Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Bill's have 4 injured players

I never want to see a player go down like this......it's my worse fear for one of our guys. Looks like the Bills' are starting the season out in a bad way.

Serious condition
Bills' Everett has operation after cervical spine injury

Posted: Sunday September 9, 2007 5:28PM; Updated: Sunday September 9, 2007 8:25PM

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -- Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday evening, hours after the Buffalo Bills reserve tight end showed no signs of movement after sustaining a severe neck injury in the team's season opener against Denver.

Bills spokesman Scott Berchtold said he was informed by the team's medical staff the player went into surgery at a Buffalo hospital at about 8 p.m. Berchtold said he had no further information, and didn't know whether Everett had shown any signs of movement since he was driven off the field in an ambulance.

Coach Dick Jauron said immediately following the game that the player sustained a cervical spine injury, but wouldn't discuss the severity of the injury.

The player's agent Brian Overstreet was not immediately available for comment.

Everett fell to the ground and never moved after a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half. Everett was placed on a backboard with his head and body immobilized, and carefully loaded into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The game was delayed for about 15 minutes, and the Bills gathered at the sideline while doctors attended to the player.

Everett's injury cast a pall over the Bills following a season-opening 15-14 loss, with several players expressing concern about their teammate.

"It was real hard," cornerback Terrence McGee said. "I watched the whole thing and he never moved. ... It's real sad to see him go off on a stretcher, but we hope he's OK."

"It's real sad," added receiver Roscoe Parrish, who played with Everett at the University of Miami. "When something like that happens to a close friend of yours, and you know how much he loves football, it bothers you."

Denver players expressed concern, including kicker Jason Elam, who kicked the winning field goal as time ran out.

Before taking questions after the game, Elam said: "What we heard is not good, so for our whole team, our prayers go out to him."

Buffalo's third-round draft pick in 2005, Everett missed his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and spent most of his second season limited to special teams duty.

The Bills liked Everett's 6-foot-4 frame, and were counting on him to play a role in their passing attack this season.

Buffalo also lost three defensive starters to injury.

Free safety Ko Simpson is out indefinitely after breaking his left ankle. Cornerback Jason Webster is out indefinitely after breaking his forearm in the fourth quarter. Linebacker Coy Wire, who was filling in for injured starter Keith Ellison, sprained his knee in the first quarter.

Simpson was hurt when he had his feet cut out from beneath him by teammate Jason Webster as the two were attempting to tackle Broncos receiver Javon Walker. Simpson fell immediately to the ground and was unable to put any weight on his left foot.

Buffalo's fourth-round pick in the 2006 draft, Simpson started 15 games last season, and was a member of the NFL's youngest safety tandem, playing alongside rookie first-round pick Donte Whitner.

Third-year player Jim Leonhard took over for Simpson.

Wire was examined on the sideline, but made his way to the locker room on his own. Reserve Mario Haggan replaced Wire.

It's unclear when Webster was hurt. The Bills had signed the seven-year NFL veteran last spring to take over as starter after losing Nate Clements to San Francisco in free agency.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Bill's have 4 injured players

So sad....... I hope and pray that he can make a recovery.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881

I'm in Buffalo, so that's the game I saw today (no FOX970 feed for the Steelers game, wtf?? ). What an ending, but yeah, Everett's injury was ugly. Doesn't matter who you root for, you just don't want to see that happen. Hopefully he'll be okay.
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Thats tough luck - thoughts go out to the guy and his family - ill be hoping for a full recovery.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Prayers out to him and his family.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

They just said he's out of surgery and in intensive care and they will re-evaluate within 12 to 24 hours they didn't say if there was any movement this isn't sounding good. Positive and good thoughts to Kevin Everett and his family.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Sounds a lot like Pollack's injury.

Not good.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274

I really hope he makes a full recovery and my thoughts are with him and his family.

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Very scary... Very sad.

I am getting on a Bills board.... and will post a link back to this thread... so that we can pass our well-wishes on to the fans... if not the player himself.

This is just so much bigger then football
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Ths is one of those times when football goes out the window. This is a players' career (and maybe life) at stake. I hope he's all right.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote