Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #61
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: cowher still coaching? (predicts steelers 3rd in division)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
Now who said that Cowher had to find a Brady? Who?????

I IMPLIED THAT FINDING A VETERAN-JOURNEYMAN QB, such as the Ravens did with Dilfer wouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

To your Broncos and Dolphins comments. What "GREAT QB" were Cowher's Steelers trying to replace? I believe that the Broncos now have a decent QB. Prior to that I'll give them much credit for trying to replace Elway. Jake wasn't bad. That's my point, Cowher knew that his QB was less than average but he never attempted to find an adequate replacement via free agency or by a high draft choice. At least the Broncos recognized their need for a QB and made efforts to find one. Who cares about the Dolphins? Their problems go well beyond the loss of a QB.

I know all about the 94 Browns/Steelers playoff game. I attended that game and it still ranks as one of my top 3. And the next week Cowher got SPANKED by the sorry Chargers. So I assume that Cowher is a better coach because he beat Belichick when Belichick was in Cleveland? OK! When I compare the 2 coaches the aforementioned game carries about 3 ounces of weight on the factor scale.

Hey just to let you know, that Plan B touched all the NFL teams. You can't use that as a crutch that was specific to only the Steelers.
You think Dilfer was responsible for the Ravens winning that SB? Well, that makes about two people in the world that believes that - you and Dilfer himself.

What great QB were the Steelers trying to replace? Try Bradshaw - for 20+ years. Hence my comment about the Broncos. Plummer was at-best an average QB, just like O'Donnell was, who couldn't get the team over the hump in the one game they didn't jump out to a big lead in (see 2005 AFCCG) and HAD TO PASS to have any chance to win.

Yep, I know that Plan-B affected the whole NFL. Would you have preferred the Steelers played fast-and-loose with the salary cap in the mid-90's like the Niners did, only to go through salary cap purgatory for years afterwards and falling into the realm of the Lions (which they're only now starting to crawl out of), or remained for the most part competitive the whole time? I prefer the latter, personally.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #62
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713
Default Obviously the underdogs

So i was watching a show on the NFL network called who is going to win the superbowl, and obviously the 2 guys said ether the raven or bengals win the division and the steelers not even making the playoffs. They say we have nothing for us and we are just gunna go down hill from now. i like that they say that though i have always loved being the underdog!

Go steelers!!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #63
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default Re: cowher still coaching? (predicts steelers 3rd in division)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
You think Dilfer was responsible for the Ravens winning that SB? Well, that makes about two people in the world that believes that - you and Dilfer himself.

What great QB were the Steelers trying to replace? Try Bradshaw - for 20+ years. Hence my comment about the Broncos. Plummer was at-best an average QB, just like O'Donnell was, who couldn't get the team over the hump in the one game they didn't jump out to a big lead in (see 2005 AFCCG) and HAD TO PASS to have any chance to win.

Yep, I know that Plan-B affected the whole NFL. Would you have preferred the Steelers played fast-and-loose with the salary cap in the mid-90's like the Niners did, only to go through salary cap purgatory for years afterwards and falling into the realm of the Lions (which they're only now starting to crawl out of), or remained for the most part competitive the whole time? I prefer the latter, personally.

Nah man, I never said that Dilfer "was responsible for the Ravens winning the SB". Let's keep our discussions real, OK? All that I'm saying is that Dilfer was well enough that he didn't PREVENT the Ravens from winning the Super Bowl. Cowher wasn't able to say that about his QB's until Roethlisberger came along.

O'Donnell and Stewart definitely PREVENTED the Steelers from winning a Super Bowl. Can we at least agree on that? A veteran-journeyman QB would have given the Steelers a better chance than either O'Donnell or Stewart. Stewart was never going to win a Super Bowl as a starting QB and the whole freaking world knew it.

A lot of people believe that O'Donnell was responsible for the Super Bowl XXX loss and I agree. What most people fail to mention is the fact that O'Donnell nearly threw the game losing interception to Quentin Coryatt in the AFC Championship game. If Ernie Mills didn't reach around and tap the ball from Coryatt's hands it was GAME OVER so we as Steelers fans should have seen O'Donnell's Super Bowl XXX performance coming.

And let's not suggest that poor Bill Cowher took over a Steelers team that was trying to replace Bradshaw. Come on man, Bradshaw had been gone for 10 years when Cowher took over. Mark Malone, David Woodley, Todd Blacklege and Bubby Brister were attempts at replacing Bradshaw. That era had long passed when Cowher took the job,
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote