Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Browns' Lewis will test Steelers

Browns' Lewis will test Steelers
Saturday, September 08, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Farrior was asked the other day if he knew the age of Jamal Lewis, the former Baltimore Ravens running back who has joined the Cleveland Browns.

"Thirty-one?" Farrior said.

It only seems that way.

Told Lewis turned 28 just last month, Farrior said, "Man, he's got a lot of miles on him."

Indeed, Lewis is just a year older than Steelers running back Willie Parker, even though he has been tormenting the Steelers defense for the better part of this decade.

He was 21 when he became the only rookie other than Tony Dorsett to rush for more than 1,000 yards (1,364) for the eventual Super Bowl champion. And he has been part of a Ravens team that has had more recent success against the Steelers than the Browns, winning five of the past seven games.

That is something the Browns are hoping Lewis can provide after signing him to a one-year contract as an unrestricted free agent -- an attitude and formula on how to beat the Steelers.

He will get his first chance in his new uniform at 1 p.m. tomorrow when the Steelers, who have won the past seven meetings with the Browns, open the regular season in Cleveland Browns Stadium.

"The hits have taken a toll on him, but he's still a good running back," said Farrior, an inside linebacker and the team's defensive captain. "We know what we're going to get out of Jamal. He's a tough runner. If he's got a hole, he's going to hit it, so we got to do a good job of clogging these holes."

The Steelers have done a good job of clogging a lot of holes, not just against Lewis.

They haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher in their past 25 games, dating to the 2005 season, and have allowed just one 100-yard rusher in their past 50 games, counting playoffs. What's more, they are coming off a season in which they didn't allow a 100-yard performance for only the second time in 37 years.

The last running back to gain more than 100 yards against them was Edgerrin James of the Indianapolis Colts, who gained 124 yards in a Nov. 28, 2005, game in the RCA Dome. Prior to that, no back had rushed for more than 100 yards since Rudi Johnson (123) in Week 4 of the 2004 season

In that time, they have held backs such as LaDainian Tomlinson (twice), Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber and Fred Taylor under 100 yards.

"It's a mind-set we have," Farrior said. "We enjoy doing it. And it's definitely going to help us win the ballgame."

"We take a lot of pride in shutting down the run," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "That's our main goal up front, to shut the run down and get after the quarterback. That's been our goal ever since I've been here."

"When you do that, coach [Dick] LeBeau can work his magic and make a team one-dimensional," inside linebacker Larry Foote said. "With the linebackers, it's a pride thing. You don't want someone else to have a good day on the ground."

Lewis has 30 100-yard games in his career, but only one in 10 games against the Steelers.

That came in the final game of the 2003 season when he rushed for 114 yards on 27 carries, the year he finished with an NFL-best 2,066 yards.

After rushing for 1,132 yards and nine touchdowns last season -- his fifth 1,000-yard season in six years -- Lewis reported to the Browns weighing 239 pounds, 11 pounds lighter than last season.

"I have seen flashes from Jamal," Browns coach Romeo Crennel said. "I am impressed with the way he reported, because his physical condition was good. His weight was down and he showed some burst. We know he is a tough runner who is hard to tackle. I think that is what we are going to see this year."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07251/815742-66.stm
Old 09-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Browns' Lewis will test Steelers

Quote:
The Steelers have done a good job of clogging a lot of holes, not just against Lewis.
Here's the bit I don't understand.

With even a minimal amount of research (NFL.com) you could find Lewis' stats against the Steelers.

202 rushes 732 yards - a not exactly impressive 3.6 ypc average.

3.6 ypc wont beat the Steelers sunday, not unless the Steelers help him out by beating themselves.

Allowing only a single 100 yard rusher in 50 odd games is a very impressive stat - I guess the ball control offense has something to do with it aswell.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I was suprised to learn that Lewis was only 28 years old. I was guessing 31-32. Learn something new every day.

I'm not worried about Lewis. I'm more concerned when it comes to McGahee and the Ravens offense.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
TommyG
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6069

I'm not worried about Lewis. I'm more concerned when it comes to McGahee and the Ravens offense.[/QUOTE]

I agree that McGahee is more of a concern than Lewis. I don't think the Browns OL is strong enough to get the "Old Man" Lewis enough time to get those legs working. I don't see that same pop in his first cut and he will not be able to run way from our LBs.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I was suprised to learn that Lewis was only 28 years old. I was guessing 31-32. Learn something new every day.

I'm not worried about Lewis. I'm more concerned when it comes to McGahee and the Ravens offense.
See im more worried about Lewis than McGahee it seems like Lewis last year always drained our D because of his size where we have more success against smaller backs.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Lewis is a has been... He's just a temporary fix for the Browns...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

He only has 1 100 yard game against the Steelers in his career....The Steelers shut down Lewis all the time and they will do so tomorrow ............I'm not worried about Jamal Lewis even though he does look to be more motivated and is in the best shape he has been in some time........
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #8
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

That is something the Browns are hoping Lewis can provide after signing him to a one-year contract as an unrestricted free agent -- an attitude and formula on how to beat the Steelers

the browns have big goals don't they. boy i'm glad i'm not them
Old 09-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I expect the Steelers to do the obvious: Shut down the run and make the Browns pass. If Charlie Frye beats the Steelers, well, the Steelers will have been beaten by Charlie Frye. Does anyone actually envision that happening?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I was never overly impressed with Jamal when he was with the Ravens. He had a much better OL in Baltimore than he does in Heaveland. The Steelers will shut him down with very little effort, imho.

My guess is that he will probably be in jail by halftime, so we won't have to worry about him anyway.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote