Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,624 Times in 2,869 Posts
Default Steelers Running the Ball on 3rd Down

kirwan just gave a great breakdown how the steelers ran the ball 8 times on 3rd down against the browns. c. wilson picked up 37 yards on 3rd and 7. najeh converted 3 times (once from 3rd and 6). his greatest run of the day was the one where he bounced off 5 defenders. unfortunately he only picked up 6 yards but it was on a 3rd and 7. no way ken or bill would call more than 1 run from 3rd and 6+ in a single game, and everyone knew that 1 play would be a draw to verron.

with the past regime anything above 3rd and 2 was a passing down from shotgun formation it seemed. its pretty evident these 3rd down running lanes on sunday were open because the browns were playing past tendencies and expecting the pass. this unpredictability is going to do wonders for the offense down the line.

kirwan also made a great statement that many come away from that game thinking the steelers "opened it up". not true. they ran the ball 42 times and were very selective and calculating when they threw the ball. with no interceptions and a third of the completions going for touchdowns i have to agree.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208
Default Re: Steelers Running the Ball on 3rd Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
kirwan also made a great statement that many come away from that game thinking the steelers "opened it up". not true. they ran the ball 42 times and were very selective and calculating when they threw the ball. with no interceptions and a third of the completions going for touchdowns i have to agree.
I agree with that. The analysts who only watch highlights are all talking about the open offense. Collinsworth did that in the preseason completely missing that the Steelers ran over 40 times.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Al778416
Water Boy

Member Number: 2952

Most of those 3rd down runs where in the 4th quarter when the steelers weren't passing anymore. I think the reason we converted those thrid downs was that the browns were exhausted and beaten up.
Al778416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Its definitely taking a few lost 3rd down conversions by doing something unexpected to keep teams guessing down the road.

Predictablilty is a real 3rd down conversion killer.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

The Steelers ended the game with 18 straight running plays.

Successful football is successful football. In TMQ, Easterbrook does an analysis of the evolution of the spread formation; he points out that teams now run more than half the time they line up in shotgun/spread.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

thats a great point tony, i must have missed kirwan saying that today. i am very impressed with tomlins approach so far, he seems very agressive, and i don't expect him to get conservative in big games.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I believe Tomlin's approach will be, open it up, score points, allow the defense to dominate the other team and get them off the field as quick as possible. Build a lead by whatever means possible, then punish the other team into submission. Case in point, 18 straight running plays to Punish the Browns defense. That was awesome. I just sat back and watched with a grin, if that's what the future, I'm all about it.

Plus, the deep shot down field after a turnover is a an old Chuck Noll Terry Bradshaw tactic. Cowher never took that deep shot for fear of turning it right back over to the other team. I'm all about taking that chance and going for a knock out punch right away.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #8
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I know that this is a little offtopic but did anyone else notice the number of screens we were throwing on second and long in the first half? Maybe I'm just overreacting but I recall a few second and long screens that got sniffed out early and were unseccesful.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Steelers are well known for their screens, so other teams will be game planning for them. They are tough to get off in this league already, and if its part of your known habits and other teams prep for them, they will be even tougher to get off. The thing about running screens now, is the fake screens we will be able to attack with later on. Ben will fake a screen left, then all of sudden pull the ball back and launch a deep ball on a corner that bit up on the screen and down the sidelines will be Holmes or Wilson just waiting with a grin as Hines Ward is sitting there laughing at the corner back who bit up.
Dino 6 Rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
with the past regime anything above 3rd and 2 was a passing down from shotgun formation it seemed. its pretty evident these 3rd down running lanes on sunday were open because the browns were playing past tendencies and expecting the pass. this unpredictability is going to do wonders for the offense down the line.
Yep. In the past, our offense was so generically predictable. With the new offensive schemes that Arians and Tomlin are cooking up, i.e. running the ball on 3rd down - we are going to keep opposing D's off balance not knowing what to expect. Even though we were playing the Browns this past Sunday, the O was very exciting once they got their engines revved up.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote