Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,967 Times in 4,545 Posts
Default did ESPN shame the NFL on MNF?

i listened to bob poppa and randy cross rip espn because during half time of the san fransisco/arizona game there was a huge ceremony honoring bill walsh and the dedication of the park being named after him. mike and mike and mike talked about it in the booth but espn did nothing to even show a highlight of the ceremony or what went on. was it a grand event? we will never know. how special was it? your guess is as good as mine.

while they didnt mention it, it got me thinking how espn had a camera crew camping behind the endzone in the previous game, like prostitutes around a light pole on a corner, eagerly awaiting chad johnsons overhyped celebration. like sheep, the crew desperately ran after him when he ran from the endzone to the sidelines. the fact that a crew was running onto the field during an actual game was bad enough.

there was already a camera crew planted on the bengals sideline to "capture the moment". you could almost hear the disgust in tiricos voice when they had to abort the live celebration to actually show the extra point being kicked (you know, live football action). i thought he was gonna cry.

all that for chad to put on a cheesy, fake, hall of fame jacket/prop on, while a true hall of famer would be disgraced.

the best years of the pathetic bungles franchise (late 70s) can probably be attributed to bill walsh. im almost embarassed for the state of football and the fans who eat this crap up.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 09-11-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: thanks for the assistance fansince!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,382 Times in 501 Posts
Default Re: did ESPN shame the NFL on MNF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
all that for chad to put on a cheesy, fake, hall of fame jacket/prop on, while a true hall of famer would be disgraced.
I don't think it shames the NFL, personally. It just reinforces where ESPN's priorities lie. I hate that network.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #3
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I don't think it shames the NFL, personally. It just reinforces where ESPN's priorities lie. I hate that network.
good point. it is espn that should be ashamed. and goodell who should be embarassed. i bet coach reverend marv threw down his crutches and doubled over with belly laughs. they shoulda had a crew on him too.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #4
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I totally agree. MNF is not really about the football anymore. While I think there has been some improvement in the commentary, the number of cameras allocated to Ocho Stinko's "celebration" shows exactly their priorities. They don't think the game is entertaining enough and they feel like they have to show distractions.

Most players who are future Hall of Famers won't even talk about it. Woodson and Faulk dodged the question just recently on NFL Network. For Chad to wear the Hall of Fame jacket, and then for Kornholer to wear it as part of the broadcast shows how little grasp they have for the traditions of the NFL. Idiots...
Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,502 Times in 3,738 Posts

When it was on ABC in its prime, Monday Night Football was about getting marginal non-football fans to watch the game and increase ratings. So in addition to the novelty of football in prime time, in the 70s you had real celebrities in the booth (I recall a mid-70s game in LA where John Lennon & Ronald Reagan were in the booth at the same time being chatted up by Cosell), which has devolved into the second & third quarter appearances of C list celebs on last year's broadcasts.

ESPN is still trying to make the game into an event rather than a football game even though that era has passed, so we get stunts such as a third guy in the booth who is not a broadcaster or ex-player (Dennis Miller & Kornheiser) and hyping collateral events such as Chad's performance in an effort to keep non-football fans tuned in.

ESPN make no pretense that it is just broadcasting a football game. The only people who disgraced themselves by allowing that stunt to proceed were Marvin Lewis and to a lesser extent Carson (It Is My Ship) Palmer. If Lewis cannot control the inmates, Captain Palmer should try to put out the word its time to focus on football.

It is too bad a player should have to shut Chad up, but since the Bengals lack a coach such as Belichick or Tomlin who would pull the plug someone needs to do it.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
tony hipchest
Supporter

excellent reference to captain palmer. if he still allows tj houshowzmeup to show him up with every dropped ball or erant throw, i doubt he will have the balls to say something to chad the superstar.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,372 Posts

Can you imagine if that was a steelers player that pulled that shiat. He'd be looking for a new job no matter who it was.

I didnt even know there was a halftime event till I read this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

If I were a 49ers fan watching the game at home or a bar, I would be pissed off and writing letters.

I myself was hoping to see the ceremony.

I hope Chad Johnson gets fined for his celebration.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #9
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

Another ESPN blunder. The pit of sports broadcasting, IMO.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #10
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;291984] The only people who disgraced themselves by allowing that stunt to proceed were Marvin Lewis and to a lesser extent Carson (It Is My Ship) Palmer. If Lewis cannot control the inmates, Captain Palmer should try to put out the word its time to focus on football. [QUOTE]

LOL! And did you know that Captain Palmer read the book "cover to cover"? Amazing! I've never heard of someone actually reading a bood "cover to cover."
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote