should have done differently. Past is past, and I look forward to Mike Tomlin.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 PM   #55
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

It is not like he came out of nowhere with this opinion there are a ton of people that don't think the steelers will do better than 3rd in the division it's not like he got caught defacing the chiefs statue outside of heinz field.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #56
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Quote:
Originally Posted by rog View Post
It is not like he came out of nowhere with this opinion there are a ton of people that don't think the steelers will do better than 3rd in the division it's not like he got caught defacing the chiefs statue outside of heinz field.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #57
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
I believe that Belichick would have found somebody other than "Garbage" to put under center.
That's what portion of the blame Cowher deserves for those horrible interceptions in the AFC championship games. It was Cowher's job to field a QB that wouldn't make those mistakes. And don't give me any crap about those type's of QB's being hard to find. For Gods sake, the Baltimore Ravens went out and picked up Trent Dilfer and won a damn Super Bowl with the same style of play that the Steelers incorporated during the Cowher era, RUNNING THE BALL WHILE PLAYING GREAT DEFENSE!
Sure, during the infancy of Plan B, and before the construction of Heinz Field, when half our best players were seemingly walking out through the revolving door on the clubhouse at the time on an annual basis? That was Cowher's fault too, right? And forgive me for thinking the '95 Cowboys were a bit tougher of a Super Bowl opponent than the 2000 Giants. As far as Belichick goes, it seems to me his '94 Browns got spanked to the tune of a 29-9 score by Cowher's '94 Steelers in an AFC Divisional playoff game. And yes, those QBs ARE hard to find. A find like Brady is a once-in-a-generation lucky break (see Montana in the 3rd round in '79). Ask the Broncos how hard it is to replace a great QB. In the eight years since Elway retired, they've managed to win ONE playoff game. Not to mention the Dolphins - they're on QB #8, or is it #9 since the Marino era ended? Been so many I've lost count.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #58
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,425 Times in 1,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Sure, at the infancy of Plan B, and before Heinz Field, when half our best players were seemingly walking out through the revolving door on the clubhouse at the time on an annual basis? That was Cowher's fault too, right? And forgive me for thinking the '95 Cowboys were a bit tougher of a Super Bowl opponent than the 2000 Giants. As far as Belichick goes, it seems to me his '94 Browns got spanked to the tune of a 29-9 score by Cowher's '94 Steelers. And yes, those QBs ARE hard to find. A find like Brady is a once-in-a-generation lucky break. Ask the Broncos how hard it is to replace a great QB. In the eight years since Elway retired, they've managed to win ONE playoff game.
Don't forget the fish since marino retired. They haven't exactly found a franchise guy in how many years?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #59
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Sure, during the infancy of Plan B, and before the construction of Heinz Field, when half our best players were seemingly walking out through the revolving door on the clubhouse at the time on an annual basis? That was Cowher's fault too, right? And forgive me for thinking the '95 Cowboys were a bit tougher of a Super Bowl opponent than the 2000 Giants. As far as Belichick goes, it seems to me his '94 Browns got spanked to the tune of a 29-9 score by Cowher's '94 Steelers in an AFC Divisional playoff game. And yes, those QBs ARE hard to find. A find like Brady is a once-in-a-generation lucky break (see Montana in the 3rd round in '79). Ask the Broncos how hard it is to replace a great QB. In the eight years since Elway retired, they've managed to win ONE playoff game. Not to mention the Dolphins - they're on QB #8, or is it #9 since the Marino era ended? Been so many I've lost count.

Now who said that Cowher had to find a Brady? Who?????

I IMPLIED THAT FINDING A VETERAN-JOURNEYMAN QB, such as the Ravens did with Dilfer wouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

To your Broncos and Dolphins comments. What "GREAT QB" were Cowher's Steelers trying to replace? I believe that the Broncos now have a decent QB. Prior to that I'll give them much credit for trying to replace Elway. Jake wasn't bad. That's my point, Cowher knew that his QB was less than average but he never attempted to find an adequate replacement via free agency or by a high draft choice. At least the Broncos recognized their need for a QB and made efforts to find one. Who cares about the Dolphins? Their problems go well beyond the loss of a QB.

I know all about the 94 Browns/Steelers playoff game. I attended that game and it still ranks as one of my top 3. And the next week Cowher got SPANKED by the sorry Chargers. So I assume that Cowher is a better coach because he beat Belichick when Belichick was in Cleveland? OK! When I compare the 2 coaches the aforementioned game carries about 3 ounces of weight on the factor scale.

Hey just to let you know, that Plan B touched all the NFL teams. You can't use that as a crutch that was specific to only the Steelers.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #60
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,642 Posts

Quote:
Now who said that Cowher had to find a Brady? Who?????

I IMPLIED THAT FINDING A VETERAN-JOURNEYMAN QB, such as the Ravens did with Dilfer wouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

i agree. it wasnt a difficult thing to do:

i.e. mike tomczac, kent graham, tommy maddox

Quote:
That's my point, Cowher knew that his QB was less than average but he never attempted to find an adequate replacement via free agency or by a high draft choice.
kordell was a high draft pick. and kordell was attempted to be replaced after about 2-3 years of starting.

so its kind of missrepresentation to say cowher and the steelers didnt try to find one. their choices may have been the wrong ones, but its not for lack of trying. i give the rooneys WAY more credit than that.